X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skipro3
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2015

Solaredge zigbee keeps crashing

I have a 5000 series Solaredge inverter that includes the zigbee wifi radio system to wirelessly connect the inverter to my Xfinity cable modem. It does this with 2 parts;
    First is a chip that goes on the communications board inside the inverter up near where the SD programming chip goes. Second is a gateway that receives the radio signal and connects it to the rest of the world via ethernet cable. The inverter is the slave, the gateway is the master.

So here's the problem;
    The system was turned up about a week ago. The zigbee radio link was fairly easy to establish. Within 24 hours the gateway indicated it had lost communication with the slave when the signal strength LED's on the gateway, 3 of 'em, goes to none and the link LED, that normally blinks once ever 5 seconds, didn't light up any more. The portal LED, indicated with the label S_OK was on, indicating that the gateway is connected to the Solaredge monitoring portal. (the monitoring portal is my Solaredge account where I can view my system on-line.)

At the inverter, the screen display of S_OK is missing. From the menus I can determine the server is associated to zigbee, but further investigation shows that zigbee is not available. If I go into the menu further, to change the server communication, the choices of LAN, RS485, RS232 are available, but zigbee is missing. Also, one of the display pages shows the zigbee radio channel, the RF signal strength and the MAC address assigned to it from the master gateway portion of the kit.

Long story short; the only way I can get the inverter to recognize it's got a zigbee slave card installed is to go into the maintenance menu and select the choice to reload the SW via the SD card. Once I do that, the zigbee card is now an option for the Server selection and the radio channel, the signal strength, MAC address all appear. The new display states that the Gateway can not be found. I then push the reset button on the gateway. Sometimes it works, but most times I have to do a power-off-reset on the gateway, then hit the reset button. The reset button causes the gateway to go out and look for slave radio zigbee's in inverters.

I guess what I'm posting for is to see if anyone else has had issues using zigbee on the Solaredge inverter and what you did to fix. I'm also interested in any opinions and ideas of where to continue looking. While I appreciate the Communications Card Solaredge sent me today, I really don't think it's going to solve the drop-out issue.

For back ground information, here's the last e-mail I had with the Solaredge tech who sent me the Communications card and the most recent e-mail I sent when I got the card, installed it and informed him of the results;

Hi Aaron,
    The zigbee shut down again tonight about 11pm. I was actually looking at the Gateway and the signal lights went from all 3 green to one green.

In a nutshell; to restore, I have to reload the SD Card via the SW Upgrade -SD Card option from the Maintenance Menu and the zigbee starts working again for another day. This has SOMETHING to do with the inverter going into NIGHT MODE. It never happens during the day when solar power is being generated and the inverter is ON.

Here are the steps I've taken to restore the inverter to wake up the zigbee module;
    I went to the inverter and the main screen didn't have the <S_OK> status lit.
    Short push button and step to Server Display
    Short push button and step to ZIGBEE READY display and there isn't any channel and signal strength is no longer H but just a dash -.
    I then went to the Communication Menu
    SERVER <ZIGBEE> is displayed but two rows below that line, the ZIGBEE CONF is not selectable. NO <S>
    I then went to Server Menu
    No zigbee option. Now THAT is weird! How can 'Server Display' indicate 'Zigbee Ready' and the Server Menu doesn't show zigbee as a choice to select. There is just RS485, RS232, LAN and none.
    So I selected LAN.
    Now from the Communication Menu Server <LAN> is displayed.
    Back to Server Menu
    No zigbee option to select.
    Back OUT of Server Menu
    Go to Maintenance Menu
    Scrolled down to SW Upgrade - SD Card
    Select and select YES
    The inverter loads the SD card.
    Go to Server Menu
    Zigbee is now and option and I select it.
    Within a few minutes the Gateway LED signal strength LEDS, all three light back up, the Yellow LINK LED on the the Gateway blinks once every 5 seconds and the Ethernet LED (S-OK) on the Gateway lights up.
    Back at the inverter, all is normal with the zigbee; the main display has the <S_OK> restored, there's now a channel selected and the signal strength is an "H" indicating High.

I'm hoping the replacement zigbee slave module solves the problem, but I'm not so sure it will. I'm beginning to think there's something in the firmware chip that's allowing the zigbee to get unrecognized when the inverter goes into nightmode and been there a while. It doesn't restore on it's own when the sun comes back up either.

END E-MAIL

O.K. me skipro3 again. Rereading my e-mail to tech support, my last sentence suggests that I think the firmware chip may be at fault. Maybe that's why he sent me the Communications board instead of the zigbee slave card? This tech isn't a very talkative sort. I got the board after my e-mail and no reply. Not even a note that he's sending it to me. Just BAM! an e-mail from UPS saying I've got a package being delivered.

