X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CharlieEscCA
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2016

SDGE Minimum Daily Charge after Monthly Flat Fee Goes In Effect

I vaguely recall seeing somewhere that with when the monthly flat fee (now approved) goes in effect, the daily minimum charge adjustment was going to go away - but I cannot find anything when I search the web.

Does anyone recall seeing anything or know whether that charge goes away or not?

If it does go away, for those of us with any minimum charge adjustment on our final true up bill, the monthly flat fee impact would be offset by removal of this minimal charge adjustment.
    8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Charlie:

Unless you did something to screw up your system's NEM status, the min. daily charge for electricity is $0.392/kWh as posted by SDG & E under the latest effective rate and tariff sheets dated 03/01/24.

That daily min. charge went up a bit. It was $0.32877/day (which == $120.00/yr. BTW). That rate and min. charge will probably be going up sometime between now and the end of 2025 for most residential users but probably in an incremental fashion - some users sooner, some later. I still can't find any POCO info on how any W-2 based rate schemes will impact solar system owners.

The latest I can find from the POCO is that NEM 1.0 and 2.0 users' systems will keep their 20 yr. NEM agreement which stays with the system - not the owner (unless they (the system owners) do something to negate the agreement).

The flat fee was indeed approved but MEM 3.0 or subsequent new NEM customers users get screwed the most under the recent changes the details of which are still being worked out which can tend to make things look more screwed up than they already are.

There seems to be more than the usual amount of B.S. from all sides of the latest NEM follies.
    I stick with SDG & E supplied info and try my best to wade through all their cryptic garbage rather than trying to interpret a bunch of media and peddler gaslighting.

I'm sure happy I stayed with Schedule DR (the old tiered rates) and told the POCO to cram it when they were they were trying to trick everyone off NEM 1.0 and over to T.O.U. rates.

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2016

My NEM 2.0 is still in good order. I've now had four true-ups at the new house, and all have had excess kWH produced (anywhere from 1500 to about 3000) with only amount owed due to non bypassable charges and minimum charge (less the excess payout that had ranged from approx $0.04 to $0.06 and the two climate credits per year).

I am on TOD but with my excess kWH and off peak car charging (if needed), I really do not care what the peak / off-peak / super off-peak rates are as I end up with leftover NEM credit at true up. In fact, once my NEM credit builds up to where I'm confident I'm good for the year, I try to charge when the sun is out regardless of whether it's peak or off peak as every charging kWH I use that I generate is a kWH for charging that isn't having a non bypassable fee for the kWH.

If the daily minimum charge does go away, that effectively takes off over half of the new monthly flat fee.

The minimum gasoline usage (most trips are short where the approx 30 mile range can make many all electric, no gas), the low electric bills due to solar, the low annual propane usage (thanks to new house energy efficiency), and the lower property taxes due to Prop 13 and carrying over basis of original 1989 house purchase (1989 price plus 2% per year max increase) all help retirement in this high cost of living state of CA.
      Last edited by CharlieEscCA; 05-14-2024, 07:54 PM.
      8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

Working...