X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derekj
    • Aug 2014

@Bikerscum. Would you mind PM'ing me your installer details as well?

Comment

• ret
      • Jul 2014

would love to contact your installer as well

Ditto If possible

@Bikerscum. Would you mind PM'ing me your installer details as well?

Comment

• warinwarin
        • Oct 2014

good job.......well done
        -ModNote: No unrelated links in signatures please.

Comment

• nomadh
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Yea, When I saw what the 3' setback did to my coming install it was ridiculous. I like the idea of having safety access so firemen can do their job but of course the simpleminded government rules (depending on how you interpret them) kill off nearly 50% of my best southern exposure. So I figure if they can't compromise on something reasonable and functional I may just install small then after permitting go back and max it out with another 6 or so panels which will probably make it impossible to get around up there. Didn't want to do it that way but they are the ones being inflexible. I just love how they can't allow 2' 11" setback even if it triples the power and halves the cost. Oh well I guess they do whatever they wan't and so will I.

Originally posted by Bikerscum
          I SWEAR the new code with the 3' setbacks was written exclusively to screw me. It had to be, it did too good a job just to be coincidence. My roof is cluttered with dormers, peaks, ridges, etc. Fitting all of the Solarworld panels just wasn't going to happen. We tried to sneak a few through in the permitting process, encroaching a foot or so into forbidden territory. Nope, the city was having none of it. The next best plan was to put panels on a lower roof with shade from both sides.

I finally just got tired of the whole thing & did what I should have done in the first place, went to LG 300 panels. Now everything fits on the main roof, price went from $3.55/w to $4.00/watt, 6kw system. (With Solaredge optimizers & inverter) After credits it'll be $1800 more out of pocket. And it will be done.

They charged me just the difference in price from the Solarworld panels to the LG, no extra markups, etc. Those LG300's are expensive... about $450 ea. on the web.

So, another permit submission & I wait. Again.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by nomadh
            So I figure if they can't compromise on something reasonable and functional I may just install small then after permitting go back and max it out with another 6 or so panels which will probably make it impossible to get around up there. Be ready and willing to accept whatever problems may come - you could well be out in the cold.

Didn't want to do it that way but they are the ones being inflexible. I just love how they can't allow 2' 11" setback even if it triples the power and halves the cost. Oh well I guess they do whatever they wan't and so will I.

They are being inflexible because they won't allow you to have your way? 100% the American way in 2014 it seems - and I am American so forget any silly comments along that line.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• sdold
              • Jun 2014

I just love how they can't allow 2' 11" setback even if it triples the power and halves the cost.
              Did you take a set of plans down and talk to them to see if you could work out a compromise? It's worth a try if not, if you think are close enough to seem like you're reasonably trying to meet the spirit of the rule.

After I installed my own system, I helped a friend in Milpitas get approval for self-installing his system with zero clearance on one side and 2-1/2 feet at the ridge. The zero-clearance was approved based on that end having a dutch gable, so access to the area under the gable was deemed sufficient. The reduced clearance at the ridge was based on a discussion with the fire inspector directly, who decided it was good enough based on the slope on the other side of the ridge having easy access. Maybe some inspectors will be hard-nosed about it, but I think it's worth going down and talking to them in person if you can. Both my AHJ and his seemed to enjoy talking over the counter personally about the projects. I was surprised by that.

Comment

• nomadh
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by russ

They are being inflexible because they won't allow you to have your way? 100% the American way in 2014 it seems - and I am American so forget any silly comments along that line.
                Well it seems the NEW american way is having no say and begging bureaucrats to use your own property. It was only recently there was no offset requirement. It makes sense to have one but I hear its ridiculously inflexible. And of course If you design it to encroach a bit and its rejected then I suspect I know who has to pay to first argue it then redesign it then resubmit it. When there are too many laws and many bad laws its hard to keep respecting it. Like I said it only seems fair that if faceless paper pushers can do anything they want then why not me? Just trying to do the reasonable thing. Oh and bikerscum, That system sounds like a very good deal. In San Diego I have only 1 estimate near that price so far but I still need to tweak the config.
                sa

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Like I said it only seems fair that if faceless paper pushers can do anything they want then why not me? Just trying to do the reasonable thing.
                  Come on - if that isn't a cop out I have never heard one.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by russ
                    Come on - if that isn't a cop out I have never heard one.
                    Let him believe what he wants to believe. It's a free country.