Now, here's my e-mail to Solaredge tech support after I installed the communications card;

Hi Aaron,
    A package arrived in the mail today. It's not what I was expecting. I thought you would be sending a zigbee slave card. Instead I got a Communications Board. It's the big board with the display and where the zigbee slave plugs into.

I went ahead and installed it. It gave me a bit of trouble at first. Everything worked but the DC voltage would never go out of it's SAFE mode of 1 volt per panel I have 16 panels so it read 17 volts (I assume it's a bit more than 1 volt per panel, so the discrepancy.) I got it to work by putting the inverter into stand-by via the menu, then back again to disable stand-by. That got it to finally go into Wake-Up mode and count down from 285 seconds. From there, it finally produced correct output DC and switched the output on.

But I don't think this fixed the zigbee failure. During the process, the display indicated that there was no zigbee and that there was no channel and no signal level. But like I wrote you last night, from the communication menu, the SERVER <ZIGBEE> is displayed but further down on the same menu, ZIGBEE CONF is not available. I went into SERVER menu and zigbee is not an option and yet, it's the one the server says it's connected to.
    So I kept trying the reload of the SD card. 3rd try, it recognized the zigbee was there, but no gateway. I initialized the gateway and there was finally communication between the inverter's slave zigbee radio and the gateway zigbee radio.

I'll watch it, but with the initial failure I've experienced right away, I don't think it's going to stay up and connected

Thanks!
    Jerry
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by skipro3

I guess what I'm posting for is to see if anyone else has had issues using zigbee on the Solaredge inverter and what you did to fix. I'm also interested in any opinions and ideas of where to continue looking. While I appreciate the Communications Card Solaredge sent me today, I really don't think it's going to solve the drop-out issue.
    A number of people have reported problems with SolarEdge's Zigbee communication, even when other co-located Zigbee devices work fine. Two suggestions:

1) Relocate your Zigbee receiver to be closer to the inverter. Use a wireless bridge if necessary to stay connected to your LAN.
    2) Forget about Zigbee, and switch to hardwiring the inverter, or using a wireless bridge directly to the inverter.

You can see this thread for a few options.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• thejq
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2014

By your description, it doesn't sound like it's the radio link. Your inverter should at least recognize that zigbee is installed, so you can see the configuration menu. I had a similar problem when I first turned mine on. It turned out that the zigbee daughter board was not inserted all the way into the socket. So I turn off the AC disconnect and reinserted the board and turn it back on. Once the zigbee configuration menu was there, I could follow the normal connection procedure. If you keep losing the signal when zigbee is recognized, you can try moving them closer and try different antenna orientations. Mine worked best when the gateway antenna is horizontal.
      16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Also, you didn't mention it, but what firmware version is your inverter using?

Comment

• skipro3
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by sensij
          1) Relocate your Zigbee receiver to be closer to the inverter. Use a wireless bridge if necessary to stay connected to your LAN.
          2) Forget about Zigbee, and switch to hardwiring the inverter, or using a wireless bridge directly to the inverter.

You can see this thread for a few options.
          1) I wish I could relocate the Gateway closer to the inverter. I live in a log house. Built it ourselves even. When I wired it, I figured we would just need cable input for our Xfinity cable modem and from there it would be wifi to any of the other devices. In order for me to pull a CAT5 Ethernet cable from where the cable modem is now to someplace closer to the inverter is probably not possible. At least, not for esthetics where it's not exposed.

2) I saw that post. I went to the Amazon link you put there;

I figure I can use this in 'Client' mode and put it inside the DC disconnect box since it's plastic. Or mount it on the outside of the inverter with a bit of double sticky tape, with power and RJ45 cable going up into the inverter and it's LAN jack. Then quick config the SERVER setting in the inverter from Zigbee to LAN and it should work wifi through this device to my cable modem.

But before I do that, I'm giving something else a try. I read another thread and someone suggested and tried this;

As a follow up, it looks like it was a DHCP issue with it's IP expiring, explaining the regular disconnection every few days. I found the MAC address of the gateway by downloading the solaredge configuration tool, and put a setting into my router to assign it a fixed IP based on it's MAC address. So far it's been staying connected fine. With the configuration tool you could also assign a fixed IP from the gateway as well.
          In my case, it's so easy. Log into my cable modem via my browser. Click on 'Connected Devices'. Figure out which Ethernet connection is the inverter. (I have two devices connected via LAN cable; the SolarEdge Gateway and my Rainforest Eagle) Switch from DCHP to Reserved IP. Done. Did the same with the Rainforest because it drops if I don't look at it for several minutes, requiring me to log in each time with username/password pair.

