Grundfos sqe constant pressure vs std with large strorage tank.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigCountry
    • Aug 2015

Grundfos sqe constant pressure vs std with large strorage tank.

I am wondering if anyone is using a grundfos sqe with constant pressure? If so is the amp draw less at lower output? With the sqe it seems that a large storage tank may not gain much except for trying to manage large water use during peak sun which would still apply to constant pressure. If the sqe with constant pressure controller actually uses less power with small flow rates then I think I will spend my money on the controller vs a large pressure tank. Do these work different than a dimmer which as I understand it still draws the same amperage?

Dave
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by BigCountry
    I am wondering if anyone is using a grundfos sqe with constant pressure? If so is the amp draw less at lower output? With the sqe it seems that a large storage tank may not gain much except for trying to manage large water use during peak sun which would still apply to constant pressure. If the sqe with constant pressure controller actually uses less power with small flow rates then I think I will spend my money on the controller vs a large pressure tank. Do these work different than a dimmer which as I understand it still draws the same amperage?

Dave
    If you throttle down the pump output (which is what a constant pressure valve does, matching pump flow rate to consumption rate) it will draw less current, but there will still be frictional losses, etc.

One unambiguous reason for the tank instead is if for any extended period you consumption rate will be greater than the recharge rate of the well. In that case a really big unpressurized tank that is slowly filled over 24 hours can be used, with a second pump if gravity is not enough, to deliver high volumes over a few hours each day.

If you have water uses that are pressure sensitive and you do not want the cyclic pressure changes of a pressurized tank or to put in an external pressure regulator, then the constant pressure pump may be the way to go.
    There will also be less wear and tear on the pump motor and less surges on the electrical system with the constantly running constant pressure pump.
    Last edited by inetdog; 09-29-2015, 11:36 PM.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Stix
      • Jun 2015

Could you not goto the manufacturer page and get the listed specs on the pump for this information? We use a constant pressure and it works perfectly and with the generator it does not even when the it kicks on. Even held at higher pressure and volume the efficiency is great when DC.

Comment

• BigCountry
        • Aug 2015

Thank you for the replys. Grundfos will not talk direct to consumer, only refer you to a local distributer. It would be a stretch to get that kinda info there. None of their listed info shows amps vs flow rate and psi. Only rated amps listed. After more reading it seems that a csv or even a properly sized pump setup at close to max pressure may do. There are several 1/2 hp models ranging from 5-15 gal per min and 1.9 to 4.1 amps. 5 gal per min is plenty for my household needs, but would be light for farm and garden needs. So it seems I can go with the larger pump and manage water usage to limit my amp draw on inverter during peak use.

Dave

Comment

• Stix
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by BigCountry
          Thank you for the replys. Grundfos will not talk direct to consumer, only refer you to a local distributer. It would be a stretch to get that kinda info there. None of their listed info shows amps vs flow rate and psi. Only rated amps listed. After more reading it seems that a csv or even a properly sized pump setup at close to max pressure may do. There are several 1/2 hp models ranging from 5-15 gal per min and 1.9 to 4.1 amps. 5 gal per min is plenty for my household needs, but would be light for farm and garden needs. So it seems I can go with the larger pump and manage water usage to limit my amp draw on inverter during peak use.

Dave
          Just so happens that is in my line of work. Let me see if I can get there info we have many dealers here. Do you have an exact model number?

Comment

• BigCountry
            • Aug 2015

Well was put in this weekend. Will easily handle 15 gal per min, static level 16' , 10' to basement pressure tank. I am thinking of going with the the basic soft start model. Either the 15sq05-110 or the 10sq05-110 and use a cycle stop valve. Amp draw at rated cap is 2.9 and 4.0.

Dave

Comment

Working...