X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBinCBad
    • Dec 2014

Yet Another SD Install 4.5Kw LG 300's SE 5000 in La Costa CA

So after 10 months of hesitation and reluctance, I signed the contract last week to have a 4.5Kw system installed in my home. Went with a reputable installer that many others on the board have used and respected (Thanks Subdriver, TheJq, and Sensij), and have a similar system with LG 300's,and SE 5k inverter. Had my entire roof re-done, and they put in the stand-offs last week before the new tile was laid.

Since I took so long to pull the trigger, I did notice the price/watt slowly decrease with time, which made me reluctant to commit, since it seems to be consistently dropping, and the technology gets better and more efficient. However, I also realized that in the past 10 months, I have paid an electrical bill and polluted the earth more than the slight price delta, so figured gotta jump in at some point. I'm a Realtor and an attorney, and I've constantly recognized the value of an owned system, and the detriment of a leased system or a PPV agreement, so felt it was a good investment to make.

I have a good S/SW facing roof over my garage, which has very little (if any) shading. My SDGE bill is between $150-$200/month, so I'm hoping to stay in tier 1, with the possibility of covering over 80% of my useage. EV's may be in the future, but expandability of my system is somewhat limited by roof space.

I'll update as I go, but looking forward to the slow recoupment of my investment, and hopefully a quick permit, install and tie-in process.

Thanks again to the board for the opinions, suggestions and referrals. This is an evolving enterprise and its great to have a resource to learn before making a big investment.

Cheers,
    Joel
  • max2k
    • May 2015

Originally posted by JBinCBad
    So after 10 months of hesitation and reluctance, I signed the contract last week to have a 4.5Kw system installed in my home. Went with a reputable installer that many others on the board have used and respected (Thanks Subdriver, TheJq, and Sensij), and have a similar system with LG 300's,and SE 5k inverter. Had my entire roof re-done, and they put in the stand-offs last week before the new tile was laid.

Since I took so long to pull the trigger, I did notice the price/watt slowly decrease with time, which made me reluctant to commit, since it seems to be consistently dropping, and the technology gets better and more efficient. However, I also realized that in the past 10 months, I have paid an electrical bill and polluted the earth more than the slight price delta, so figured gotta jump in at some point. I'm a Realtor and an attorney, and I've constantly recognized the value of an owned system, and the detriment of a leased system or a PPV agreement, so felt it was a good investment to make.

I have a good S/SW facing roof over my garage, which has very little (if any) shading. My SDGE bill is between $150-$200/month, so I'm hoping to stay in tier 1, with the possibility of covering over 80% of my useage. EV's may be in the future, but expandability of my system is somewhat limited by roof space.

I'll update as I go, but looking forward to the slow recoupment of my investment, and hopefully a quick permit, install and tie-in process.

Thanks again to the board for the opinions, suggestions and referrals. This is an evolving enterprise and its great to have a resource to learn before making a big investment.

Cheers,
    Joel
    How much did it cost before rebates if you don't mind sharing price info? I have very similar energy consumption level and my hesitation mostly comes from the worse cost / kW level for the smaller systems.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

I'd wager if everyone followed your example for diligence and deliberateness, there would be a lot more well installed and more cost effective arrays being installed. Sounds like so far, so good............$$'s ??

Comment

• JBinCBad
        • Dec 2014

Thanks guys, this may sound a bit petty, but my installer asked that I not disclose my $$. It certainly is not the cheapest on the board, but it is competitive with the current going-rates in the area. Currently, only the standoffs are in, and the roof was just buttoned-up on Saturday, so the fun comes with the racking and panels. Still trying to get a timeline/calendar from the project coordinator, I guess I should have hashed this out before signing. The contract has a 3 mo. time period, but it only takes a day to rack and hang the panels. No HOA, so the only bureaucracy or excuse for delay will be the permitting. . .

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Thanks guys, this may sound a bit petty, but my installer asked that I not disclose my $$. It certainly is not the cheapest on the board, but it is competitive with the current going-rates in the area. Currently, only the standoffs are in, and the roof was just buttoned-up on Saturday, so the fun comes with the racking and panels. Still trying to get a timeline/calendar from the project coordinator, I guess I should have hashed this out before signing. The contract has a 3 mo. time period, but it only takes a day to rack and hang the panels. No HOA, so the only bureaucracy or excuse for delay will be the permitting. . .
          For any part I had in your choice(s), you're welcome. To bad the sortable CSI database isn't useful anymore. When active, the only thing not public record about a residential install that got a CSI rebate was the name/street address of the user/owner, right down to the tilt/azimuth of the array, the equipment, the cost and lots more. It was a very powerful tool in consumer's hands. .....................................Also too bad about 98% (my SWAG) of solar users didn't make the effort to know it existed much less use it. But, that was then - this is now.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Another thought: If that's the same vendor Thejq, Subdriver and others have used, he may be trying to get off that low price he backed himself into and let other posters who used him rat him out on price. Just sayin'.......................................One advantage of this forum may be that it allows readers and posters to be more informed about prices than the great unwashed masses................................ If I was a vendor, particularly in San Diego or So.CA, and I knew about this forum, I might think 2X about quoting someone who was aware of this forum and look for low hanging fruit elsewhere that was not so potentially price savvy as to know that good stuff from quality vendors can be had for $3.50/Watt.

