Utility Co. called me, I'm not using enough power?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkruper
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2015

Originally posted by merc4
    http://www.energymanagertoday.com/th...solar-0117313/ You will note that AEP is one of the groups mentioned. But in the "demonizing" reference, I was talking mainly of the areas where they're already charging a monthly fee to be connected to the grid. A $50 per month grid fee, after spending thousands for a system, is a slap in the face. No, that is not in Ohio..... yet!
    It's their grid. Will you let your neighbor connect to your solar system for no charge?

Comment

• merc4
      • Apr 2014

screw the planet, let's worry about POCO profits! I assume those worried about AEP heat their homes with coal?

Comment

• lkruper
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2015

screw the planet, let's worry about POCO profits! I assume those worried about AEP heat their homes with coal?
        I am your next door neighbor. I want access to your solar system. You need to add a meter at your expense and pay me for the power I generate. Deal?

Comment

• merc4
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by lkruper
          I am your next door neighbor. I want access to your solar system. You need to add a meter at your expense and pay me for the power I generate. Deal?
          no, install your own system, then I'll be over to collect my share at your expense.

Comment

• Living Large
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

Without profits, companies don't exist. Would you prefer no power on your street? I can tell you what that is like, because I've spent the last year of my life figuring out how to get electricity to my lot at an affordable cost. I'm jealous that you have power, but appear to believe you should have access to the storage and delivery of the grid at no cost to you. I'd LOVE to have access to a free bank of LFP batteries at say, oh, 1000AH. I'll supply the PV panels and CC's, but the unseen benefactor will need to supply the inverter. If I had that, I would not have had to jump through all the hoops I did and hundreds of hours of planning and labor to get electricity. Maybe such an entity exists in my area that I am unaware of.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Living Large
              Without profits, companies don't exist. Would you prefer no power on your street? I can tell you what that is like, because I've spent the last year of my life figuring out how to get electricity to my lot at an affordable cost. I'm jealous that you have power, but appear to believe you should have access to the storage and delivery of the grid at no cost to you. I'd LOVE to have access to a free bank of LFP batteries at say, oh, 1000AH. I'll supply the PV panels and CC's, but the unseen benefactor will need to supply the inverter. If I had that, I would not have had to jump through all the hoops I did and hundreds of hours of planning and labor to get electricity. Maybe such an entity exists in my area that I am unaware of.
              Admit it ! You just don't want to be survivalist.

Comment

• merc4
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Living Large
                Buying a lot with no access to power.... I have a little more foresight than that. And, the POCO is already profiting from me. My over production wasn't even enough to make up for all the riders and fees associated with the grid. They just decided they aren't making "enough" profit from solar users, so they changed the rules. As long as they can make solar less attractive, they'll continue upping the ante.

Comment

• lkruper
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

Buying a lot with no access to power.... I have a little more foresight than that. And, the POCO is already profiting from me. My over production wasn't even enough to make up for all the riders and fees associated with the grid. They just decided they aren't making "enough" profit from solar users, so they changed the rules. As long as they can make solar less attractive, they'll continue upping the ante.
                  How do you know they are profiting from you?

Comment

• sensij
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2014

As an investor owned utility, AEP can not unilaterally make any significant changes to their service. Generally, the changes must be approved by the public utilities commission, and justification of the changes will be a matter of public record, available online through their Docketing Information System. You might find it informative to read through the some of the documentation in support of the riders and other fees which you see as "profit" and may understand better the costs associated with operating and maintaining the grid.

If you are unhappy with the oversight provided by the commission, there are frequently public hearings in which you can participate and voice your concerns. Those hearings are part of the standard process by which rate changes are made. The commission is appointed by the governor, with staggered 5 year terms so that one commissioner is reappointed or replaced each year. As a relatively purple state, your governor tends to be more moderate than many, but if you don't like what he is doing, vote for someone else and encourage others to do so as well.
                    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• merc4
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by sensij
                      As an investor owned utility, AEP can not unilaterally make any significant changes to their service. Generally, the changes must be approved by the public utilities commission, and justification of the changes will be a matter of public record, available online through their Docketing Information System. You might find it informative to read through the some of the documentation in support of the riders and other fees which you see as "profit" and may understand better the costs associated with operating and maintaining the grid.

