Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juju
    • Mar 2015

Energy Efficient Wall Mount AC Units

I am looking to get as much info as possible about the options for wall mount energy efficient AC units out there (used in 220V country).

I am looking to compare the wattage and cost differential between these and regular 220v wall mount units. Can someone point me to a great resource to get info about these?

Any recommended brands?
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

Google inverter mini split heat pump
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• juju
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Naptown
      Google inverter mini split heat pump
      My search led me to quite a few options ( which confused me a bit more!).
      • Are there units that cool only ? (no heating function). Or they all include heating + cooling. I am looking at using these in Africa so heating is unnecessary.
      • I found one with the following specs: Cooling Power Input ( Min - Max) W : 1000 (365 - 1080). Why the wide range in power input? Is 365W on standby mode? I am looking to compare this to regular units in use ( about 2500W) to help me figure out the energy savings to switch to these new types.
      • Some examples I found don't include the power input ( W). I therefore did my own calculations. One had 230V with 2.7 rated running current for cooling. So i came up with 621W. Is this correct?
      • What are the best ones out there ( from a low wattage perspective ). Thats really what I am looking for.

Comment

• Naptown
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2011

The inverter units will vary power depending on the cooling or heating load.
        This is really a solar forum
        You may be better served going to an HVAC forum.
        Make sure you give all the info such as location and cooling only.
        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• juju
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Naptown
          The inverter units will vary power depending on the cooling or heating load.
          This is really a solar forum
          You may be better served going to an HVAC forum.
          Make sure you give all the info such as location and cooling only.
          I was hoping folks here would have some experience using these energy efficient systems - hence my posting here. To reduce loads for solar systems, I am assuming folks have dabbled in using some of these energy efficient units ?

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Hello for CO.

Units that both heat and cool are known as heat pumps, and are slightly less efficient than a cooling only. In you part of the country Daikin, Mitsubishi, and Fujitsu are your best bets. All those units are Split Ductless models, they are not window units.

Using Window Units (aka window shakers) and efficient in the same sentence is a bit of a oxymoron as none of them are considered efficient. Window Shakers are made for the low end market and the best SEER rating you will find in them is about 13. Split Duct systems SEER ranges from 16 to 26 but to get that means Big Buck$ You can get a 10,000 BTU 13 SEER window shaker for around $300. A 10,000 BTU 20 SEER Split duct is going to cost you $2000 or more, plus all the hardware and piping to make it work.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• juju
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
              Hello for CO.

Units that both heat and cool are known as heat pumps, and are slightly less efficient than a cooling only. In you part of the country Daikin, Mitsubishi, and Fujitsu are your best bets. All those units are Split Ductless models, they are not window units.

Using Window Units (aka window shakers) and efficient in the same sentence is a bit of a oxymoron as none of them are considered efficient. Window Shakers are made for the low end market and the best SEER rating you will find in them is about 13. Split Duct systems SEER ranges from 16 to 26 but to get that means Big Buck$ You can get a 10,000 BTU 13 SEER window shaker for around $300. A 10,000 BTU 20 SEER Split duct is going to cost you $2000 or more, plus all the hardware and piping to make it work.
              This is good info . Thanks. I was really thinking of split duct systems ( not window shakers). I will check out the brands you mention. What is a good wattage to expect for a really efficient one - assuming price isn't an issue?

Comment

• emartin00
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by juju
                This is good info . Thanks. I was really thinking of split duct systems ( not window shakers). I will check out the brands you mention. What is a good wattage to expect for a really efficient one - assuming price isn't an issue?
                The Wattage will depend on the cooling load. They come in sizes anywhere from about 3500BTU up to 50,000BTU.

Comment

• juju
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by emartin00
                  The Wattage will depend on the cooling load. They come in sizes anywhere from about 3500BTU up to 50,000BTU.
                  Hi there @emartin00. BTU of typical ( or popular wall mounts I see ) are around 24,000. I now need to find something that is around that capacity but more efficient. The wattage for units in use today is around 2,600 with 24,000 BTUs.

Comment

• silversaver
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2013

I just recently bought a mini split 12000BTU (1 ton) 23 SEER as enhancement cooling. As other have mentioned, Mitsubushi, Daikin, Fujitsu are good brand, but depends on your budget. I have got two quoted with installation around $2900 to $3500. Please do NOT go to HomeDepot for mini split with installation, they are the CRAZY one. The guy has no idea on mini split and quoted me $9158 installed a Mitsubishi unit. "Yeah, we are Homedepot and you are worry free" - dumbass.

You can find many mini split on sales on Amazon or eBay (google is your best friend), I think is is worth of try. I end up purchase a China made unit for $800 locally and pay a HVAC guy $350 to install (vaccum....etc) and electrician $200 for 50ft conduit run with AC disconnect + few accessories. All in under $1500.

Comment

• juju
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by silversaver
                      I just recently bought a mini split 12000BTU (1 ton) 23 SEER as enhancement cooling. As other have mentioned, Mitsubushi, Daikin, Fujitsu are good brand, but depends on your budget. I have got two quoted with installation around $2900 to $3500. Please do NOT go to HomeDepot for mini split with installation, they are the CRAZY one. The guy has no idea on mini split and quoted me $9158 installed a Mitsubishi unit. "Yeah, we are Homedepot and you are worry free" - dumbass.

You can find many mini split on sales on Amazon or eBay (google is your best friend), I think is is worth of try. I end up purchase a China made unit for $800 locally and pay a HVAC guy $350 to install (vaccum....etc) and electrician $200 for 50ft conduit run with AC disconnect + few accessories. All in under $1500.
                      So on your 12,000 BTU with 23 SEER, you are getting about 522 W output ? My 24,000 BTU unit will need something close to 33 SEER to even come close to that ( 727 W).

Comment

• silversaver
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2013

So on your 12,000 BTU with 23 SEER, you are getting about 522 W output ? My 24,000 BTU unit will need something close to 33 SEER to even come close to that ( 727 W).
                        890W (Cooling)

1000W (Heating)

Comment

• juju
                          • Mar 2015

890W (Cooling)

1000W (Heating)
                          Interesting. I am using the formula W= BTU/SEER (that puts it a bit off from your actual figure.)

Comment

• silversaver
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2013

interesting. I am using the formula w= btu/seer (that puts it a bit off from your actual figure.)
                            W= BTU / EER

SEER and EER are both the ratio between btu/hr of cooling and the amount of watts (power) used. However, the key word is S which stands for "seasonal", because EER is the ratio of btu/hr to watts on the hot operating temperature while SEER is the btu/hr to watts as a number of different temperatures.

Comment

• juju
                              • Mar 2015

W= BTU / EER

SEER and EER are both the ratio between btu/hr of cooling and the amount of watts (power) used. However, the key word is S which stands for "seasonal", because EER is the ratio of btu/hr to watts on the hot operating temperature while SEER is the btu/hr to watts as a number of different temperatures.
                              Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...