Will this fix my problem? I doubt it. My problem is that the inverter looses it's own internal realization that it has a zigbee installed at all. It's not that the Gateway is dropping connection because it's too far away, interference with other wireless equipment, inverter goes into hibernation at night. It's dropping connection because the inverter says there is not zigbee. I have to reload the SW via the SD card (It's under Maintenance menu on the inverter), then reset the gateway so it can find the slave zigbee in the inverter again.

My inverter is outside, but on a covered wrap-around patio that well protects the inverter from the elements. Here's a photo of the solar and of the inverter on the patio right under the solar;

Comment

• skipro3
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2015

Also, you didn't mention it, but what firmware version is your inverter using?
            My display says;
            CPU: 0003.1444

I'm running my original SD card as they didn't provide one with the new Communications Board.

Comment

• skipro3
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2015

Here's something interesting;
              The Zigbee Gateway has a MAC address of 00:27:02:10:51:C1
              The Inverter Zigbee slave has a MAC address of 0:27:02:12:BB:90

I didn't know the slave had a MAC address. I guess that would be due to the one Gateway can communicate with several inverters and has need to keep them straight?

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Here's something interesting;
                The Zigbee Gateway has a MAC address of 00:27:02:10:51:C1
                The Inverter Zigbee slave has a MAC address of 0:27:02:12:BB:90

I didn't know the slave had a MAC address. I guess that would be due to the one Gateway can communicate with several inverters and has need to keep them straight?
                Something also to think about is you might be getting interference if you have any other wireless system (house alarm or CCTV system) in the home.

I ran into problems with my Blue Line power monitor losing communication with my wireless router. I found that my Home alarm system was using the same channel as my Blue line. I adjusted the channel to be an odd numbered one and a few channels away from the alarm system channel and now have a solid connection.

Also there are wireless system boosters out there that will amplify the signal from your main wireless router.

Comment

• ambradley
                  • Aug 2015

skipro3,

Have you been able to resolve your issue? Your symptoms sound a lot like mine.

My system was installed in May. Since that time, the SE5000 has "forgotten" about its Zigbee chip six or seven times. When it happens, it reports "No Zigbee" on the LED screen, and the gateway Link yellow light is not lit (see attachments). If I try to change the inverter configuration, Zigbee isn't an option. I've contacted the installer and SolarEdge but not pursued it further until two days ago; yesterday it happened again, so I left my inverter in that state for troubleshooting/diagnosis purposes rather than reset it like I've done before. To reset it, I shut the entire system off on the outside panel with the second meter, then turn it back on. That consistently re-establishes communication between the inverter and gateway.

Even without resetting the inverter, communication was re-established some time overnight. Today the installer told me that the inverter goes dormant (night mode?) when voltage drops below 10vdc, which makes me wonder if the system resets itself automatically each night. That would explain why it always loses its Zigbee before production begins for the day, and why it rediscovered its Zigbee after production ended last night. That is to say, it never loses the Zigbee during electricity production hours.

I am still working with the installer, who is working with SolarEdge. I'll post here if/when anything is done to resolve this issue.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• mungosocal
                    • Jun 2015

I'm only going to offer my thanks to you for posting this thread. Caused me to consider the zigbee a risk item and include in the SOW an Ethernet connection to my home network -- that it was a relatively short distance made the contractor not even blink at my request. Wireless is great when you have no other option, but in my opinion it is just one more failure point, and to be avoided when doing so is easy.

Comment

• skipro3
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by ambradley
                      skipro3,

Have you been able to resolve your issue? Your symptoms sound a lot like mine.

My system was installed in May. Since that time, the SE5000 has "forgotten" about its Zigbee chip six or seven times. When it happens, it reports "No Zigbee" on the LED screen, and the gateway Link yellow light is not lit (see attachments). If I try to change the inverter configuration, Zigbee isn't an option. I've contacted the installer and SolarEdge but not pursued it further until two days ago; yesterday it happened again, so I left my inverter in that state for troubleshooting/diagnosis purposes rather than reset it like I've done before. To reset it, I shut the entire system off on the outside panel with the second meter, then turn it back on. That consistently re-establishes communication between the inverter and gateway.

Even without resetting the inverter, communication was re-established some time overnight. Today the installer told me that the inverter goes dormant (night mode?) when voltage drops below 10vdc, which makes me wonder if the system resets itself automatically each night. That would explain why it always loses its Zigbee before production begins for the day, and why it rediscovered its Zigbee after production ended last night. That is to say, it never loses the Zigbee during electricity production hours.

