• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bendesa1962
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2016

Outback Inverters in combination with Flexmax charge controller

Hi everyone,

I have a question about Outback configuration for Off Gridd systems. I'n not familiar with Outback so please forgive me if my questions sounds a bit dumb.

Can you run an Off Grid System with only the Outback inverter FXR2348E end the Flexmax 60?

Or do I need the HUB4 and the MATE3S?

If it is possible to run an Off Grid System without the HUB4 and the MATE3S what are the disadvantages of it compared with an configuration where an HUB4 and MATE3S are included?

I hope someone can help me out

Many thanks

Kind regards

Ben

• chrisski
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2020

I have an Outback radian and flex max MPPTs. I have it grid tied.

I would recommend purchasing not just the stuff you mentioned, but what on the spreadsheet “12kw_Radian_2_FM100” on their website. That includes a listed center.

I see some things about the Mate3 not being used, but have never seen a picture of a successful system that does not have what’s on the spreadsheet.

You’d problem need to be an engineer to rig it without the equipment.

i can’t post links on the spreadsheet, but it includes all parts for hidden costs like mounting brackets.

Comment

• littleharbor2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

I'm no expert on Outback systems so I hesitated to answer, leaving it up to others. I will say I have seen quite a number of Outback FX inverter/Flexmax CC systems without any Mate or hub included So it appears you can set up as just the pair.
      2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• chrisski
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2020

Originally posted by littleharbor2
        I'm no expert on Outback systems so I hesitated to answer, leaving it up to others. I will say I have seen quite a number of Outback FX inverter/Flexmax CC systems without any Mate or hub included So it appears you can set up as just the pair.
        I would like to know how they programmed without the Mate. Any setting I do goes through the Mate, either fingers on or programmed through the web.

It could be there’s some generic software that does the same thing, I don’t know what it is those that got the system running did. The Radian itself has no switches and the load center for the radian only has circuit breakers.

Ive heard the Outback described as equipment designed by engineers for engineers, and I’m not an Engineer. The Victron equipment I have is intuitive, but the Outback is a bit harder.

Comment

• littleharbor2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by chrisski

I would like to know how they programmed without the Mate. Any setting I do goes through the Mate, either fingers on or programmed through the web.

It could be there’s some generic software that does the same thing, I don’t know what it is those that got the system running did. The Radian itself has no switches and the load center for the radian only has circuit breakers.

Ive heard the Outback described as equipment designed by engineers for engineers, and I’m not an Engineer. The Victron equipment I have is intuitive, but the Outback is a bit harder.
          The Outback systems I've seen are FX inverter based as noted in my reply. The charging programming is done on the keypad on the face of the charge controller. Apparently, you don't have to do any programming on the inverter(?) I believe the basic settings are doable on the inverter
          2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• chrisski
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2020

Makes sense if a FX is a basic inverter no programming would be needed.

I did not even notice the OP was asking about FXR which I’m not familiar with.

Comment

Working...