X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hifahad
    • Apr 2009

How much Solar Power Do I Need?

Hello Folks.

I am from Pakistan, as many of you might know; Pakistan is a third world Country and these days facing a lot of load-shading (No Electrcity) problem. In some areas there is no electricity for more then 12 hrs a day.

My questions is:
    How much or how many solar panels i would need to produce electricity which can power up and run about 10 - 220 watts Fans + about 10 fluorescent lights or bulbs?

OR

How much or how many solar panels will i need to produce at least 2000 watts electricity?

I am really thinking about installing solar panels there.

Also i have seen many website which says MAKE YOUR OWN SOLAR PANELS to produce energy, i wanna know if the information they are selling is Leggett.

I am also thinking about it as a business point of view, if its not too costly then i can import them from China and resale it In countries who has electricity problem.

I will really appreciate a detail help.

Thanks
  • Jason
    Administrator
    • Dec 2008

Hello hifahad and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. It sounds like you are in a perfect spot to take advantage of solar panels

To get about 2000 watts of electricity, you'll need about 400watts of solar panels.

A good average price of solar panels is $5 a watt. So you are looking at roughly $2000 for a system to supplement your needs.

I would stay away from the "Make your own solar panels" book that you see all over the internet. I haven't personally bought it, but I've heard lots of negative reviews about it. You can find plenty of information about that for free here or other places on the web.

I'm not familiar with the laws or practices in Pakistan as far as selling solar panels as a business, so I can't give out much advice about that. However, it sounds like a wonderful idea. Maybe you could learn to install them and help people out that away as well.

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have and good luck!

Comment

• MarineLiner
      Solar Skipper
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Jasun
      To get about 2000 watts of electricity, you'll need about 400watts of solar panels.

$5 a watt. ... $2000 for a system ...

... selling solar panels as a business, ... it sounds like a wonderful idea.

... and good luck!
      Perhaps our friend has been already too busy with installing and the selling. Hope so.

Well, is the $2000 including coverter, battery,wiring? $1 is 11,000 Rp. - Rupiah, Indonesia.

The "wonderful idea" is not only belong to me. While also supporting for the better planet.

Comment

• Jason
        Administrator
        • Dec 2008

i stand corrected. i didn't calculate the costs for the inverter, wiring, etc. I only estimated an approximate cost of the panels. thanks for pointing that out for me

Comment

• MarineLiner
          Solar Skipper
          • May 2009

i didn't calculate the costs for the inverter, wiring, etc. I only estimated an approximate cost of the panels. thanks for pointing that out for me.
          so, if we could have just a "roughly" reference:
          in America,
          the solar panels itself go for about probably $4-5 per watt, .. . . . .. that $13.75 a watt price includes the solar panels, labor, and other equipment, etc. its all tied into that price.
          hopefully it helps.

Comment

• D_Robbins
            • Dec 2008

I would think the total cost of a small installation like this one would be less then the $13.75 per watt. I'm thinking more in the range of $8-9 per watt.

Comment

• MarineLiner
              Solar Skipper
              • May 2009

Originally posted by D_Robbins
              ... the total cost of a small installation ... in the range of $8-9 per watt.

Comment

• Flynn76
                • Dec 2008

yeah, the price in America is roughly $8 or so.

Comment

• MarineLiner
                  Solar Skipper
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Flynn76
                  yeah, the price in America is roughly $8 or so.

Comment

Working...