Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me troubleshoot my solar system to stop power flow disruption.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me troubleshoot my solar system to stop power flow disruption.

I live on a boat usually anchored out and recently I've started noticing a problem with my solar setup. What happens is every now and again the power to my devices will stop and then pick back up within 1-3 seconds. I've found that it happens more often when I'm drawing more power and I've only noticed it happening during the day never at night. It's become more frequent but still not too often. When it happens all the I see happening other than power dropping from my devices is that the power strip/surge protector that they're plugged into will also somewhat shut down, by somewhat I mean that the main on/off switch the light will die but the surge protection light will stay on. No alarms go off with my charge controller or inverter and all lights appear normal. I feel like I notice it happening more when there is a plethora of cloudy spots and sunny spots in the sky so my incoming solar energy is constantly changing. I also feel like it happens more when it's windy out and the boat is rocking. But it doesn't always happen in any condition so I can't pinpoint anything.

I have 4 100 watt renogy solar panels in 24v config, pwn charge controller that came with the panels in a starter kit, and 800 watt 24v pure sine wave inverter and 2 interstate wet cell 12v batteries in series so they're 24v. The only thing that connects to the plugs of the inverter is the power strip/surge protector to which my devices connect. I usually only use a relatively low power laptop and sometimes a small fan. Fan uses about 20watts laptop anywhere from 10w-30w. I have my inverter leads at the lowest on the batteries with the charge controller leads above them.

My batteries/leads seem fine no real corrosion, topped with water.
    Never had any problems with panels or charge controller.
    I've only ever had my inverter beep at me if the batteries got too low during nights after days of heavy clouds. Although there was once when the red light on it would flash at me randomly one day but it didn't happen often, hasn't happened with this current problem (not even close in time frame) and only happened the one day. Not even sure what it meant.
    Power strip is just standard strip/surge protector you could pick up at walmart.

My guesses are:
    1.) The power strip is getting too much juice from the inverter and is shorting out and if that's the case how can I prevent that, but my inverter has protections for that and shouldn't be happening.

2.) Power strip is just getting old and having interior degradation issues and can't handle what's being given to it. is it possible that it could rust on the inside and cause this? it's not exactly an outdoor model.

3.) Somehow the switch between using energy from incoming solar to using it from the batteries when switch from sunlight to cloud is too sudden is causing a momentary gap in power transfer but I would figure that electrons travel faster than clouds and a rocking boat and also my inverter would beep at my for low voltage. Maybe it has to be sustained long enough for the low voltage alarm to go off? Or perhaps the other way around and the solar panels hit the sunlight and my inverter gets a push of energy somehow before it can tell it not to give it so much.

I've been watching it a little closer today and I've noticed that the power strip on/off light switch doesn't always shut off when the power drops only sometimes. I've also just noticed that the red light on my invertner turns on sometimes when the power strip shuts off, possibly overvoltage protection? But again this light doesn't always turn on when it happens.

In regards to my inverter, I notice that for some reason when when I have a lot of energy coming in the fan is more likely to be on for and will often turn off then on and off and on repeatedly for extended periods of time. The fan doesn't turn on nearly as much as night as if the incoming energy has something to do with it. Perhaps because my inverter cables are below my charge controller cables on the batteries? Looked up the red light warning I got and it was an over-voltage protection light which has automatic recovery. So what's causing this and what can I do to fix it? The only thing I've changed from my system from before when it didn't happen to now is I added 2 more solar panels, so they are in series parallel but even before they were still in series so it should increase the voltage... right?

It doesn't really cause me too many problems as it's only for a short period of time here and there but since it's happening more often and it's a newer issue that hasn't been happening for the last year that I've lived on the boat, I'd like to address it to prevent any bigger issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you need anymore information let me know. Since this has never been an issue before I'm operating under the idea that this is an equipment issue.

Originally posted by Pickulsaurz View Post
    I live on a boat usually anchored out and recently I've started noticing a problem with my solar setup. What happens is every now and again the power to my devices will stop and then pick back up within 1-3 seconds. I've found that it happens more often when I'm drawing more power and I've only noticed it happening during the day never at night. It's become more frequent but still not too often. When it happens all the I see happening other than power dropping from my devices is that the power strip/surge protector that they're plugged into will also somewhat shut down, by somewhat I mean that the main on/off switch the light will die but the surge protection light will stay on. No alarms go off with my charge controller or inverter and all lights appear normal. I feel like I notice it happening more when there is a plethora of cloudy spots and sunny spots in the sky so my incoming solar energy is constantly changing. I also feel like it happens more when it's windy out and the boat is rocking. But it doesn't always happen in any condition so I can't pinpoint anything.

I have 4 100 watt renogy solar panels in 24v config, pwn charge controller that came with the panels in a starter kit, and 800 watt 24v pure sine wave inverter and 2 interstate wet cell 12v batteries in series so they're 24v. The only thing that connects to the plugs of the inverter is the power strip/surge protector to which my devices connect. I usually only use a relatively low power laptop and sometimes a small fan. Fan uses about 20watts laptop anywhere from 10w-30w. I have my inverter leads at the lowest on the batteries with the charge controller leads above them.

I've only ever had my inverter beep at me if the batteries got too low during nights after days of heavy clouds. Although there was once when the red light on it would flash at me randomly one day but it didn't happen often, hasn't happened with this current problem (not even close in time frame) and only happened the one day. Not even sure what it meant.
    Power strip is just standard strip/surge protector you could pick up at walmart.

