X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Laspher

Sounds like Sunking advice.
    Or the OP can keep them poorly crimped wires and light up a cigarette around a gas can. Stupid is as stupid does.

Leave a comment:

• Laspher
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike90250
    Toss all those cables. They look like they were crimped with a hammer & nail, and are a fire waiting to happen.
    I've never seen a crimp like that before on a high amp battery cable, and I would never trust them.
    -edit-
    Sorry, that sounds really harsh, but I believe it to be truth, AFIK, good cable crimps are 6 sided and are about 3/4 of the entire socket
    Sounds like Sunking advice.

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    1. To keep the two string resistances roughly equal, the resistance of the U-shaped black cable at the negative end should match the resistance (including contact resistances) of the U-shaped red cable at the positive end.
    You cannot use your salvaged bad cable anywhere in the diagram and not have it unbalance the two strings.
    Trying the find the "best" place for a bad cable is foolish.

2. I concur with Mike's advice to replace all of your cables or have new connectors properly crimped onto them if there is enough wire length.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Toss all those cables. They look like they were crimped with a hammer & nail, and are a fire waiting to happen.
    I've never seen a crimp like that before on a high amp battery cable, and I would never trust them.
    -edit-
    Sorry, that sounds really harsh, but I believe it to be truth, AFIK, good cable crimps are 6 sided and are about 3/4 of the entire socket
    Last edited by Mike90250; 05-19-2017, 01:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Where to Locate one odd cable in dual parallel bank

Thanks in advance to on topic, thoughtful replies!

I have a 48V AGM battery bank comprised of 8, 12V "Energy Power" (Vision brand) EV8D batts. The batts are wired as dual parallel strings of 4. During installation, one of the 4/0 battery cable terminal ends got damaged from an arc. I'm trying to figure out if there is a "best location" to put this particular cable in the bank. It made sense to me that it might be best to install this cable as one of the string interconnecting cables, rather than as a string "intra"connecting cable, to keep the resistance of each strings relatively the same.
    Thoughts?
    battery layout.pngdamaged cable.jpg
Working...