SMA Sunny Boy inverter with SPS (Secure poer supply)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kaeley
    • Jun 2015

SMA Sunny Boy inverter with SPS (Secure poer supply)

I live in San Francisco and I am getting quotes on a residential solar system, at about 3.75kw. I am interested in the ability to tap into my solar panels in the event of a blackout. SMA says this is a 15 amp 1500 watt outlet that connects to their inverter. This would be handy to charge phones, laptops and smaller needs. It doesn't have enough watts to run my fridge but it is better than nothing. Anyone have any experience with this unit? One installer said it is to hard to get it permitted or approved by PG&E. Here is an U Tube link to the product.

Last edited by kaeley; 06-24-2015, 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling error
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Those inverters are approved every day, that installer was making things up. Just make sure your installer/electrician adds the outlet and switch necessary for SPS capability to be utilized. If you scan back through the forum history you'll see that a number of people have been interested in that feature and selected that inverter because of it, although I haven't seen any reports of someone actually experiencing a grid-down situation and using the SPS as it is intended.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• kaeley
      • Jun 2015

Wow thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to dig a little deeper with this installer. I really like the idea of the SPS.

Comment

• paris401
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2015

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 10k system... I have a few quotes ... some with solaredge, and 1 touting the sma with the outlet- the salesman said while I couldn't plug in an electric stove or the like, he said I could def run a fridge during a power outage... could be that my system being larger has a larger capacity sma (??)

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by paris401
          I'm about to pull the trigger on a 10k system... I have a few quotes ... some with solaredge, and 1 touting the sma with the outlet- the salesman said while I couldn't plug in an electric stove or the like, he said I could def run a fridge during a power outage... could be that my system being larger has a larger capacity sma (??)
          No they are all the same size SPS, 1500watts. With your system being larger, to get the SMA SPS you would have to have TWO smaller inverters to get it as well.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal
            No they are all the same size SMA, 1500watts. With your system being larger, to get the SMA you would have to have TWO smaller inverters to get it as well.
            That's SPS, Secure Power Supply, not SMA. (Auto-correct??)
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• kaeley
              • Jun 2015

SMA is the manufacturer and SPS does stand for secure power supply. My poor typing skills left out th ew.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
                That's SPS, Secure Power Supply, not SMA. (Auto-correct??)
                corrected my post for clarity. Thanks
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• paris401
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2015

I'm trying to figure out which way to go... I've decided on 34 300lg's instead of SP 335's... I have lots of roof, and they extra $$$ for the SP panels will prob have a 10year (+) payback.. so lg's it will be ...but do I go with the sma's, or the solar edge... while my roof is not a perfect southern exposure , its real good for producing power, no shading ... I installed 17 327's SP's panels at my sons house, and he has a perfect south view... not a tree with 500feet... and the installer used solaredge

just wondering which way to go, and is one more $$$ then the other

Comment

• solarix
                    Super Moderator
                    • Apr 2015

I vote for SunnyBoy. Should be a bit less $$ than SolarEdge, and has the SPS feature. Hands down more reliable too.
                    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• sensij
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by kaeley
                      SMA says this is a 15 amp 1500 watt outlet that connects to their inverter. This would be handy to charge phones, laptops and smaller needs. It doesn't have enough watts to run my fridge but it is better than nothing.
                      If you'd like to see some real world data for how useful the SPS might really be, you can look on PVOutput for systems like yours and see how much of the day they are producing power. For example, here is a 4 kW system in 94112 that has panels facing east and west. That tends to lower the peak power, but stretches out the amount of the day that useful power is generated.

Summertime is OK, but a good day in winter will get above 1500 W for maybe 5 hours per day, and above 1000 W for maybe 7. On a cloudy day like this one it might be tough to keep any load going.
                      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sensij
                        If you'd like to see some real world data for how useful the SPS might really be, you can look on PVOutput for systems like yours and see how much of the day they are producing power. For example, here is a 4 kW system in 94112 that has panels facing east and west. That tends to lower the peak power, but stretches out the amount of the day that useful power is generated.

Summertime is OK, but a good day in winter will get above 1500 W for maybe 5 hours per day, and above 1000 W for maybe 7. On a cloudy day like this one it might be tough to keep any load going.
                        Cloudy days or minimal sunlight has always been a stumbling point for me to understand getting the SPS feature.

Unless you get a lot of power outages during the "sweet spot" of the day that SPS will not provide much in the way of power for any length of time. Especially during a storm or at night when I get my power outages.

So depending on the cost of everything you need to make the SPS option work, IMO a small inverter generator might be better justified.

Comment

• kaeley
                          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by sensij

Well I have a flat roof with no shading, however I do live in a foggier area, zip is 94121. My idea with a SPS is to use a remote power supply like a computer battery back up charge things from it and recharge it with the SPS. I need one anyway and it would act as a surge protector and give me a smooth power supply for small items. At 1500 watts and 15amps I don't expect to run major appliances I also have a 4000 watt inverter generator that can run my fridge. It is the Eagle scout or small time preppper in me.

Comment

• solarix
                            Super Moderator
                            • Apr 2015

How do you dis the Sunnyboy SPS feature when compared to all other grid-tie inverters, at least it is working somewhat during an outage? Its a standard feature that doesn't cost anything extra on an inverter that has competitive pricing, the best reliability in the industry, and dual MPPT inputs. Yes, it doesn't work at night, will struggle to keep 1500w going in cloudy weather, and you should have some kind of alternate power if you really need power in an emergency, but for most people - a little solar power during an outage will put them way ahead of everyone else.
                            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by solarix
                              How do you dis the Sunnyboy SPS feature when compared to all other grid-tie inverters, at least it is working somewhat during an outage? Its a standard feature that doesn't cost anything extra on an inverter that has competitive pricing, the best reliability in the industry, and dual MPPT inputs. Yes, it doesn't work at night, will struggle to keep 1500w going in cloudy weather, and you should have some kind of alternate power if you really need power in an emergency, but for most people - a little solar power during an outage will put them way ahead of everyone else.
                              I am not dissing the SPS feature and I really like and support the products made by SMA.

What I said was that if there is additional costs (like the receptacle and wiring) needed to take advantage of the SPS option I would have to weigh that cost to what a small portable generator costs me that will provide me "hours" of the full 1500 watts of power anytime of the day. If my outages were mostly during the sunny part of the day then I might lean towards the SPS but my outages are usually when the sun isn't shining so the SPS option is not as justifiable to me than maybe others.

Comment

Working...