Enter Zipcode

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inverter shutdown due to overvoltage from panels in cold temperatures

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by KeithOT View Post
    Hi John
    The spec for the inverter clearly states that the maximum input is 4200W which is 200W more than my panels maximum output. It is rare that panels actually produce their specified output 85% is considered the norm, conditions have to be exactly as the test spec to come anywhere near the 100% figure. That said it would be interesting to see what the actual output is in bright sun with an ambient temperature of 5 deg Celsius or less the voltage is high, current? maximum wattage? can it exceed the rated output in these conditions. The Inverter spec shows that the output to grid falls to zero at 580V DC input.
    Actually I'm surprised you haven't fried your inverter from over voltage. As far as design goes how are the modules configured string wise. what modules and inverter do you have maybe we can come up with a solution. or simply add a Tigo system which will do the same thing and allow for individual monitoring of modules.
    Rich
    WWW.solarsaves.net

NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

www.gaisma.com

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
    Actually I'm surprised you haven't fried your inverter from over voltage. As far as design goes how are the modules configured string wise. what modules and inverter do you have maybe we can come up with a solution. or simply add a Tigo system which will do the same thing and allow for individual monitoring of modules.
    Well............
    The installation company have just visited & modified the arrangement they seem a bit coy over what they have done they have split the strings & now I have 2 additional cables & a second DC isolator but the were unable to reconfigure the Inverter as the display has blanked so now I get a new inverter tomorrow.... At the moment I am just running on 1 string until the changeover not a problem as the weather is dull & cloudy.
    The original arrangement was 2 strings of 8 x 250W Sunrise SolarTech (Chinese) monocrystalline panels mounted on a south facing 45 deg roof, inverter is a power one Aurora PVI-3600-UK loft mounted. I have a remote monitor that works from a pulse sensor mounted on my generation meter it is a Solo PV Display manufactured by GEO (Green Energy Options Ltd) it displays the power generating in real time & the total for the day it stores the info on an SD memory card which you can download to their program installed on my PC. A neat unit supplied by my installer as part of the package. This problem is costing them some cash as they had to erect scaffolding to access the roof.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by KeithOT View Post
    Well............
    The installation company have just visited & modified the arrangement they seem a bit coy over what they have done they have split the strings & now I have 2 additional cables & a second DC isolator but the were unable to reconfigure the Inverter as the display has blanked so now I get a new inverter tomorrow.... At the moment I am just running on 1 string until the changeover not a problem as the weather is dull & cloudy.
    The original arrangement was 2 strings of 8 x 250W Sunrise SolarTech (Chinese) monocrystalline panels mounted on a south facing 45 deg roof, inverter is a power one Aurora PVI-3600-UK loft mounted. I have a remote monitor that works from a pulse sensor mounted on my generation meter it is a Solo PV Display manufactured by GEO (Green Energy Options Ltd) it displays the power generating in real time & the total for the day it stores the info on an SD memory card which you can download to their program installed on my PC. A neat unit supplied by my installer as part of the package. This problem is costing them some cash as they had to erect scaffolding to access the roof.
    I just looked up your modules and the only way to get that kind of voltage is to have one string of 16
    Rich
    WWW.solarsaves.net

NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

www.gaisma.com

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
    I just looked up your modules and the only way to get that kind of voltage is to have one string of 16
    Very strange they were definitely wired in 2 strings of 8 I do wonder if the inverter had a fault the display has never worked properly. by the same token the installers have had a similar problem with one or two other installations. So I remain puzzled but as the installation is only 2 months old it is up to my installers to fix it.

Solar Fanatic

You need the software disk and a laptop to configure the Aurora at startup to accept the 2 strings and configure the display.
    I had a PVI 3000 us installed alongside an SMA SB3800 and the daily output was significantly lower than the SMA, so I had my installer swap it out as it was not the inverter that they had specified in my contract. Both strings produced the same out put per day following the swapout.

Default New Inverter

Well they came today & installed a new inverter, another Aurora but this time it is a PVI-3.6-OUTD-GB same spec as original but an outdoor model. Weather is very dull wet & 10 Deg Celsius so output is minimal 0.02kW at the moment 2.30PM. Probably won't get any more cold bright sunny days now to test the set up.