X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matttaylor
    • Sep 2016

How to undo a Schüco One Turn Mid Clip

Hello,

I'm not an installer, just a home-owner that has discovered one if the panel mounting clips has come off.
    It looks like the installers might have just forgotten to tighten it in the first place.

I've identified it as a Schüco One Turn Mid Clip, possibly an older model.
    What I'm struggling with is how to put it back on because I can't figure out how to turn it.

I've attached some images that show it has some kind of screw.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
    Attached Files
  • sunnyguy
    • Apr 2015

It looks like it needs a hex or torx driver? Seems like it was either overtightened or did not rotate properly to lock into the rail channel.
    Last edited by sunnyguy; 09-21-2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• emartin00
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

As Sunnyguy said, looks like a torx bit. You'll first need to loosen the nut on the bottom, then align it so it drops into the rail slot. Then simply tighten the bolt and the nut should lock itself into place.

Comment

• matttaylor
        • Sep 2016

Thanks for the advice. Loosening the nut might have helped but I couldn't get anything to budge it.
        In the end I used a couple of cable ties to secure it in place.
        I was then cleaning the panels and another one popped off so that got the same treatment.
        I've checked all the others but they must have been up there loose for 4 years.

Comment

• emartin00
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by matttaylor
          Thanks for the advice. Loosening the nut might have helped but I couldn't get anything to budge it.
          In the end I used a couple of cable ties to secure it in place.
          I was then cleaning the panels and another one popped off so that got the same treatment.
          I've checked all the others but they must have been up there loose for 4 years.

CALL YOUR INSTALLER! Cable ties are not going to hold the module on the roof in heavy winds. They're just going to snap, and the panels could come flying off the roof.
          Your installer has a responsibility to make sure the system was installed correctly, and should come our and replace those clamps and check the others. You have a very dangerous situation on your hands, and it should be dealt with correctly!

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by emartin00

call your installer! Cable ties are not going to hold the module on the roof in heavy winds. They're just going to snap, and the panels could come flying off the roof.
            Your installer has a responsibility to make sure the system was installed correctly, and should come our and replace those clamps and check the others. You have a very dangerous situation on your hands, and it should be dealt with correctly!
            op : Do it ! This is a big deal !!

Comment

• peakbagger
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2010

Schuco is long gone from the solar market. I expect that this may be factory defect and is not going to be an easy fix. That said I have Schuco panels and used Iron Ridge hardware and attachment clips. The question will be if you can find something that will match up.

Comment

• solarix
                Super Moderator
                • Apr 2015

That clamp is no doubt made of stainless steel and as such got galled during installation and there is no remedy other than breaking the part to get it off.
                S.S. is recommended for solar mounting and is the mark of a good installer, but needs to be lubricated when applied to prevent galling which can easily occur if overtightened. Try to obtain one of the various "grounding clamps" the various mounting manufacturers make. You could also just directly bolt the PV panel down if the mounting holes are in a good place, however don't drill holes in the PV panel frame unless you don't mind violating the warranty.
                BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...