LifePO4 GBS Amp Hour Testing 2.5v to 3.6v per cell

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunking
    commented on 's reply
    Yes an assumption shared by most of the stupid public. You do not have to be an expert to make a video, you just cannot post them anyplace you want, and like it or not are LIABLE for the content if needed to be used against you. Some idiot may copy you. I warned you are on shaky ground trying to defend unsafe practices and promoting them.

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by createthis

Yeah. I'm currently considering the Therm-App Hz. $1600, 384 x 288 resolution, interchangeable lenses. Seems like it would be a good choice for youtube videos since the refresh rate is high. Need to talk to some people to get a feel for how accurate it is first. I don't think I need incredible accuracy. I want to be able to communicate. I can always use a regular laser thermometer if I need accuracy. Requires an android phone, but I need a new phone anyway. Still using an old iPhone 4s.

Those FLIR E4s are (or were) hackable to be an E8 BTW. They all include 320x240 sensors, but they're software limited, much like Rigol's oscilloscopes. My research indicates the E4 - E8 range comes with a pretty crappy lens though. You learn pretty quickly in photography that it's all about the lens.
    Yep. One of the main things about thermography was being able to get a picture in focus. If it was blurry then there was no way you would get an accurate temperature reading. But then again it was the software that dug out the detail once the picture was taken.

Leave a comment:

• createthis
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle

Surprising the thermal cameras have come way down in cost to the ones I was trained on back in 2010. The one I used was made by FLIR and it cost about $8000. Now you can get one similar in accuracy (80 x 60 pixels) called an E4 for under $1000 and one that is good enough that attaches to your smart phone called a FLIR One for about $250.
    Yeah. I'm currently considering the Therm-App Hz. $1600, 384 x 288 resolution, interchangeable lenses. Seems like it would be a good choice for youtube videos since the refresh rate is high. Need to talk to some people to get a feel for how accurate it is first. I don't think I need incredible accuracy. I want to be able to communicate. I can always use a regular laser thermometer if I need accuracy. Requires an android phone, but I need a new phone anyway. Still using an old iPhone 4s.

Those FLIR E4s are (or were) hackable to be an E8 BTW. They all include 320x240 sensors, but they're software limited, much like Rigol's oscilloscopes. My research indicates the E4 - E8 range comes with a pretty crappy lens though. You learn pretty quickly in photography that it's all about the lens.
    Last edited by createthis; 09-29-2016, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Let me give you an idea how my brain works after a thread like this. Anytime I experience a lot of backlash, I attempt to learn from it.

When I released the 4/0 cable crimping video I immediately started trying to figure out how to perform a tensile test of the crimped 4/0 cable on camera. So far, I'm drawing a blank because I read the breaking strength of 4/0 cable is somewhere in the range of 8000 - 10000 lbs. I think I'll need to weld up my own rig using 10 - 20 ton hydraulic jacks to do the job. Not impossible, but not trivial either.

I'd *love* to do a video comparing the crimps made by a professional crimper and the cheap TMS crimper. Nothing would make me happier. However, I need a way to test the crimps first, and second I need to gain access to one of those professional crimpers.

Second, from this thread and the thermal concerns raised, I immediately started looking around for a thermal camera I could afford, beg, or borrow. I think it would be really awesome to see the thermal issues on camera. Then I can easily make a statement on camera like, "don't do this unless you want to burn your house down". Probably, I and everyone watching the video will learn a lot.

These videos are not self contained. They're a journey. I'm not trying to screw anyone. I'm here to learn.
    Surprising the thermal cameras have come way down in cost to the ones I was trained on back in 2010. The one I used was made by FLIR and it cost about $8000. Now you can get one similar in accuracy (80 x 60 pixels) called an E4 for under $1000 and one that is good enough that attaches to your smart phone called a FLIR One for about $250.

Leave a comment:

• createthis
    replied
    Let me give you an idea how my brain works after a thread like this. Anytime I experience a lot of backlash, I attempt to learn from it.

When I released the 4/0 cable crimping video I immediately started trying to figure out how to perform a tensile test of the crimped 4/0 cable on camera. So far, I'm drawing a blank because I read the breaking strength of 4/0 cable is somewhere in the range of 8000 - 10000 lbs. I think I'll need to weld up my own rig using 10 - 20 ton hydraulic jacks to do the job. Not impossible, but not trivial either.

I'd *love* to do a video comparing the crimps made by a professional crimper and the cheap TMS crimper. Nothing would make me happier. However, I need a way to test the crimps first, and second I need to gain access to one of those professional crimpers.

Second, from this thread and the thermal concerns raised, I immediately started looking around for a thermal camera I could afford, beg, or borrow. I think it would be really awesome to see the thermal issues on camera. Then I can easily make a statement on camera like, "don't do this unless you want to burn your house down". Probably, I and everyone watching the video will learn a lot.

These videos are not self contained. They're a journey. I'm not trying to screw anyone. I'm here to learn.

Leave a comment:

• createthis
    replied

Look. We are just trying to help you and others not do something that could get someone hurt. Putting up a warning is easy and may head off a disaster before it happens.

