• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hi

as you can see now i have posted some photos of how the gear looks like, there is two 9305 15kva ups and one 9120 6kva ups.

i hade only very limit time so i have only connected one 9305 with all the ac gear on the board, the 9305 has 24 batterys at 288v (12v * 24) and i can see the changing from the ups is at 330V so that is 13,75v per battery

i was not able to do so much testing as i was trying to get access into the web interface but it was not working so i have to make an serial cable and then do an reset of the web interface and then i can begin the testing next week.

The 24 batterys in one 9305 seems to be very good and many Ah in them when i test them with the dummy load but the other batterys from the other 9305 seems to be dead.

the batterys from the smaller ups are also very good.

hope to do more testing next weekend.

Thomas

Comment

Thomas those batteries will make great boat anchors. As I stated earlier those batteries are made specifically for UPS systems. They are a specialized AGM battery with extremely low internal resistance which is a good thing sort of. It means they are designed to be fully discharged in 10 to 15 minutes. Sounds great huh?

It is not a good thing in this case. To get that extremely low resistance the plates are extremely thin and sponge like, separated by a fiberglass mat. And there are a lot of very thin plates to make a single cell. That is great for high discharge and charge rates. The trade off is with very thin plates, there is very few charge/discharge cycles. Maybe 50 to 100 cycles. A UPS battery is designed for emergency power only, and very seldom if ever used.

True deep cycle batteries use very heavy thick solid plates which gives then thousands of charge/discharge cycles.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              Thomas those batteries will make great boat anchors. As I stated earlier those batteries are made specifically for UPS systems. They are a specialized AGM battery with extremely low internal resistance which is a good thing sort of. It means they are designed to be fully discharged in 10 to 15 minutes. Sounds great huh?

It is not a good thing in this case. To get that extremely low resistance the plates are extremely thin and sponge like, separated by a fiberglass mat. And there are a lot of very thin plates to make a single cell. That is great for high discharge and charge rates. The trade off is with very thin plates, there is very few charge/discharge cycles. Maybe 50 to 100 cycles. A UPS battery is designed for emergency power only, and very seldom if ever used.

True deep cycle batteries use very heavy thick solid plates which gives then thousands of charge/discharge cycles.
              Hi

okey i understand and this project seems to be more and more no go and the economy of the project is also bad if i to serial up 12-13 MPPT controler, panels and batterys.

but i think i will still do some testing with it and then learn some thing on the way.

Thanks for all the feedback in the thread.

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Tooms View Post
                Hi

okey i understand and this project seems to be more and more no go and the economy of the project is also bad if i to serial up 12-13 MPPT controler, panels and batterys.

but i think i will still do some testing with it and then learn some thing on the way.

Thanks for all the feedback in the thread.

Thomas
                You are quite welcome, and keep coming back. We do not want to discourage experimenting, but we want you to go into it with realistic expectations and the knowledge to realize what the problems will be. Especially not to spend money looking for an economic return rather than the pleasure of a hobby.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                  You are quite welcome, and keep coming back. We do not want to discourage experimenting, but we want you to go into it with realistic expectations and the knowledge to realize what the problems will be. Especially not to spend money looking for an economic return rather than the pleasure of a hobby.
                  yes i am beginning to see the more realistic side of this project and even this is alot of cool gear it will not be economic todo the project and it is better to just buy an finish complet solar setup.

but i am still going to pay with this and maybe use the "small" ups (6kva 1 phase) for an smaller project like power for the washmachine or some thing.

i am getting some cheap ebay mppt controllers to test some ideas that i have and is also in the process of building my own solar panels for testing and learning.

Thanks
                  Thomas

Comment

[QUOTE=Tooms;49771]The thing is that my parents house is two houses, one have the private house and the other one is business, the main fuse panel is in the business and then there going an long cabel over to the private house so it will be very easy to split them and then run the full privat house from this ups setup.

why do this ups thing...
                    In Denmark there is an limit on 6kw solar systems there grid-tie and my father is planing to have an 6kw solar grid-tie installed on the bussiness house, so in order to do more then it has to be off grid and here is where the ups is coming in because the ups+solar+battery setup will not feed any power back to the grid.

The other resaon is that i just like to try an use all this free gear that i now got and i think it will be an shame if it is not used in any way.[/QUOTE

The only thing I can think is that, open it and change connections on the internal batteries and make a 24v or 48v system that way you can use a regular charger.
                    Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockwood View Post
                      Originally posted by Tooms View Post
                      The thing is that my parents house is two houses, one have the private house and the other one is business, the main fuse panel is in the business and then there going an long cabel over to the private house so it will be very easy to split them and then run the full privat house from this ups setup.

why do this ups thing...
                      In Denmark there is an limit on 6kw solar systems there grid-tie and my father is planing to have an 6kw solar grid-tie installed on the bussiness house, so in order to do more then it has to be off grid and here is where the ups is coming in because the ups+solar+battery setup will not feed any power back to the grid.

The other resaon is that i just like to try an use all this free gear that i now got and i think it will be an shame if it is not used in any way.
                      The only thing I can think is that, open it and change connections on the internal batteries and make a 24v or 48v system that way you can use a regular charger.
                      Just my two cents.
                      Hi

What do you mean by changing the connections ?? it will not by easy to change an Inverter there is design to use 288V to just use 48V

Tooms

Comment

Working...
                      X