X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vatsan16
    • Jul 2015

SMA Webconnect vs Webbox

Dear all,
    I am looking for the main difference (in terms of available data) between the SMA Webconnect and Webbox monitoring options. I know that the webconnect is more suitable for smaller plants, while webbox can monitor larger size plants. We have a small 3kW PV String on the rooftop for our company that we plan to use for research purposes. We would like to collect the following data from the string: AC Power, AC Energy, AC Voltage, AC Current, etc. It would be useful if we had the DC values too, though not as important as the AC values.

So can I access that data through both the monitoring options or does Webbox allow me to access more data? I have been trying to go through the user manuals on the SMA website, but all I can see there are the methods to setup and configure these monitoring systems. Also, what is the time resolution of the data collected from the inverter? Every 5 minutes? Every 1 Hour?

I would be grateful for any help the community can provide! Thanks!
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

The data available from either communication device will be the same. With the Webconnect, you will be able to see the data on SunnyPortal (SMA's cloud service), or also through local software that you could install on your computer. If you want complete control of the data, you can write your own routine using the Modbus protocol (or the SunSpec version of Modbus) to poll the inverter and capture the data yourself. Documentation here.

For Sunspec, AC data is in registers 40188-40223. The DC data is in registers 40624-40663.

The same data is available in the generic Modbus protocol as well, with addressing the seems slightly less complicated. In any case, requests via Modbus should have at least 10 sec delay. It isn't clear from the document how often the data is updated in the inverter itself, but since there is not any secondary communication with module level electronics, it may in fact be able to report near-real time.

If you prefer a more pre-packaged solution (for several $100 more), the Webbox should be able put together the data into a report and make it available via FTP in a readable format.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• vatsan16
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by sensij
      The data available from either communication device will be the same. With the Webconnect, you will be able to see the data on SunnyPortal (SMA's cloud service), or also through local software that you could install on your computer. If you want complete control of the data, you can write your own routine using the Modbus protocol (or the SunSpec version of Modbus) to poll the inverter and capture the data yourself. Documentation here.

For Sunspec, AC data is in registers 40188-40223. The DC data is in registers 40624-40663.

The same data is available in the generic Modbus protocol as well, with addressing the seems slightly less complicated. In any case, requests via Modbus should have at least 10 sec delay. It isn't clear from the document how often the data is updated in the inverter itself, but since there is not any secondary communication with module level electronics, it may in fact be able to report near-real time.

If you prefer a more pre-packaged solution (for several $100 more), the Webbox should be able put together the data into a report and make it available via FTP in a readable format.
      Hey! Sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you. I dont know if you will still be seeing this, but I have few more questions,

1. Will I be able to download the every day data from the Sunnyportal?
      2. I have read in other places where people say that Webbox, unlocks more data than the webconnect. Will the webconnect only give me the access to AC energy and power data? Or can I access even DC data through webconnect?
      3. Thank you for sharing information about the modbus protocol. Its easier, if I can have better control over the data.

Comment

Working...