Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• almac
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle

I know these posting are taking the thread OT big time so we can continue in another thread or take it to PM's.
    a floating solar farm is just what the OP needed to heat his boat. he could tow it behind

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe
    You won't have any cell phone or TV service among the turbines, since the
    blades chop up the signals. This isn't just theory, I heard the legal testimony
    directly from the people it happened to. Bruce Roe
    "Chop up the signals". Bruce. Are you serious?

I know they can put out some type of RF that can interfere with certain frequencies (cell phone service may fall into that range) as well as emit sound waves at certain frequencies that can be annoying.

But what health issues are they causing exactly and is there real medical proof or just theory provided by a doctor for hire?

I know these posting are taking the thread OT big time so we can continue in another thread or take it to PM's.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Maybe and maybe not.

I know of the earlier designs had some problems but IMO wind turbines causing detrimental health effects now falls into the same category as cancer from cell phone usage and HV power lines.
    You won't have any cell phone or TV service among the turbines, since the
    blades chop up the signals. This isn't just theory, I heard the legal testimony
    directly from the people it happened to. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    I know of the earlier designs had some problems but IMO wind turbines causing detrimental health effects now falls into the same category as cancer from cell phone usage and HV power lines.
    I for one will not argue human health effects because I do not care. But I have been around a lot of wind farms in TX. Very Large Wind Farms. One in particular one next to a golf course I use to play.

Two things anyone will quickly notice when in or around a Wind Farm. It is very loud, and dead birds and insects littler the landscape. You sure cannot say there are no health effects to the birds and insects. But then again I do not care. Not something I can control.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe
    Its not just the coast people. Those wind turbines are gigantic industrial machines,
    not bird baths. They need to be placed away from people altogether. There are
    dozens of very detrimental effects from them that aren't obvious at first glance.
    Plenty of documentation now. I'd better not get started. Bruce Roe
    Maybe and maybe not.

A person has a better chance of getting sick by eating processed food or abusing pharmaceuticals.

Then again you do have to watch out for them microwave ovens.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Big trouble in the US is the "people" that live near the coast don't want to see those windmills and have put up many roadblocks to getting them built. Seems stupid to me when one of the islands off of Maine get all their power from diesel generators which is very expensive yet don't want wind turbines in the water within site of their homes even though their electric rates will be cut more than half.
    Its not just the coast people. Those wind turbines are gigantic industrial machines,
    not bird baths. They need to be placed away from people altogether. There are
    dozens of very detrimental effects from them that aren't obvious at first glance.
    Plenty of documentation now. I'd better not get started. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by almac
    some are on the ocean.. like this one stuck out in the tropical indian ocean http://www.solarpowertoday.com.au/bl...-the-maldives/
    I am sure there are others that are off-shore. It still comes down to how big they can get and how they are protected against waves and weather. You also have to figure the cost to install the power cable required to get the electricity back to shore. Those underwater high voltage cables are a much harder design then HV lines over head.

Off shore wind farms are very efficient and cost less to build then solar arrays. One turbine can provide 3MW of electricity and take up less space then a solar array as well as survive the harsh weather.

Big trouble in the US is the "people" that live near the coast don't want to see those windmills and have put up many roadblocks to getting them built. Seems stupid to me when one of the islands off of Maine get all their power from diesel generators which is very expensive yet don't want wind turbines in the water within site of their homes even though their electric rates will be cut more than half.

Leave a comment:

• almac
    replied
    Those are on land locked lakes with land all around. .
    some are on the ocean.. like this one stuck out in the tropical indian ocean http://www.solarpowertoday.com.au/bl...-the-maldives/

Leave a comment:

• lkruper
    replied
    Originally posted by nhhockeyplayer
    I dont find any of it amusing

These solar panels force to consider a 17.5" wide pot belly stove burning coal right in front and only a couple feet away from a 125gallon gasoline tank right beneath the fiberglass. That configuration could blow me to kingdom come.

I am just going to get a deep cycle battery and a 200watt heat ceramic fan.

I give up
    I would try to figure out how to re-purpose them. Perhaps you could make a crab trap with them. You really don't have room in a boat to take things that have no purpose.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    I will add... hydro power and wind turbine look to be more attractive than the solar.
    I wish you luck in your trip. Bring some heavy blankets.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by almac
    it might be here already, some images of floating solar panels here..

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...75.t1ntZl3ITjE
    Those are on land locked lakes with land all around. I did not say a floating solar array wouldn't work. I said a floating array in the ocean miles from land will be very expensive to build, maintain and transmit the power to land.

Japan is probably the country with most floating solar arrays because of limited open real estate. But even using all of those lakes and ponds will only get them a very small percentage of power used.

If you look at the South-West US desert area you will see many giant solar arrays being built or already in operation. Still even with the 100's of MW solar arrays in that area it provides less than 1% of the power used in this country. When you talk about providing power to cover 50% of the needs, the amount of land with good sun insolation is mostly in the desert which is 1000's of miles away from the users on the East coast. That requires some pretty big extension cords across the country.

It still comes down to the amount of real estate required for a electrical generating plant. For a 600MW fossil fuel or nuclear generating plant you only need about 100 acres, A 600MW solar array would require 1000's of acres.

Leave a comment:

• almac
    replied
    Unfortunately neither a floating solar farm or one in space will be easy or cheap to build.
    it might be here already, some images of floating solar panels here..

Leave a comment:

• paulcheung
    replied

These solar panels force to consider a 17.5" wide pot belly stove burning coal right in front and only a couple feet away from a 125gallon gasoline tank right beneath the fiberglass. That configuration could blow me to kingdom come.

I give up
    Forget Alaska and coming to the Caribbean, You won't have to deal with cold, only heat that easily deal with a 50 watts fan.

Leave a comment:

• nhhockeyplayer
    replied
    I will add... hydro power and wind turbine look to be more attractive than the solar.

Leave a comment:

• nhhockeyplayer
    replied

I give up

Leave a comment:

Working...