X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • joemadsun
    replied
    Hey, I ended up going with the IQ Combiner method with a pass-through soladeck on the roof. I figured I need a place to put the envoy anyways so might as well buy a box with the envoy installed in it. Also was leery of putting something that is meant to service(breakers or fuses) some place completely inaccessible(under panels on the roof).

    Leave a comment:


  • ChrisBarrett
    replied
    Joe,
    Which setup did you end up going with? I have a similar conundrum but plan on center feeding from the soladeck. I'm also in Madison WI!

    Leave a comment:


  • joemadsun
    replied
    Thanks,
    That does seem like the safest solution in terms of avoiding any problems that would require removing panels. Also probably results in the fewest junction boxes, since the combiner box will have the envoy in it rather than needing an independent box for the envoy.

    Leave a comment:


  • bob-n
    replied
    You have three good options. At this point, it's just preference.

    If it were me, I'd go with #3, so that the breakers are at ground level. The less you have on the roof exposed to the elements, the better.

    Option #3 also helps if you ever have to debug a problem, because you could separate the two strings at ground level. But that's a really tiny advantage. Your Envoy gateway will tell you so much about each panel and each microinverter. Most of the time, you won't have issues. On that 1 in a million chance that you have a problem, the Envoy may tell you all you need without separating branches.

    Leave a comment:


  • joemadsun
    started a topic IQ aggregator or soladeck for trunk wiring

    IQ aggregator or soladeck for trunk wiring


    Hi,
    I'm in the planning stages for a ~18 panel IQ7+ installation. The IQ7+ branch limit is 13 microinverters so I will need two branches. I would like to center-feed the branches as recommended by enphase to minimize losses.

    I am looking to get opinions on using an IQ aggregator versus a soladeck versus keeping both branches independent until near the AC disconnect near the meter.

    IQ Aggregator
    Wire Q cable at center into IQ aggregator. LFMC conduit from IQ aggregator to soladeck, soladeck just acts as a pass-through, 6 gauge wire in 3/4" EMT conduit through attic down to utility room and out to garage(panel in garage, meter outside of garage)
    Pros:
    The IQ aggregator provides nice Q connectors on the outside so no need to use Q field wireable connectors.
    Fuses inside the Q aggregator less likely to blow than breakers?
    Only 3 wires(2 current carrying + 1 ground) back to AC disconnect
    Cons:
    OCPD under panels, if issue comes up, panel has to come off
    Still need a soladeck to make rooftop to attic transition

    Soladeck with internal breakers
    Create two stub cables with field wireable Q connectors that wire through glands in the soladeck. connect these cables to center connectors of each branch. wire to 2x 20A breakers in soladeck and then run 6 Ga cable through 3/4" EMT conduit through attic down to utility room and out to garage(panel in garage, meter outside of garage)
    Pros:
    Simple solution. Q cables feed into soladeck, soladeck has 2x 20A breakers internal to it
    only 3 wires(2 current carrying + 1 ground) back to AC disconnect
    Cons:
    Circuit breakers more likely to trip than fuses?
    OCPD under panels, if issue comes up, panel has to come off
    Have to used field wireable Q connectors

    Soladeck with combiner box near AC disconnect
    Create two stub cables with field wireable Q connectors that wire through glands in the soladeck. connect these cables to center connectors of each branch. wire to DIN pass-through connectors and use 8 gauge cable to run both branches back to combiner box in garage via 3/4" EMT conduit
    Pros:
    No OCPD on rooftop
    Technically lower loss as splitting the branches across 8 gauge wire is lower loss than running both branches on 6 gauge wire
    Cons:
    Need 5 wires(4 current carrying + 1 ground) back to AC disconnect
    Need a juncitonbox somewhere in the garage to do the combining versus using an already availabel junction box(soladeck)



    What are your thoughts?
    1. My order of preference would be Soladeck with internal breakers seems the most clean, but then I have OCPD devices on the rooftop that could trip. Would you be concerned about that?
    2. IQ aggregator is similar to the soladeck with breakers, but enphase designed it so I assume the fuses will never blow unless there is truly an issue.
    3. Soladeck with combiner box in garage results in lower loss but its on the order of 0.1% less loss so really insignificant overall.
Working...