tabbing wire
[QUOTE=Mike90250;1858]silver solder, IMHO, is WAY too HOT for PV cells. The heat helps dissolve the metallic plating on the cell, and it's a lot of thermal stress. Old fashioned 63/37 or 60/40 is almost too hot. I prefer to use the low temp solders, less stress on the cell you are soldering to.
63/37 361.4
Try our solar cost and savings calculator
Tips on Soldering tips?
Collapse
X
-
Hi Russ and thank you. I will indeed wait for someone to explain it to me.Leave a comment:
-
Hi Minsk - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!
Someone who has the correct answer should be along before long.
I expect they are simply referring to a tip for a soldering iron that is 45Leave a comment:
-
45
Please excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know, or (more importantly), can anyone explain to me in simple terms what this phrase means?
What I'm particularly interested in is this word "solar".
I'm a translator and not a specialist in this area, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.Leave a comment:
-
You are right, never use a file. But I have not found a suitable solder tip for the solar panels, so I had no choise. The solder tip can hold long when only used for soldering the solar cells.Leave a comment:
-
Minimizing Micro-cracks in Solar Cell Interconnection during Manual Soldering
An article at Renewable Energy World
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/...ring?cmpid=rss
RussLeave a comment:
-
Don't use a file!
Solder tips are iron clad, hence the dull crystalline appearance. Filing exposes bare copper. Flux will eat it in no time. I've done it. Using a wet sponge is great advise.
Solder fumes haven't killed me either. I started building Heathkits in the late '50s.Leave a comment:
-
[QUOTE=avandalen;16235]....Note that cheap rejected solar cells *** have sometimes a poor metallization which doesnLeave a comment:
-
Soldering goes much better with a soldering tip which has a flat surface. So edit an old soldering tip with a file to create one. I use 60/40 tin-lead flux-core solder which melts at 370Leave a comment:
-
I use pre-rolled product from indium corp. simple you only need to heat up the PN connectors and that is it. P= positive N=negative connectors. I can wire 80 (5 watt solar cells) in less than 20 minutes.Leave a comment:
-
"Solder has lead and the gasses are poison to breath use a fan or well vented area. "
Well, all I can say is I've been soldering regularly since the 1960's. I owned and operated a tv/vcr repair shop and soldered practically all day, every day for years. I use regular 60/40 electronic solder and have not used a hood or any "safety" equipment and I'm still here and not sick (maybe crazy but that doesn't count). I think soldering is just dangerous on paper. I doubt you are going to hurt yourself soldering a few nights putting panels together, but then I'm not a doctor, so take it for what it's worth.
So far as eating tips up. Yes, too much heat will cause the tip to oxidize. Variable temp irons are a must if you are going to do much soldering. The tip temerature should be just a bit hotter than it takes to melt your solder. PV panels have pads that are eager to be soldered. It doesn't take much heat to get the job done.
It is important to keep the tip tinnned (coated with solder) and clean. A moist sponge is good for cleaning the tip occasionally as you solder. Just wipe the tip across the sponge.
DON'T use solder sold for plumbing. It has an acid flux and will eat up a tip in no time, plus the acid will corrode your connections over time.Leave a comment:
-
Frank, here is your answer. Look up Indium corp. on the net. They have your solution. Remember the solder used on electronic equipment may melt solder but electronic products use low volts (5 most of the time) plus micro amps and is not designed to be used for solar cell connections. You will burn up the tips. Also please consider safety again. Solder has lead and the gasses are poison to breath use a fan or well vented area.Leave a comment:
-
silver solder, IMHO, is WAY too HOT for PV cells. The heat helps dissolve the metallic plating on the cell, and it's a lot of thermal stress. Old fashioned 63/37 or 60/40 is almost too hot. I prefer to use the low temp solders, less stress on the cell you are soldering to.
63/37 361.4Leave a comment:
-
I guess I should have spent the few extra bucks on a variable temp iron. I'm using the thin 21gauge Silver solder. Lead free. Those tips are getting BBQ'd for sure.
Thanks.Leave a comment:
-
What are you using for solder:Hi, I'm attempting to solder a bunch of cells together and I was wondering what others have had success using.
I seem to be burning through solder tips like crazy. Or maybe that's normal?
I started with a Weller 25watt iron and after 6 tips I picked up a cheap 45watt iron. Going through those tips just as fast. The new iron has inexpensive tips however I find it almost too hot for the cells...
Thanks,
Frank
regular 60/40 electronic solder, Low Temp solder, or Lead free solder ?
Those all require different tip temps. You need a thermally controlled iron, the ones with just a cord on the end, will get red hot, BBQ both the tip, and the PV cell.Leave a comment:
Copyright © 2014 SolarReviews All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 6.1.3
Copyright © 2026 MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2026 MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT-5. This page was generated at 03:02 PM.
Leave a comment: