X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ummervayy
    • Jun 2015

specification of invertor and charge cotroller

I wish to know the technical details ie specification of invertor and charge controller for a solar panel of 200 W, so that I can purchase both invertor and charge controller.
  • dbb1023
    • Jun 2015

solarinverter/charger

Originally posted by ummervayy
    I wish to know the technical details ie specification of invertor and charge controller for a solar panel of 200 W, so that I can purchase both invertor and charge controller.
    FYI I am no expert but I have been watching this solarinverter/charger SUNRAIDEN have a look at it; it might just be what you looking for ;its on kickstarter com . I backed it and I have asked several people for their honest opinion and its mostly positive.
    Last edited by Mike90250; 07-20-2015, 12:35 PM. Reason: mung links, adjust title

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Folks expressing opinions about possible products on Kickstarter are merely parroting the sales pitch of the kickstarter.

One only needs to introduce their Pet Rock to the Solar Road and you have a hunk of natural mineral quickly destroying a fancy idea.

There is no magic pavement that sunlight can shine through to generate power, that can withstand the rigors of traffic. Oh, wait, here - invest in me.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• dbb1023
        • Jun 2015

opinions. ... facts. . etc

Originally posted by Mike90250
        Folks expressing opinions about possible products on Kickstarter are merely parroting the sales pitch of the kickstarter.

One only needs to introduce their Pet Rock to the Solar Road and you have a hunk of natural mineral quickly destroying a fancy idea.

There is no magic pavement that sunlight can shine through to generate power, that can withstand the rigors of traffic. Oh, wait, here - invest in me.
        did not want to start a war just wanted your guys take on something I thought was great... so now I know and I won't mention it again..I THOUGHT IT WAS WORTH A SECOND LOOK NOT PROMOTING KICKSTARTER JUST LIKED WHAT I SAW and thought of asking more questions since we need more people to give us easier
        Access to Solar. ..Peace... If you don't mind I'll just sit back and learn...

Comment

• solarix
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2015

The thing to keep in mind about small solar systems is that most all PV panels these days are for large systems and are the 24Vnominal type - which means they really run at more like 31V and if you try and connect them to a 12V battery with a low cost charge controller you will be wasting about half the solar power. If you are going to run a 12 battery so as to use low cost automotive inverters, you need to use 12V type solar panels so you can use PWM type, low cost charge controllers. 24V panels need the expensive MPPT charge controllers to efficiently operate a regular panel. SO - you can either use an expensive 12V panel (as they are not in much demand anymore) with a cheap controller or you can get a lot of bang for your buck with a 24V type PV panel - but you will spend more than the panels on a MPPT charge controller. There is just no good way to do systems in the in-between range of 200 to 1000 watts.
          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• dbb1023
            • Jun 2015

this is great info..but

I really appreciate the info but I still think that this solarinverter/charger will work for my needs and i am sure others that live off grid ..i am not worried loosing some energy ..the sun will give me what i need ..

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by dbb1023
              I really appreciate the info but I still think that this solarinverter/charger will work for my needs and i am sure others that live off grid ..i am not worried loosing some energy ..the sun will give me what i need ..
              Still it might be wise to understand how the equipment works and where the "loses" from inefficiency come from. The first step in lowering cost by using solar energy or any power source is to learn how to use less and avoid waste.

Oh... the last time I was in Ft Worth is was cloudy for 3 days straight. So much for the sun giving you what you need on a 24/7 basis.

Comment

• dbb1023
                • Jun 2015

knowledge is the key

Originally posted by SunEagle
                Still it might be wise to understand how the equipment works and where the "loses" from inefficiency come from. The first step in lowering cost by using solar energy or any power source is to learn how to use less and avoid waste.

Oh... the last time I was in Ft Worth is was cloudy for 3 days straight. So much for the sun giving you what you need on a 24/7 basis.
                I AM LEARNING ....and I will learn as I go on ...so I am going to support this Sunraiden because I just think at least the guy is doing something good and I feel it is just going to work for me and a lot of other people that are in need of electricity and have no other access to power ...I certainly will get a better system once I get richer but for now that is what I can afford and I still believe it will hold me over a power outage which we have so many off here in Texas and it will give me power when I stay of the grid ..then I learn as I go on ...and I agree waste is never good !!!! I love to learn and see how things work ...and I also love to give people a chance that love to do better and work for making solar more accessible to people because the oil companies certainly are continuing to push their product and we are still supporting countries that are against our american principles ...SO LET's ALL LEARN and work to make this a better place for ALL ....thank's for listening and providing me with all that info

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

I AM LEARNING ....and I will learn as I go on ...so I am going to support this Sunraiden because I just think at least the guy is doing something good and I feel it is just going to work for me and a lot of other people that are in need of electricity and have no other access to power ...I certainly will get a better system once I get richer but for now that is what I can afford and I still believe it will hold me over a power outage which we have so many off here in Texas and it will give me power when I stay of the grid ..then I learn as I go on ...and I agree waste is never good !!!! I love to learn and see how things work ...and I also love to give people a chance that love to do better and work for making solar more accessible to people because the oil companies certainly are continuing to push their product and we are still supporting countries that are against our american principles ...SO LET's ALL LEARN and work to make this a better place for ALL ....thank's for listening and providing me with all that info
                  I am all for new inventions that use improved technology. What made this country great is the "forward thinking" individuals that were not afraid of trying something different at any cost.