I appreciate that. I respect it. What I don't appreciate is the way you're all going about it. Threatening and making assumptions is counter productive. You all could have taken an entirely different tone with the conversation by asking questions and pointing out risks and recommending ways to mitigate those risks.

Stop making statements and assumptions. Start asking questions.

If you really think I'm not listening you're crazy. All I've done since I've joined this forum is listen, ask questions, and attempt to understand. Once I feel like I've reached an understanding, I try to make a video. I'm not going to stop doing that, but I'll definitely stop posting them here since they aren't received in the spirit I make them.
    Last edited by createthis; 09-29-2016, 12:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied

Did you see a disclaimer not to try this at home on the recent iphone 7 headphone jack drilling video? I think those disclaimers are for network television, not youtube. The default assumption is different on youtube, I think.

That said, I'm considering it because of the response in this thread.
    Look. We are just trying to help you and others not do something that could get someone hurt. Putting up a warning is easy and may head off a disaster before it happens.

Leave a comment:

• createthis
    replied

How making a major disclaimer up front about not doing this at home due to the potential of risk of life and limb. You have to take some responsibility when you show a video to the world that can result in someone with little knowledge getting hurt.

How many idiots smoke while pumping their own gas into their vehicle. Unfortunately still some.
    Did you see a disclaimer not to try this at home on the recent iphone 7 headphone jack drilling video? I think those disclaimers are for network television, not youtube. The default assumption is different on youtube, I think.

That said, I'm considering it because of the response in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied

That's an assumption on your part. I don't think I have to be an expert to make videos. I'm muddling through things and sharing as I go. As I share I learn from the feedback. It's a control loop.
    How making a major disclaimer up front about not doing this at home due to the potential of risk of life and limb. You have to take some responsibility when you show a video to the world that can result in someone with little knowledge getting hurt.

How many idiots smoke while pumping their own gas into their vehicle. Unfortunately still some.

Leave a comment:

• createthis
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking
    You are making videos and acting like an expert for people to follow your lead. I really do not care what you do, or if you destroy something.

That's an assumption on your part. I don't think I have to be an expert to make videos. I'm muddling through things and sharing as I go. As I share I learn from the feedback. It's a control loop.

Leave a comment:

• createthis
    replied
    Originally posted by PNjunction
    I haven't seen the schematic for your project, but just a tip - hope there is a "CLASS T" fuse somewhere inline within a foot or so of the battery terminals as your first line of defense to protect the wiring.

Like all batteries, and especially the LFP's, it has the potential to arc-weld a permanent short, say inside your inverter making the inverter's overload breaker a moot point. Use a class-t not only to protect the wiring, but the class-t under a catastrophe tends to fail gracefully, rather than explosively like a stereo-fuse under these conditions. Kind of like a Fluke, but I digress ...

And, as a last resort with such a large battery, I'd keep some insulated cable-cutters around the garage.
    There's a Blue Sea Systems thermal breaker on top. Lots of them, actually. I decided to use those instead of the large Class-T fuse I originally bought. Is that a problem?

Leave a comment:

• createthis
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike90250
    And often, it's the inverter that catches fire, because of poor practice in it's construction.
    Wrong fuses, batteries, bad crimps and idiots who have been warned repeatedly, cause fires.

But the real crime is that you are posting "How to burn your house down" videos on youtube where any fool is considered an expert.
    In the future DO NOT LINK to any more of your homemade battery bomb videos, or you will be banned from this board.
    I'm not sure where the line is between one of my videos getting stickied for being useful and one of my videos being a battery bomb. I don't think I have enough information to comply with that statement, so I'll just stop posting videos here. Sorry for the trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    And often, it's the inverter that catches fire, because of poor practice in it's construction.
    Wrong fuses, batteries, bad crimps and idiots who have been warned repeatedly, cause fires.

But the real crime is that you are posting "How to burn your house down" videos on youtube where any fool is considered an expert.
    In the future DO NOT LINK to any more of your homemade battery bomb videos, or you will be banned from this board.

Leave a comment:

• PNjunction
    replied
    I haven't seen the schematic for your project, but just a tip - hope there is a "CLASS T" fuse somewhere inline within a foot or so of the battery terminals as your first line of defense to protect the wiring.

Like all batteries, and especially the LFP's, it has the potential to arc-weld a permanent short, say inside your inverter making the inverter's overload breaker a moot point. Use a class-t not only to protect the wiring, but the class-t under a catastrophe tends to fail gracefully, rather than explosively like a stereo-fuse under these conditions. Kind of like a Fluke, but I digress ...

And, as a last resort with such a large battery, I'd keep some insulated cable-cutters around the garage.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Yup. Totally understood. I'm really not trying to get long run times out of this setup under full load. No matter how many times I say "toy system" that doesn't seem to sink in. I don't really use this system for anything other than learning and making videos. It has no other purpose.
    You are making videos and acting like an expert for people to follow your lead. I really do not care what you do, or if you destroy something.

Leave a comment:

Working...