Moderation in all things baby, and moderation is the first to go!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bridaus
    • Dec 2014

Great rule, I always have thought of this as one rule: "Be constructive."

If the discourse is further advancing the topic, or the relationship of the people who are engaging in the topic, then ALLOWED.

If it is completely ignoring the topic, damaging valuable information, or damaging the persons involved, then deleted - warned appropriately - then after multiple transgressions temp/perma-ban.

I view the value of the advice given as worth taking a lick or two, not just on the internet, but in real life too. Sometimes you need a little adrenaline to learn a thing or two.

No matter what, don't overreact to a vocal minority or one issue. This is an active board, things are bound to happen. Moderation is not just a noun, not just a verb, but sage advice as well.

Originally posted by PNjunction
    Essentially, there were only TWO rules which when violated would subject one to being banned:

1) Don't be excessively annoying.

and just as importantly:

2) Don't be easily annoyed.
    Last edited by bridaus; 06-29-2015, 11:23 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bridaus
      great rule, i always have thought of this as one rule: "be constructive."

if the discourse is further advancing the topic, or the relationship of the people who are engaging in the topic, then allowed.

If it is completely ignoring the topic, damaging valuable information, or damaging the persons involved, then deleted - warned appropriately - then after multiple transgressions temp/perma-ban.

I view the value of the advice given as worth taking a lick or two, not just on the internet, but in real life too. Sometimes you need a little adrenaline to learn a thing or two.

no matter what, don't overreact to a vocal minority or one issue. This is an active board, things are bound to happen. Moderation is not just a noun, not just a verb, but sage advice as well.
      +1.

Comment

• Amy@altE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

Jeepers, I went away for a little while, and come back to find this. Thank you very much for the extra work involved in trying to keep this a more positive forum. I know I've been accused of trying to be too far of the pendulum swing and being all sunshine and roses, but so many of the threads have turned so toxic, I've had to reluctantly leave for my own sake. I know some people need a good smack upside the head when they refuse to believe a truth they don't want to hear, but it was taken much too far too often. This is a great place to learn, and the negativity was driving many people away. Hopefully the atmosphere will now be helpful and truthful, but not nasty and personal, the smack on the head will be with an open hand, not a closed fist. Too PC would be a shame as well, as there are certainly valid points on both sides and much to be learned from people with opposing views. Thanks again.
        Solar Queen
        altE Store

Comment

• Living Large
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Amy@altE
          Hopefully the atmosphere will now be helpful and truthful, but not nasty and personal, the smack on the head will be with an open hand, not a closed fist. Too PC would be a shame as well, as there are certainly valid points on both sides and much to be learned from people with opposing views.
          Very well put, Amy.

Comment

• karrak
            • May 2015

I don't think personal attacks, belittling and bullying should be tolerated. There are allot of very knowledgeable people out there who are not thick skinned and will shrink away when personally attacked and bullied. This will mean that people who uses these tactics when putting forward their viewpoint and refuting other people's posts will appear to win discussions even though the information they are putting forward is incorrect or is not the only valid viewpoint.

This sort of behaviour may be entertaining to some, but is not very helpful for good technical discussions.

I would also like to see any posts in technical discussions that deviate too far from the topic be moved to other threads or deleted so the original thread does not get too difficult to follow. If possible, maybe the person who started the thread should have some say in this.

I don't think people should be banned for posting what is deemed dangerous information. I think it would be more constructive to politely tell the person who has posted the information what is wrong with their approach so they and others reading the posts might learn something.

Simon
            Off-Grid LFP(LiFePO4) system since April 2013

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by karrak
              I don't think personal attacks, belittling and bullying should be tolerated. There are allot of very knowledgeable people out there who are not thick skinned and will shrink away when personally attacked and bullied. This will mean that people who uses these tactics when putting forward their viewpoint and refuting other people's posts will appear to win discussions even though the information they are putting forward is incorrect or is not the only valid viewpoint.

This sort of behaviour may be entertaining to some, but is not very helpful for good technical discussions.

I would also like to see any posts in technical discussions that deviate too far from the topic be moved to other threads or deleted so the original thread does not get too difficult to follow. If possible, maybe the person who started the thread should have some say in this.

I don't think people should be banned for posting what is deemed dangerous information. I think it would be more constructive to politely tell the person who has posted the information what is wrong with their approach so they and others reading the posts might learn something.

Simon
              Perhaps there's some value in an attempt by all for some regression toward the mean in the sense that the more aggressive behavior of some folks (the bullying) be toned down in an attempt at being more considerate of others' sensibilities, and the timid work on being less sensitive to what may be perceived, but not meant as aggression, with everyone's eye toward the goal of more effective communication.

Fortune favors the bold (aggressive), but you get more bees with honey than vinegar.

Comment

• solar pete
                Administrator
                • May 2014

Simon[/QUOTE]

Totally dont agree with this. This is what started the whole mess. People who are told they are wrong about something who then go on to be personally offended and claim they are being bullied when in actual fact they are being corrected. I believe that people who are non technical and by that I mean no qualifications of any sort in relation to the topic they want to talk about should not attempt to give technical advise. If they do and get shot down for it be it on their own heads

Comment

• DanKegel
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by solar pete
                  Totally dont agree with this. This is what started the whole mess. People who are told they are wrong about something who then go on to be personally offended and claim they are being bullied when in actual fact they are being corrected.
                  So you agree with Sunking's goal (getting a member he disagreed with to leave), but not with his methods (trolling and doxxing that member)?

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

OK, this thread has degenerated from a general discussion of policy into a group of complaints about specific members. That was never the intent and does not advance the health of the community, so until the thread gets cleaned up and the purpose made clear I am closing it.

Any other Mods who would like to help with the cleanup, feel free to do so.

---inetdog.
                    Last edited by inetdog; 06-30-2015, 08:19 PM.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• solar pete
                      Administrator
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by DanKegel
                      So you agree with Sunking's goal (getting a member he disagreed with to leave), but not with his methods (trolling and doxxing that member)?
                      NO. It seems to me that you are attempting to put words in my mouth.

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

Note that Mods and Admins can still add to a Closed thread....
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Naptown
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2011

Members that are espousing things that are dangerous and defending them rigorosly need to be set straight.
                          Being set straight does not neceassarily equal bullying.
                          It is actually a kindness in that it is trying to prevent someone from getting hurt or worse killed.
                          Yes SK can be short in a response.
                          However in the 6 years I have been here I have yet to see him tell someone to do something dangerous.
                          For that matter he hates folks wasting their money on stuff that just won't work. Dangerous or no.
                          For those who feel hurt how about you answer the same question and be argued with several times a day every day. And then have to have infinite patience over and over again.
                          There are basically no new questions just the same ones again and again.
                          So how about for you new folks use the search feature with your question.
                          Probably find an answer there. If not then ask.
                          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...