I am still a little cautious when someone believes they have developed a better mousetrap but needs a lot of funding from "others" to get his product to market. Taking money from people that can afford the investment is ok. Taking money from people that do not have a clue about the technology, are easily led by the nose and can't really afford to invest in any type of research is just wrong.

I hope that Sunraiden becomes a viable product for you and others. I just pray that it doesn't become a black hole to throw hard earned money at without any return.

Let us know when you get it and how it is working for your needs.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Over the years I've learned that often what seemed like a good and worthy idea didn't look as great when revisited after more education and experience. I also learned to not believe everything I see, hear or read. You may find some of the same. In the meantime, know that knowledge is power. Keep searching.

One other thing I learned along the way is that being without electricity 1X/a while is, is, in spite of, and perhaps contrary to common thinking, except in some unfortunate medical situations, not the end of life as we know it. Just sayin'.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                      Over the years I've learned that often what seemed like a good and worthy idea didn't look as great when revisited after more education and experience. I also learned to not believe everything I see, hear or read. You may find some of the same. In the meantime, know that knowledge is power. Keep searching.

One other thing I learned along the way is that being without electricity 1X/a while is, is, in spite of, and perhaps contrary to common thinking, except in some unfortunate medical situations, not the end of life as we know it. Just sayin'.
                      During the last power outage, my wife and I set up a battery operated camping lantern and read a book. It was very peaceful.

Comment

• DWBayless
                        • Oct 2014

I watched the video on kickstarter for this product. Regardless the quality and relative merits of this product - if I went camping, or to the beach, and someone pulled out a large screen TV, lead acid battery, and a bunch of wires, one of us would be going home.

DW

Comment

• dbb1023
                          • Jun 2015

I will certainly keep you posted

Originally posted by SunEagle
                          I am all for new inventions that use improved technology. What made this country great is the "forward thinking" individuals that were not afraid of trying something different at any cost.

I am still a little cautious when someone believes they have developed a better mousetrap but needs a lot of funding from "others" to get his product to market. Taking money from people that can afford the investment is ok. Taking money from people that do not have a clue about the technology, are easily led by the nose and can't really afford to invest in any type of research is just wrong.

I hope that Sunraiden becomes a viable product for you and others. I just pray that it doesn't become a black hole to throw hard earned money at without any return.

Let us know when you get it and how it is working for your needs.
                          Well I know it will ..I have checked the guy out he is trust worthy and he is knowledgeable .... And Its not research money they are asking for its production money ...and I am sure your prayers will be answered and SUNRAIDEN will be a viable product in the future .and will be a blessing for people that need affordable solar energy ..
                          now lets go back to the real solar talk at hand ........we need to get more people turn towards solar as a true energy source....

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Well I know it will ..I have checked the guy out he is trust worthy and he is knowledgeable .... And Its not research money they are asking for its production money ...and I am sure your prayers will be answered and SUNRAIDEN will be a viable product in the future .and will be a blessing for people that need affordable solar energy ..
                            now lets go back to the real solar talk at hand ........we need to get more people turn towards solar as a true energy source....
                            Solar has always been a "true" energy source just like water and wind. It comes down to how much energy do you need, how long during the day do you need to use it and how much does it cost to generate that electricity.

It is not that solar can't be used as an energy source. It can't be used 24/7 until a low cost "storage" system is designed and affordable by the masses.

While renewable sources are getting cheaper to generate electricity they are yet able to provide consistent and reliable power in the quantities needed from the generating point to the use point.

Maybe if we use less then RE can supply a higher % of what is consumed. As of now people use and waste too much to be covered by solar alone.

Comment

• Michieme
                              • Jul 2015

hilarious-solar

did not want to start a war just wanted your guys take on something I thought was great... so now I know and I won't mention it again..I THOUGHT IT WAS WORTH A SECOND LOOK NOT PROMOTING KICKSTARTER JUST LIKED WHAT I SAW and thought of asking more questions since we need more people to give us easier
                              Access to Solar. ..Peace... If you don't mind I'll just sit back and learn...

LOL!!!!!! dbb1023 I agree with you that the sunraiden looks interesting.... I simply got one cause it looks easy to use and it looks like it works with teenagers and a huge backyard we can do some fun party ideas with it...... however Mike looks like he is very knowledgeable about solar products and with everything there is no miracles as he said..... I think it is hilarious this discussion.... I am all solar because am for the earth we only got one

Comment

Working...