X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HX_Guy
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Centro Solar panels and company?

Anyone have input on Centro Solar panels and company as a whole? I got a quote from someone using these panels and initially they seemed great...Germany company with their US HQ and manufacturing right here in Scottsdale, AZ. Then I heard that the Germany company is filing or already has filed for bankruptcy.

Anyone have experience with them?
  • HX_Guy
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Anyone?

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by HX_Guy
      Anyone have input on Centro Solar panels and company as a whole? I got a quote from someone using these panels and initially they seemed great...Germany company with their US HQ and manufacturing right here in Scottsdale, AZ. Then I heard that the Germany company is filing or already has filed for bankruptcy.

Anyone have experience with them?
      Heard? Did you read it on the net?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• +3 Golfer
        • Apr 2014

Business restructuring occurs frequently. Sounds like creditors have had enough with several of their companies but are apparently backing their US operations.

I'd go for it if it's a significantly better deal than using SunPower panels. I assume they offer financing / leasing. What's the savings over the SunPower stuff?

My philosophy - "Take these chances. Place them in a box until a quieter time. Lights down, you up and die."

Comment

• HX_Guy
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by +3 Golfer

I'd go for it if it's a significantly better deal than using SunPower panels. I assume they offer financing / leasing. What's the savings over the SunPower stuff?
          The system price is decent. The big differentiator though is that I wouldn't have to finance or lease the system and it would be paid off within a year. Our company is part of a barter group where you can pay for services/goods with trade and they actually have a member who does solar and will accept 60% of the job in trade dollars. The remaining 40% would almost be completely covered by the income tax credit.

Seems kind of like a no brainer right? I would love to get the top of the line SunPower stuff but the financial differences are huge. There are some down sides which is why I haven't moved forward with it yet.
          First is the company itself. Very very small, almost not trace of them online except for a BBB listing with an "F" rating and 2 complaints from 2011.
          They've only done 7 installs from what I've found with another 2 in the process, 4 of the installs were back in 2011 and everything else is in the past 2 months of this year. They are licensed so that's a positive and I actually spoke with someone who had their system installed by them in 2011 and they said everything went fine, haven't had any problems with the system or any leaks. Only negative thing she had to say was that the company is slow to return your calls. There's another install they did about a mile from where I live so I want to stop by there and talk to those people as well.

Second is the equipment, which is why I was asking about how good Centro Solar panels are. Is it good? Good enough? I imagine it's probably along the lines of a Canadian Solar or similar and people seem fine with those.

Third is even though the trade we'd be paying with is already in inventory, it would actually cost us in lost sales so it's not like it's free...of course what we sell it for in trade is more than what our cost internally is so it's still not a bad deal.

They said that the process would go pretty quick, design process done within a week, then submit for permits, which shouldn't take more than a week and then they'd be out to install and finish up within 3 weeks. It would take APS possibly up to another month to turn the system on but actually having it up on the roof would be 3 weeks. Sound reasonable? Payment wise they want 15% down payment, 15% after the design, 60% after the install and 10% when it's turned on. They WILL accept credit card if we pay the 2.8% transaction fee which I'd be ok with to have the security if something doesn't go as promised.

Comment

• Ian S
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

Wow, you have to be pretty bad to get an "F" rating from BBB. Sounds like my installer just before they went belly-up and left a bunch of customers in the lurch and nothing to show for big down payments. I'd be very wary.

Comment

• HX_Guy
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Ian S
              Wow, you have to be pretty bad to get an "F" rating from BBB. Sounds like my installer just before they went belly-up and left a bunch of customers in the lurch and nothing to show for big down payments. I'd be very wary.
              Hence why I haven't pulled the trigger. Paying with AMEX for everything should have me covered though, right?

Comment

• +3 Golfer
                • Apr 2014

Are you saying the installer got the "F" rating? not CentroSolar? For what reasons? Have you looked up the installer's ROC? any complaints? How much bond did they have to post? Pay minimal upfront - $1000 and make it refundable at your sole discretion if installer fails to install within XX days. AE shouldn't have an issues then.

