Grounding solar panels on a RV or trailer.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 69GP
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
    That is the right question. Answer: fuse both polarities. If one side becomes grounded nothing happens. Ever work on 3 phase Delta non grounded systems? Know why they are not grounded systems.
    Hi Dereck,
    I have never work on a 3 phase delta non grounded system. I did do a quick google search an seen that there is voltage readings only between phases and not to ground.

Steve b

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by 69GP
      I have never work on a 3 phase delta non grounded system. I did do a quick google search an seen that there is voltage readings only between phases and not to ground.
      That is correct. 3-phase Delta is used where power outages cannot be tolerated or accepted. If one phase faults to ground absolutely nothing happens except an alarm sounds to alert maintenance personnel. Other than that the system keeps on working. Now if another phase faults to ground in addition to the other phase, then you have a operation to clear the fault.

A good example would be say a glass extrusion factory. If the power goes off the glass cools and hardens cause a lengthy shut do to remove solidified glass. Same with say a refinery or any other continuous process. Another good example is elevators and fire pumps in high rise buildings. Read up on the NEC and Fire Pump systems are required not to be grounded, it is too critical.

So now maybe you understand why I say grounded systems are unreliable and dangerous. It is contrary to everything you have been taught and thought you knew huh?
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...