Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by deputybubba
    Dave I just started producing and picked the 3 - 6 TOU rate. Is this the one you were going to change from ?
    Can I ask why ?
    I thought that plan would allow solar to provide power during the on-peak rate time and any other power I used would then be on the off-peak.

Thanks for any info.
    I was on the E-27 plan for the last 15 years before solar and just stayed on that when I went to solar where it's peak from 1-8 pm weekdays in the summer and 5-9am and 5-9pm in the winter. You can only change plans once a year. Since SRP won't let you share power banked from on-peak to off-peak and vice-versa, I was banking a ton of off peak that I couldn't possibly use before April when they reset the account to zero (and pay you little cash for the reserve).

I didn't think they would let me change plans with the new rules at SRP but after a call yesterday (because I was grandfathered to the old rules) I am now on Basic E-23 service. Maybe in a really hot July or August I might have to buy a few dollars worth of power but I'm okay with that in order to get away from all of the timed devices and having to skip doing laundry until late at night. Since November I've bought very little on-peak energy but banked about a full months worth of off-peak and it will be much more by the end of April when they zero me out.

My system faces SSE so I could not get the best peak production in the late afternoon like they would prefer for new installs. What really decided it to go to Basic is the confirmation that I will almost always produce more power than I need. My best plan was to move to basic where it's all the same 24 hours a day. It will be nice to not worry about when I do laundry or having to wait until 8 PM to set the A/C down to 80 in the summer so I can sleep. I'll still be frugal with my energy use because my goal will always be to break even but now I can do it without the time of day concern.

If your panels only produce part of the total you require then TOU can be used to your advantage. You want your panels generating as much as possible during the peak hours in the summer and then buy cheaper off-peak power as needed from the utility. This benefits both you and them. That is why they want to force solar users into that specific TOU plan.
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• JCP
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2014

So, is the bill structure changing for everybody? Does everybody pay $50 a month for the grid and a lower KWh for what they consume?

Otherwise, I see that Sunking has not changed, as prickly (and a bit racist) as ever.

Comment

• azdave
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by JCP
        So, is the bill structure changing for everybody? Does everybody pay $50 a month for the grid and a lower KWh for what they consume.
        Not with SRP. Only new solar users get the grid fee added. With SRP, all solar customers under contract before Dec 8th 2014 are grandfathered for 20 years so they should only pay the overall 3.9% rate increase that all customers got but not the new connection fee or the "demand" feature. New solar customers will get the additional monthly grid fee plus the "demand" multiplier that is predicted to add $50-$80 a month to a typical solar household.

As expected, the other local utility, APS, just proposed quadrupling their fixed "grid" fees for only solar customers. They asked for $50 last year but only got $5. Now they are back asking again since SRP was so successful with their solar increases.
        Dave W. Gilbert AZ
        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by azdave
          Not with SRP. Only new solar users get the grid fee added. With SRP, all solar customers under contract before Dec 8th 2014 are grandfathered for 20 years so they should only pay the overall 3.9% rate increase that all customers got but not the new connection fee or the "demand" feature. New solar customers will get the additional monthly grid fee plus the "demand" multiplier that is predicted to add $50-$80 a month to a typical solar household.

As expected, the other local utility, APS, just proposed quadrupling their fixed "grid" fees for only solar customers. They asked for $50 last year but only got $5. Now they are back asking again since SRP was so successful with their solar increases.
          You have to admit that it makes some sense for them to charge you for the use of their almost infinite virtual battery.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Ian S
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by inetdog
            You have to admit that it makes some sense for them to charge you for the use of their almost infinite virtual battery.
            I agree with this and think that approach would fairer. It would be easy to do as the smart meters used already account for what you've stored. It would be a clearcut cost for a clearcut benefit and issues of fairness would go away at least until you try to determine what a fair storage charge would be.

Comment

Working...