Don't pay anything else until after system is installed and inspected by county / city. Sometimes installers want a payment after building permit / utility approval for equipment likely because their suppliers find them not to be creditworthy and won't extend credit.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by +3 Golfer
                  Are you saying the installer got the "F" rating? not CentroSolar? For what reasons? Have you looked up the installer's ROC? any complaints? How much bond did they have to post? Pay minimal upfront - $1000 and make it refundable at your sole discretion if installer fails to install within XX days. AE shouldn't have an issues then.

Don't pay anything else until after system is installed and inspected by county / city. Sometimes installers want a payment after building permit / utility approval for equipment likely because their suppliers find them not to be creditworthy and won't extend credit.
                  Sorry, should have been more clear. The installer got an "F" rating. Centro Solar has an A+ rating and are a BBB Accredited Business.

The installer has an "F" rating I assume because of the two complaints for "Product/Service". Of the two complaints, only one of the people left a comment in which they said they signed a contract for Solarworld panels in August 2011...in Nov 2011 the company told them the panels were being shipped from SolarWorld. A few weeks later the company came out and installed the mounting hardware on the roof but no panels. The customer called SolarWorld who said they never heard of the installer company. Nothing additional was ever installed but the customer never gave them any money either. They ended up with solar brackets on the roof and nothing else.

Seems something happened to the installer company late 2011 as they did 4 installs in early-mid 2011 and then nothing again until this year.
                  I talked to the owner and asked him about it and he said they had a rough time with the economy and such but are now back in full gear so who knows.

I have looked them up on that site and they do have a current C-11 Electrical License, active since 2011. There are no complaints against them and they are bonded to an amount of $1,000 (seems low?).

The way they want payment is 15% up front, 15% after design/when submitted for permits...so 30% before they actually install. Then 60% after they install and the remaining 10% when it's up and running. I talked to AMEX and they said I can dispute a charge up to 60 days after the charge and according to them, the system should up installed within 3-4 weeks so it would fall within that window. That's a good point to put a deadline on the whole thing though as if I pay the first 30% and they do the design and permitting but never install, I may not be able to dispute that as they did do the parts they promised. Not sure how AMEX would handle that, I know they are pretty customer friendly.

Obviously it's very buyer beware but if everything goes smoothy, the outcome would be ideal.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

I think you have to be a bit crazy to use that bunch!
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• silversaver
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2013

I don't think the installer will take your AE as payment...maybe deposit

Comment

• HX_Guy
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by silversaver
                        I don't think the installer will take your AE as payment...maybe deposit
                        No, as payment, double checked...as long as I pay their processing fee of $2.8% which is understandable given the large purchase amount (we accept credit cards for our business too so I know how that can be). That's really the only reason I'm considering it, I think the risk would be too big if I couldn't use AE but since I can, is there really much risk? What could go wrong? <- famous last words

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

It is nice to be clever and cute but nice to have a quality installation, done well with no headaches. The type of company you are dealing with can guarantee that? I doubt it. It should be considered worth several to even 10% to have something good at the end of the day with an installer that will hopefully be around when you need help.

You are asking for trouble.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• silversaver
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2013

First, challenge to build solar under shade, then F rating installer. Classic.

Comment

• Ian S
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by silversaver
                              First, challenge to build solar under shade, then F rating installer. Classic.
                              I probably should let the OP answer but I don't think your sarcasm is warranted. The effort to understand how best to utilize available roof space and deal with partial shading issues using various design tools without simply relying on installer dictates is something I've found quite interesting and illuminating. And yes, the installer is F rated. But the OP has a compelling reason to at least consider that installer which he has clearly delineated. He's also considered steps to take that might give some protection against poor performance by the installer. That he is seeking out advice from this board on all these things before proceeding is something to be applauded not ridiculed IMHO. We all learn when these sorts of issues are discussed rather than dismissed.

Comment

Working...