If you are unhappy with the oversight provided by the commission, there are frequently public hearings in which you can participate and voice your concerns. Those hearings are part of the standard process by which rate changes are made. The commission is appointed by the governor, with staggered 5 year terms so that one commissioner is reappointed or replaced each year. As a relatively purple state, your governor tends to be more moderate than many, but if you don't like what he is doing, vote for someone else and encourage others to do so as well.
                      this isn't about me, or Ohio. As other states create new challenges and limitations and fees, it will spread to the states currently watching in anticipation. Many of you pretend to have no problem with ever increasing fees and new regulations. 10 years from now, you may find yourselves forced out of solar completely. I posted of my small skirmish with the solar war, but I am concerned with the BIG picture, nationwide.

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

this isn't about me, or Ohio. As other states create new challenges and limitations and fees, it will spread to the states currently watching in anticipation. Many of you pretend to have no problem with ever increasing fees and new regulations. 10 years from now, you may find yourselves forced out of solar completely. I posted of my small skirmish with the solar war, but I am concerned with the BIG picture, nationwide.
                        In that case, you may want to watch closely as CA moves away from net metering as it is implemented today (nearly identical to Ohio), and towards a more sustainable model to be unveiled soon and become effective some time next year. The California PUC proceeding number is R1407002, and although it will take several hours of reading to get up to speed, there is a lot to be learned from what has been presented so far. I am not a native Californian, but do see my adopted state as setting an example in this proceeding that is likely to be echoed around the country, local politics notwithstanding.
                        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Living Large
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                          Admit it ! You just don't want to be survivalist.
                          GUILTY AS CHARGED. Maybe I always took the easy route, and can't see any different in my old age. The vision of my body being found frozen like a block of ice and 2' of snow and ice on my solar panels is not appealing.

I ran into two homeowners during my property search, one the seller of my property, who are about 20 years older than I, and they both looked worn out or near worn out maintaining their properties. They looked like I feel sometimes. Nah, I am not a survivalist and never was. I like being independent, but not that independent.

Comment

• merc4
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by sensij
                            In that case, you may want to watch closely as CA moves away from net metering as it is implemented today (nearly identical to Ohio), and towards a more sustainable model to be unveiled soon and become effective some time next year. The California PUC proceeding number is R1407002, and although it will take several hours of reading to get up to speed, there is a lot to be learned from what has been presented so far. I am not a native Californian, but do see my adopted state as setting an example in this proceeding that is likely to be echoed around the country, local politics notwithstanding.
                            thanks, I'll check it out, tho' I'm almost afraid to!!

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Why are you worried about a $150/year electric bill?

IMO there are so many other companies and services that are charging you an arm and a leg as compared to your POCO.

Look at health insurance costs per month, or how about home owners insurance? Then look at the cost of milk, eggs, and other food staples.

Heck even cable and satellite services are increasing in cost.

A $150 per year is a drop in the bucket for what most people spend on food, insurance and entertainment. IMO your anger is focused in the wrong direction.

Comment

• lkruper
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                                Why are you worried about a $150/year electric bill?

IMO there are so many other companies and services that are charging you an arm and a leg as compared to your POCO.

Look at health insurance costs per month, or how about home owners insurance? Then look at the cost of milk, eggs, and other food staples.

Heck even cable and satellite services are increasing in cost.

A $150 per year is a drop in the bucket for what most people spend on food, insurance and entertainment. IMO your anger is focused in the wrong direction.
                                If you buy a cow the local
                                Grocery store has to buy your milk

Comment

Working...