Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snic
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
    What most people either don't know or fail to understand is that the power in Germany (while a lot of it is from renewable sources) is not generated 24/7. Renewable generation does not work 24/7 period. No one in the world is getting their power 100% from renewable sources.

When they can't generate from renewable sources, Germany use to get their power from their Nuclear plants. As they continue to shut those down they have started to purchase more power from outside the country. They are painting themselves into a corner where they will become dependent on someone else generating facilities.

It is a matter of physics. Either generate from fossil or Nuclear fuel to support you when the renewable sources are down or turn off all of you electrical needs and light the candles.
    It could be that Germany's politics is moving faster than its technology: their stated goal is to get 80% of their power from renewable sources by 2050, but technology might not be up to that time frame.

On the other hand, in the United States, politics has been slow to keep up with technology. We can definitely do better with the technology we have.

Germany might not achieve its goal, but renewable energy incentives there might also lead to more rapid development of technology that gets them far closer to their goal than we will get by not setting ambitious goals.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by snic
      I believe that would be a tremendous waste of time.
      Believe what you want - green fools are masters at self deception.

Best regards and don't let the door knob hit you in the butt on the way out.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• patienceweilan
        • May 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
        Yes, in California. The only consession at the time was the added PV gear did not add to the property tax.
        Really? No addition on property tax?..

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by patienceweilan
          Really? No addition on property tax?..
          Nope .

Comment

• katiejaneeex
            • May 2014

Increasing house price

Is it defiantly worth having solar installed on my house? i really like the idea of it increasing the price of my property

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by katiejaneeex
              Is it defiantly worth having solar installed on my house? i really like the idea of it increasing the price of my property
              It may or it may not. You say you have read a lot about solar - did you remember any of it?
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• pleppik
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2014

Your mileage is really going to vary on this. In some places, with some buyers, you will get some of the cost of the solar installation back in the sale price of the property. In other places, people won't care.

This is also something that's likely to change over time, as the general perceptions of solar power change.

You would think that, from a purely economic perspective, buyers would be willing to pay more for a house with lower utility bills. In practice, real estate is rarely so rational.
                16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by pleppik
                  In practice, real estate is rarely so rational.
                  Isn't that the truth though - Only one thing is sure in real estate it seems to me - do the opposite of what I do and you are a guaranteed winner. Earlier years I made a lot of money at it but the past 10 years - no.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

See prior threads on this forum. lots of discussion. Opinions vary. Think long term. What will an array on your property look like in 10 yrs. compared to what may likely be available then ? Advantages vs. drawbacks. Think like someone likely to buy your house and assume they don't think like you, because they probably don't.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2011

I look at a solar system the same way as I do the water heater.

A 1 year old water heater would add to the value of the house as buyers wouldn't have to replace it for a few years. A 20 year old water heater is a liability as a prospective buyer would be deducting the cost to replace from the value of the house.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf
                        I look at a solar system the same way as I do the water heater.

A 1 year old water heater would add to the value of the house as buyers wouldn't have to replace it for a few years. A 20 year old water heater is a liability as a prospective buyer would be deducting the cost to replace from the value of the house.

WWW: FWIW, 2d that.

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                          WWW: FWIW, 2d that.
                          3rd that!

With any luck the leasing company decides 20 year old panels aren't worth the trouble and dumps them on you? Is that good or bad?
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by russ
                            3rd that!

With any luck the leasing company decides 20 year old panels aren't worth the trouble and dumps them on you? Is that good or bad?
                            Depends. If working could be worse. If performance is deteriorated, maybe new, whatever technology is the darling at the time would be more cost effective. If roof hasn't leaked in 20 yrs., maybe time to reroof /w new solar. Yada, Yada, etc.

Comment

• TxSolarPro
                              • Jun 2014

Hi everyone, here in Texas we are seeing significant appreciation in home values after solar installations and it is also not a taxable increase in value according to state law. Texas is working hard to help solar continue its advancement. I would also have to disagree with the comment comparing the panels to a water heater...if you let that kind of rationale affect your installation plans now you will have missed out on Tens of thousands of dollars in savings by the time you sell your house. Even if a prospective buyer is not crazy about the look of the system it's still saving them money and it's made you plenty of money over the previous decade as well. With our current rebates solar is pretty much a no-brainier for many people here.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by TxSolarPro
                                Hi everyone, here in Texas we are seeing significant appreciation in home values after solar installations and it is also not a taxable increase in value according to state law. Texas is working hard to help solar continue its advancement. I would also have to disagree with the comment comparing the panels to a water heater...if you let that kind of rationale affect your installation plans now you will have missed out on Tens of thousands of dollars in savings by the time you sell your house. Even if a prospective buyer is not crazy about the look of the system it's still saving them money and it's made you plenty of money over the previous decade as well. With our current rebates solar is pretty much a no-brainier for many people here.
                                Near Austin? With the utility prices you provided in another post going solar is never going to pay off without being in a area subsidizing you.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...