X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blulegend
    • Oct 2018

Proper installation of footing mounts on flat concrete tile roof

Hi, our solar contractor used a product called Solar Hook by Unirac on our concrete tile roof (flat tiles). They drilled, put a bead of sealant (M-1), then lagged the hooks. Some are covered with the original tile, some with tile replacement flashing.

One issue is the plans/permit called for Quick Mount PV Quick Hooks. The second issue is that there is no sub-flashing. Everywhere I read, the building code and the Quick Hook installation instructions call for a sub-flashing on the deck.

I am asking them to remove the Solar Hooks and replace with the originally specified Quick Hooks installed to the manufacturer specifications instead of just adding sub-flashing to the Solar Hooks. The compressive and shear tolerances of the Quick Hooks are far greater and we get some seasonal winds each year. Is this a wise request? Will removing the Solar Hooks damage the roof more than it's worth?

I'm also a bit worried because the project manager (not the actual installer) said when they sub-flash, they put the U-shaped bead on the flashing, but don't say anything about protecting the edges by 3 course or bibbing with extra paper.

Are there any other considerations?

Thanks.
    Last edited by blulegend; 10-08-2018, 12:48 AM.
Working...