SMA TS4-R retrofit panel optimizers. Anyone have any experience with them?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nomadh
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

SMA TS4-R retrofit panel optimizers. Anyone have any experience with them?

When I got my sunnyboy system with standby power I did it with my eyes open knowing I was losing some power yield with a few panels catching some shade later in the afternoon. I wanted to get in under net metering at the time but I was confident that targeted power optimization retrofitting was just around the corner. And sunnyboy would be the main targeted systems.
    Well its a few years now and I still hear almost nothing about this. Tigo seems to be trudging on. They must sell to somebody but I don't see anybody talking about them. I see SMA has bought into tigo and released some of their product under the sma name as a TS4-R. My inverter is a sb7000TL-US-22 with standby power. A tech sheet shows its compatible with the TS4-L not the R. Best I can tell its not a shading module at all but something that allows a"long" string. but then it says a max of 500V. I hope thats the module and not the string. It also says not compatible with secure power supply. Do they mean just that module or the whole system/ string cant use sec pwr? The ONLY reason I went with SMA!! Plus maybe the model "L" doesn't help with shading issues anyway? I'm hoping someone here has some real info.
    I gave up shade mitigation, easier install and any kind of reporting just to get that secure power feature but now with battery tech taking off I'm really beginning to feel I've backed the wrong horse. Still there are millions of old installs out there just begging for a few power optimizers to squeeze out 5 or 10 more KWH per day, dont you think? IS it ever going to happen? Am I just not seeing it? What do all you installers say and wouldn't some retrofitting work make for some nice fill in jobs.
Working...