Comment

• thejq
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2014

Congrats Joel! It's funny that the same vendor told me not to disclose the prices too. I have a feeling J.P.M. is right, he got himself into a situation that too much people know his bottom line through this forum.
              16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• JBinCBad
                • Dec 2014

Most of us are here not only to learn about the systems, but to also compare quotes and try to get the "best deal" possible. I put quotes there because everyone wants something a little cheaper than the guy before him, thus the conflict with installers that get referrals from this board. I used info on this board to get competitive quotes, and half the installers I spoke with were so insulted that I wanted a good deal, they refused to talk with me, and were quite rude.

Just got an email from installer telling me I'm probably about a month out from install, mostly due to the engineering and permit process. Installation is such a basic, modular thing, I'm a little disappointed it will take that long, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Comment

• JBinCBad
                  • Dec 2014

Another quick thought: The vendors getting referrals here obviously benefit from this board, and get business they wouldn't have gotten without the board, so the fact that it creates a more aggressive market is a cost of getting that increase in business. More installs, but probably at a thinner margin, is still good business sense, and everyone benefits.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Another quick thought: The vendors getting referrals here obviously benefit from this board, and get business they wouldn't have gotten without the board, so the fact that it creates a more aggressive market is a cost of getting that increase in business. More installs, but probably at a thinner margin, is still good business sense, and everyone benefits.
                    Maybe another part of what's going on is, real, or imagined, or contrived by parties with skin in the game, as the 5% caps get closer, there will be a scarcity of installation capacity due to the scrambling...................... Scarcity of a needed commodity causes the price to go up...................... I'd expect some supply/demand price pressure from that................................. If I was a vendor, I'd sell to the market. That is, it makes little sense for me as a vendor to install quality for $3.50/Watt, when everyone else is getting $4.00 -$4.50 for about the same stuff. In that case, I'd probably sell to the market and bid, say, $3.90/Watt................................... This forum may be a good example of how knowledge can be power - at least in terms of quality and pricing...................................... On the other hand, there are a lot of folks in San Diego anyway, who know nothing of this forum and like the sheeple they are, get shorn. More than a few of them live in my HOA. Those are the kinds of customers I'd look for if I was a vendor. They're also called low hanging fruit. It's just business.

Comment

• jakepv
                      • Aug 2015

Joel - would you mind sharing who you went with? Please PM me.

Comment

• JBinCBad
                        • Dec 2014

General Timeline in San Diego Installs?

Before I signed my install contract, I asked regarding the 3-month window the installer put in the contract. It was explained to me that due to matters outside their control (eg the city issuing permits, I understood it mean), the 3 mos. was a reasonable time, but it may go much faster. Now I'm a bit concerned, as to whether its just a business opportunity to sign as many contracts as possible, and put them in the "get to it later" pile.

Can others chime in on their timing from contract to install? My mounts are already installed when the roof was done (2 wks ago), but haven't had any progress since. It'd be nice to have them installed overnight, but I think getting the permit application submitted within a few weeks is reasonable, no?

I'm seeing a lot of productive sun days pass without capture, and am getting a bit impatient, but I didn't change the date in the contract, so I guess its my bad for not ensuring the installer made reasonable and timely efforts to get it done.

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

3 months is on the high side, but is not unheard of. There is nothing in the process that requires that much time, the city usually turns around permits pretty fast... typically 1 to 2 weeks, although it can be faster if your installer is good at preparing the application. So yeah, they are running their business, but I wouldn't consider it malicious or a sign of bad faith.
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

FWIW, Maybe too late for the JCinCBad but for others, I put a clause in my contract that if the installer missed the agreed on date, he would pick up my entire electric bill until startup. He beat the committed date by 1 day.

Comment

• JBinCBad
                              • Dec 2014

Thanks guys, I probably should have squeezed him on the date before signing. Its tough to try not to be a d*ck but get the best, quickest deal and install. I believe there is some language about compensation if the delay is beyond the contract and within their control, I just didn't see much concern until the crickets started chirping. The roof install, my entire roof, only took 3 days, they were on and off like flies on, you know. . .

Comment

Working...