X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Psi
    • Sep 2009

Battery system help with set up

Hi all,

I put this in the wrong forum section yesterday so copied and pasted it.

Im looking at starting small and building up, i cant afford alot of panels atm due to the high cost of them in the uk so looking at the other equipment first then build up the panels

* Kyocera Solar Panels 2 x 185w 24 v panels or 2 x 135w 12v panels (due to cost)
    * STUDER AJ INVERTERS AJ600-24V 600w
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

What is the desired load / work to be done? provide a link to the mfg's spec sheet for the inverter & controller, and if will you have local support if it needs repair/replace.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Psi
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mike90250
      What is the desired load / work to be done? provide a link to the mfg's spec sheet for the inverter & controller, and if will you have local support if it needs repair/replace.

im looking at it powering my small pond, lighting for outside which would not be used very often. Also looking at small items in house depending on power consumption mainly lights, TV, dvd if it can, not all at once of course.

I would like to have a bigger battery bank storage to hold more as there would be some days i would not use anything.

i would like to do a grid tie but even a small 1.2kw system is in the region of

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Ok, first glance, the pure sine inverters look nice, and these are very efficient. Mostly, the inverters are at their highest efficiency at 70-90% of max power, if you use a 500W inverter to power a 23 w bulb, you are likely burning another 20W just keeping the inverter alive, so make sure your inverter size is well matched to your expected loads.

The charger is a PWM charger, so you need 12V (18V actually, 18VPmax spec) for your panels, because you won't get any MPPT gains from higher voltage, just loosing power.
        (or double if you are using a 24v battery system)

AGM type of sealed batteries are the only suitable version (of sealed batteries, avoid gel or cylindrical paste cells [Optima]) for renewable, deep cycle use. AGM are about 95% efficient while recharging, but you WILL need a temperature sensor to avoid overcharge, and venting damage to the batteries. Be sure you never "equalize" the AGM battery, unless the mfg specifically says to do so.

But without knowing your loads, it's impossible to tell if this is the right combo of things for you.
        2, 12v - 100Ah batteries, store about 1200Wh of power, about half of which you can use. so you have 600Wh of power, to spend on 20 minutes of cooking, or 12 hours of a 50W light
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Psi
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Ok, first glance, the pure sine inverters look nice, and these are very efficient. Mostly, the inverters are at their highest efficiency at 70-90% of max power, if you use a 500W inverter to power a 23 w bulb, you are likely burning another 20W just keeping the inverter alive, so make sure your inverter size is well matched to your expected loads.

The charger is a PWM charger, so you need 12V (18V actually, 18VPmax spec) for your panels, because you won't get any MPPT gains from higher voltage, just loosing power.
          (or double if you are using a 24v battery system)

AGM type of sealed batteries are the only suitable version (of sealed batteries, avoid gel or cylindrical paste cells [Optima]) for renewable, deep cycle use. AGM are about 95% efficient while recharging, but you WILL need a temperature sensor to avoid overcharge, and venting damage to the batteries. Be sure you never "equalize" the AGM battery, unless the mfg specifically says to do so.

But without knowing your loads, it's impossible to tell if this is the right combo of things for you.
          2, 12v - 100Ah batteries, store about 1200Wh of power, about half of which you can use. so you have 600Wh of power, to spend on 20 minutes of cooking, or 12 hours of a 50W light

Hi mike,

im looking at using it for to power

Pond Pump x1 (24 hours) power is around 35w
          lighting for outside prob around 4 x 11 w bulbs (not on very often)
          lighting for my house again on avg 4 x 11 w bulbs (avg 4 hours a day)
          depending on power to use my TV on it (40" lcd TV)

the more power i can use the more items i would connect to it, sound system, sky box etc

im alittle bit lost in regards to the charger, ive linked the site that has them could you reccommend one for me to look at so i can see what you mean

Slot188 Mempunyai permainan yang updete dan gacor ditambah dengan bonus-bonus yang kami berikan untuk menambah kemenangan yang berlimpah kepada setiap member

Battery bank

in regards to my battery bank should i run it on a single battery at 12v or link them so its 24v ?

thanks for the advice

William

Comment

• MarineLiner
            Solar Skipper
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Psi
            ..... to power

Pond Pump x1 (24 hours) power is around 35w

lighting for outside prob around 4 x 11 w bulbs (not on very often)
            lighting for my house again on avg 4 x 11 w bulbs (avg 4 hours a day)
            depending on power to use my TV on it (40" lcd TV)

Comment

Working...