Thread: Industry Certifications

Hybrid View

Default Industry Certifications

I was hoping we could get a list going of Industry Certifications.

The biggest, of course, is NABCEP.
    Underwriters Laboratories (UL) has a Certified PV System Installer.

Those are the only two independent certifications that I know of (though I thought there was a third). Then there are two other categories of training: manufacturer and technical schools/colleges. I don't really want to get into the latter. Most manufacturers provide some sort of webinar or basic training to some extent, but the companies that I know of having more extensive training/certification programs are Sunpower University and SMA Solar Academy. Also, Multi-Contact has a simple, free online certification for connector assembly (i.e. MC-4). What else is out there?

Solar Fanatic

You do not need any of those certifications to do the work. You cannot pull a permit and pass inspection. The equipment needs to be UL. To do contract work you have to be trained and licensed for electrical. NABCEP does not qualify you do do any electrical work.
    MSEE, PE

I'm not exactly sure how to reply to that, except that it seems entirely off topic.

Solar Fanatic

Andrew how is it off-topic? Vendor training of NABCEP does not qualify you to do any work.

To be a contractor with an electrical license starts with a 2-year technical school, followed by a 2 to 5 year apprenticeship program. Once you have the required degree and number of billable hours you then qualify to take the electrical exam. Once yu pass the exam you can then pull the permits, do the work, and pass electrical inspections. A NABCEP or Vendor training does not qualify you to do any of that.

I am not trying to be nasty, but that is a fact and the law. If you were to go to an Electrical Contractor to find a job and only had either or both NABCEP or Vendor Certification, you would be turned down because you do not have the skills or license to do any work.

Same in my profession a engineering student right out of college is not qualified to stamp any drawings or designs. In fact they do not have much of any practical applicable skills. It takes another 5 years of training under direct supervision of a PE before they can take the test to be a licensed Professional Engineer.
    MSEE, PE

I'm not asking about law. I'm not asking about how to start a business. I'm trying to gather a list of solar industry certifications. I understand you think they are completely worthless or something like that. Ok, good. You have presented your point of view. Either we can continue with the original topic, or the topic isn't appropriate for a solar forum.

Also, the way you describe how to become a licensed contractor is extremely inaccurate (for me) as it varies significantly from state to state. But like I said, that conversation is off topic.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
    I'm not asking about law. I'm not asking about how to start a business. I'm trying to gather a list of solar industry certifications. I understand you think they are completely worthless or something like that. Ok, good. You have presented your point of view. Either we can continue with the original topic, or the topic isn't appropriate for a solar forum.

Also, the way you describe how to become a licensed contractor is extremely inaccurate (for me) as it varies significantly from state to state. But like I said, that conversation is off topic.
    To become a licensed electrician in PA for example in most parts of the state means paying the fee.

Solar Fanatic

I understand you think they are completely worthless or something like that.
    I never said it was worthless, I said it does not qualify you to do contract work.

Also, the way you describe how to become a licensed contractor is extremely inaccurate (for me) as it varies significantly from state to state.
    That is true, state requirements do vary, but most require an apprenticeship program and proof of bailable hours.
    MSEE, PE