X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenguy
    • Apr 2009

Solar Panel Help, Trying to go green..

Hello everyone, new guy here. Looking at my electricity bill I used 694 killowatts of power last month. Could anyone help me how to figure out how many solar panels i would need? What im looking for is to somehow hook up my central air to solar panels.

-Jeff
  • LacyPowers
    • Dec 2008

My solar panel system cost $25K (less than my pool or hardwood floors), I got a $10K rebate from my utility and a $2K federal tax credit. The fed. tax credit has increased this year to 30% of the total installed price. I should break even in 6-7 years and save well over $50K over the life of the panels.

Comment

• Cal_State78
      • Feb 2009

I don't see the benefit to hooking up a system to specific appliances for a couple reasons. Your air conditioner doesn't run non-stop, so the power you produce when the system cycles off is lost. You only produce electricity when the sun is shining on the panels. If you have a cloudy day or it is hot after the sun goes down, you will need to still use household energy.

Comment

• MarineLiner
        Solar Skipper
        • May 2009

Originally posted by greenguy
        ... in Tucson,AZ ... to make use of this 300+ days of sunshine a year. ...
        Originally posted by greenguy
        ... used 694 killowatts of power last month. ... how many solar panels i would need? ... central air to solar panels.
        694kWH/month = 23kWH/day = 1kWH/hour = 1000w/hour.

8 panels of 130w can give 1040w/hour but only in good sunlight hours about 5 - 7 hours/day. For the rest 17 - 19 hours need another 24 - 32 panels to cover the whole usage (100%). But we can begin partialy.

Comment

Working...