Enter Zipcode

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Greetings from Taiwan

I have figured out that I only need a system that will give me 2000 watts which is more than I need. I have now learned the brownouts last from 5am to 9 pm so there is a need to run batteries longer than I planned. As this brownout issue has been around for the last 9 years and now is getting worse. I don't see things changing anytime soon.
    I looked at gas generators but the fuel is high. So I think they are out of the question.

So I need to make this affordable As I have to have two systems. One for the house and one for the quail barn. I can go as low a 1500 watt system. But there will only be a couple hundred watts left over. Kind of worried if I get to close but it can work as well. But if it gets cloudy I think I would be in trouble.

Solar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Pugo View Post
    I have figured out that I only need a system that will give me 2000 watts which is more than I need.
    OK Pugo now that the information is coming out I can help you and save you a lot of money.

To start 2000 watts is a meaningless number. All that means is an instantaneous measurement of power in a moment of time, it is not energy which is watt hours, not watts.

So let's get this straightened up before you go any further. You say you only need power from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm. OK that gives us 4 hours, call it 5 to be safe. Now answer this what will have to be powered up during that time, and how many watts does it consume. For example a constant load of 500 watts. 500 watts x 5 hours = 2500 watt hours. You have to get that number of forget the project, no one can help you without it.

Once we know that number I can tell you whatever it is will not be a solar application. You have no need for it, cost way too much, and unreliable. You are in biz and solar is the last thing you want. You want cost effective and reliable power you can count on.

What I suggest is what any pro would do in your example. Build a UPS by using a AC powered battery charger/rectifier, batteries, a quality inverter, and backup generator. It will save you several thousand dollars and work a whole lot better. But to get the sizes we need two pieces of information.

Maximum demand load in watts, and total watt hours in a 24 hour period.

Maximum demand load is all the connected load devices that will be turned on at one time. Say the incubator @ 800 watts and a 100 watt light = 900 watts. Time each item will be turned on during the brown outs.
    MSEE, PE