My guesses are:
    1.) The power strip is getting too much juice from the inverter and is shorting out and if that's the case how can I prevent that, but my inverter has protections for that and shouldn't be happening.

2.) Power strip is just getting old and having interior degradation issues and can't handle what's being given to it. is it possible that it could rust on the inside and cause this? it's not exactly an outdoor model.

3.) Somehow the switch between using energy from incoming solar to using it from the batteries when switch from sunlight to cloud is too sudden is causing a momentary gap in power transfer but I would figure that electrons travel faster than clouds and a rocking boat and also my inverter would beep at my for low voltage. Maybe it has to be sustained long enough for the low voltage alarm to go off? Or perhaps the other way around and the solar panels hit the sunlight and my inverter gets a push of energy somehow before it can tell it not to give it so much.

I've been watching it a little closer today and I've noticed that the power strip on/off light switch doesn't always shut off when the power drops only sometimes. I've also just noticed that the red light on my invertner turns on sometimes when the power strip shuts off, possibly overvoltage protection? But again this light doesn't always turn on when it happens.

In regards to my inverter, I notice that for some reason when when I have a lot of energy coming in the fan is more likely to be on for and will often turn off then on and off and on repeatedly for extended periods of time. The fan doesn't turn on nearly as much as night as if the incoming energy has something to do with it. Perhaps because my inverter cables are below my charge controller cables on the batteries? Looked up the red light warning I got and it was an over-voltage protection light which has automatic recovery. So what's causing this and what can I do to fix it? The only thing I've changed from my system from before when it didn't happen to now is I added 2 more solar panels, so they are in series parallel but even before they were still in series so it should increase the voltage... right?

It doesn't really cause me too many problems as it's only for a short period of time here and there but since it's happening more often and it's a newer issue that hasn't been happening for the last year that I've lived on the boat, I'd like to address it to prevent any bigger issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you need anymore information let me know. Since this has never been an issue before I'm operating under the idea that this is an equipment issue.
    Not saying this is it, but I recently learned that power strip/surge protectors have a finite lifetime. It is recommended they be replaced at some frequency as they wear out. I do not know what the symptoms are.

Comment

Originally posted by lkruper View Post
      Not saying this is it, but I recently learned that power strip/surge protectors have a finite lifetime. It is recommended they be replaced at some frequency as they wear out. I do not know what the symptoms are.
      In the past some generic power strips used tiny MOV surge suppressors. After they get hit a few
      times, the impedance increases; don't know a test procedure for them. The strips I've seen inside
      cost way too much and had a tiny MOV inside. They could easily be repaired/upgraded with a
      much larger $1 MOV of the same voltage rating.

Other strips may be more substantial than the one described above. Bruce Roe

Comment

Just an idea- it's your inverter shutting down from 'over- voltage'.

Since weather is getting colder the batteries require higher voltage to get fully charged. You also added couple panels which made it easier to charge slightly higher. It also doesn't happen at night when no solar charge is possible so batteries are discharging and their output voltage (input voltage for the inverter) is lower.

I'd get specs for the inverter, measure battery voltage where your inverter is connected and see how far the max voltage on the batteries on a very sunny day from the max rated input voltage of the inverter.

Comment

That's what I'm leaning towards, but it doesn't happen when it's only sunny out, it only happens when it's partly cloudy, like when it moves from a shaded area to a sunny area it gets a voltage spike that the charge controller might not be compensating for but the the inverter is rated for up to 30V (on my 24V system). I'll run some voltage checks when they're near topped off and see if they're equalizing with a voltage spike or something when it moves from shade to sun.

If this is the case, is there anything that I should be worried about? Equipment damage, fire, etc? It seems to be 'handling' it okay but I don't know if that will last and it's certainly not ideal.

Comment

That's what I'm leaning towards, but it doesn't happen when it's only sunny out, it only happens when it's partly cloudy, like when it moves from a shaded area to a sunny area it gets a voltage spike that the charge controller might not be compensating for but the the inverter is rated for up to 30V (on my 24V system). I'll run some voltage checks when they're near topped off and see if they're equalizing with a voltage spike or something when it moves from shade to sun.

If this is the case, is there anything that I should be worried about? Equipment damage, fire, etc? It seems to be 'handling' it okay but I don't know if that will last and it's certainly not ideal.
            When the cloud shadow just leaves the panels, you will be getting both direct sunlight and refracted light from the edge of the cloud. This can sometimes cause a higher than rated panel output, and is generally called the "cloud edge effect". Similar things can happen in winter when panels are pointed vertically or near the horizon and there is clear snow on the ground.

But this would only increase the Imp and Isc output of the panel, not the voltage.
            If your are seeing a voltage rise at the panels it is because the MPPT input circuit on the CC is not working fast enough or well enough. If the CC draws less than Imp the voltage will rise above Vmp.
            If you have a PWM CC then it might see an increase in the battery terminal voltage as more current is supplied for charging. Wire resistance and internal battery resistance will cause this.

But it sounds like you are seeing the battery terminal voltage rise. That will be because of more current flowing, but should only happen if the CC is in Bulk mode. Both Absorb and Float should be voltage regulated.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

My guesses are:

It doesnt sound major, you should be able to narrow it down fairly easily, try a different surge strip, although when surge protection is failing it usually doesnt disrupt normal voltage supply (just lose surge protection). Most likely sounds like voltage fluctuations at battery which input of inverter is sensitive to, you mentioned happening after adding 2 more panels, you could drop 2 panels out of the wiring for a quick test and get a huge clue.
              good luck

Comment

Working...
              X