Comment

• foo1bar
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

And of course If you design it to encroach a bit and its rejected then I suspect I know who has to pay to first argue it then redesign it then resubmit it.
                      The "arguing" for me was two trips to the fire dept's office by city hall.
                      The first was maybe 10 minutes to schedule the real meeting. (could have done that by phone, but I was hoping to get it done while I was in the neighborhood anyhow)
                      The second was ~30 minutes showing the head of the department the design, explaining where the kitchen and attic spaces were relative to the roof layout that I had, pointing out the planned setbacks (and where I wasn't meeting them) and him going "Yeah, that should be fine. We could just have someone take a ladder to the back yard and go up that way to get to the roof."
                      I was ready to sacrifice two of the panels to allow more of a walkway - but he was fine with my first layout and signed off on it.

Comment

• ver2go
                        • Oct 2014

Interested in knowing the installer as well. I think I know, "YES" I do. They have 2 showrooms? Can anyone confirm? Or shoot me a PM?

Thanks. Looking forward to this ride too.

Comment

• Bikerscum
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by ver2go
                          Interested in knowing the installer as well. I think I know, "YES" I do. They have 2 showrooms? Can anyone confirm? Or shoot me a PM?

Thanks. Looking forward to this ride too.
                          YES, you are correct.
                          6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Well it seems the NEW american way is having no say and begging bureaucrats to use your own property. It was only recently there was no offset requirement. It makes sense to have one but I hear its ridiculously inflexible. And of course If you design it to encroach a bit and its rejected then I suspect I know who has to pay to first argue it then redesign it then resubmit it. When there are too many laws and many bad laws its hard to keep respecting it. Like I said it only seems fair that if faceless paper pushers can do anything they want then why not me? Just trying to do the reasonable thing. Oh and bikerscum, That system sounds like a very good deal. In San Diego I have only 1 estimate near that price so far but I still need to tweak the config.
                            sa
                            If I was one of those faceless paper pushers as you describe them, and you approached me with the attitude you seem to be displaying, I'd be more inclined to enforce/interpret things tightly if only to cover my ass with paper for when you start walking up the chain of command and try to cram more attitude down my bosses throats, and they come looking for me and rip me a new one for perhaps endangering public health and safety through lax enforcement and also for putting them in professional jeopardy by doing so. Also, and as some others have implied on this thread, treating people with respect and professionalism often works better than attitude and attempts at bullying.

Sometimes (but not always), you get more flies with sugar than vinegar. I've found it easier and usually more productive to start out nice and work my way down the civility ladder than the other way around. But, to confirm, it's a free country.

Comment

• ver2go
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Bikerscum
                              YES, you are correct.
                              Thanks for the confirmation. I'm thinking of going with them as well after looking at a few other quotes. I'm in the city, so space is my limiting factor. They opened my eye up using SolarPower X series panels due to my limited space. Now I just need to see if I can get any other installer to quote the same equipment to compare.

Comment

• Bikerscum
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by ver2go
                                Thanks for the confirmation. I'm thinking of going with them as well after looking at a few other quotes. I'm in the city, so space is my limiting factor. They opened my eye up using SolarPower X series panels due to my limited space. Now I just need to see if I can get any other installer to quote the same equipment to compare.
                                By Solarpower I assume you mean Sunpower. Mind posting the price they quoted you /watt... might help people trying to make a decision.
                                6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

Working...