X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidH
    • May 2018

Hi

Hi,

Thanks for the add to the forum. My name's David and I've been one of those lurkers before registering. I've been reading and learning as much as I can over the last month, but let's be honest, experience counts for far more than that! I'm currently living in Puerto Rico and went through hurricane Maria. We were without grid power from Sep 20th until February but my Father in law (in whose house we were refugees) had a generator that relieved much of the stress despite not being able to run it all the time.

From the whole experience I'm looking to get as much advice as possible for a small solar backup system. l know it's not cost effective and I'm under no illusions that I'm not going to require a generator to run the power thirsty appliances, but I love the idea of generating my own clean power and being able to avoid running a generator for certain things (like charging a laptop twice a day or running a fan throughout the night). I've used a kill-a-watt meter to measure power draw from various appliances around the home to work out the system. So I'll be posting in one of the other forums to pick the experts' brains and get me started on the right path!
Working...