I am still working with the installer, who is working with SolarEdge. I'll post here if/when anything is done to resolve this issue.
                      My screens are exactly like yours, same symptoms. To restore zigbee, hold down the screen advance button until it goes into the countdown for discovering the optimizers, then release before it starts the optimizer discovery mode. This will give you a few screen options, one is maintenance. Scroll down to maintenance and again hold down the button for a few seconds and a new menu will pop up. One of the choices will be "SW on the SD card". Select that and change from NO to YES, then hold the button again. The screen will go dark and in a few seconds, it will restore and the zigbee will be found and start working. No need to reset the WHOLE inverter, just reload the software on the SD card. (SW is Soft Ware)

Mine does it a couple times a week, less than before. The company sent me a new communications board that I installed. Before that, it happened almost every night. The board was old stock and has the temperature on the display now. This is the same board the little zigbee radio chip plugs into. I've got a ticket open on it. The tech logged into my gateway and updated the software on the gateway. The problem still remains, but now maybe once a week or so.

However, with all that said, here's a 'fix';
                      I bought a 'Client' module from Amazon here;
                      Price has gone up a bit from the $16 I paid, but still pretty cheap at $19.

I power it off the inverter and stuck it inside the DC disconnect box since that is plastic and the inverter is metal. Then I connected a RJ45 ethernet cable to it and into the ethernet port on the communications board. This little box is now wifi connected to my cable modem box. I changed the communications choice from zigbee to ethernet. Now that works reliably. However, I'm still wanting the zigbee to work or a full refund on the cost of it. No way I'm walking away from the cost, about four or five hundred bucks for the zigbee system.

I would recommend that if someone wants wireless to get this little box and configure it for client and go that route. I have no clue why SolarEdge doesn't do that themselves as it's very inexpensive and reliable.

To learn more how to use this box as a client to connect to your wifi 'server', go to the reviews for the box on Amazon and search the word 'client'. There is a box next to the review bar graph for doing word searches.

As a explaination, client means it will take ethernet and make it wireless wifi. For example; my TV set has a ethernet port on it. I can plug this box into the ethernet port and wireless connect now to my cable modem box and have wifi connection instead of a hard wired ethernet cable connection.

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

However, with all that said, here's a 'fix';
                        I bought a 'Client' module from Amazon here;
                        Price has gone up a bit from the $16 I paid, but still pretty cheap at $19.

I power it off the inverter and stuck it inside the DC disconnect box since that is plastic and the inverter is metal. Then I connected a RJ45 ethernet cable to it and into the ethernet port on the communications board. This little box is now wifi connected to my cable modem box. I changed the communications choice from zigbee to ethernet. Now that works reliably.
                        +1 on this, or a solution like it. I would recommend using a small inline fuse on the 120 V tap from the inverter to power the wifi box.

Comment

• skipro3
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2015

+1 on this, or a solution like it. I would recommend using a small inline fuse on the 120 V tap from the inverter to power the wifi box.
                          The client/wifi box is powered off a power wart. I think it's 9vdc or something like that. I tapped to one leg of the 240vac and neutral with zip cord and a AC plug, plugged in the power wart for the client and installed that inside the larger inverter. Then I ran the small DC power cable and the ethernet cable down to the DC disconnect box and plugged both into the nano client box.

To check signal strength, log into your router/cable modem/wifi server as admin and look to see who is connected. There should be a signal strength reading for every wifi connection. Hard wired ethernet connections won't have a signal strength reading.

I didn't put a fuse in line with mine, as it is wired just as if it were plugged into the wall anyway with the power pigtail I built, but it's certainly a safe bet to do so. If I open up my inverter in the future, I'll install a fuse as well.

BTW, I added 3 fans to the bottom of my heat sink doing this same set up. The fans use another small power wart to run them and the fans have a 3-level switch on them to adjust the air flow. Testing showed me that there is only a few degrees difference between low/medium/high fan speed settings so I leave them on low for the reduced fan noise. I plan to add a thermal switch to the power for the fans so the fans only turn on when the temperature is over 90degrees, but for now, they are just on 24/7.

Here's fans I used;

I probably don't need the fans, but I feel better with them than without them, knowing how heat is a killer for electronics in most cases.

Comment

• skipro3
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2015

Here is a screen shot of my xfinity gateway showing the connected devices. 2nd from the bottom is the client in my inverter. Signal strength is a robust -59db

Comment

• skipro3
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2015

Just an FYI about this little nano , Router/AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater;

I bought the 'POCKET'one and connected a portable hard drive to it via the USB port. (not available on the NANO version). Then I bought a small AC inverter that plugs into my cigarette lighter in my car and plugged this in. I loaded a bunch of movies and TV shows on the portable hard drive and now everyone in the car can watch their own movie or TV show on their own tablet, phone or any other device. Great for the grand kids on trips where each one wants to watch a different movie.

I got the idea from another poster's review on Amazon about this application.

This is an amazing little device! Ha!

Comment

Working...