Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lunchat8
    • May 2015

SMA Sunnyboy TL inverter with 2-plane roof & slight shading SunPower system

Hello, I'm new to the forum but I have been following older threads for a month or two to help figure out what to install in my Sacramento (actually Sierra foothills, about 35 miles east of Sac) 2 story all-electric home. I read with considerable interest a lengthy thread comparing SunPower to SolarWorld in a San Diego application which was very helpful; however my main concern is a different one than was addressed there.

The heart of my query has to do with the shade and/or multiple roof plane management capacities of the SMA Sunnyboy TL string inverter and its "multiple MPP trackers and OptiTrac Global Peak" software, which the SMA spec sheet on this product line claims will "mitigate the effect of shade and allow for installation at challenging sites." Typically these are exactly the areas of greatest weakness for string inverter-based systems.

My house is on a hillside sloping to the east, with several different roof segments that slope at different pitches and in different directions; nowhere is the roof flat. One very large roof segment slopes mainly to the south (a little to the east) and 2 smaller segments slope mainly to the east (a little to the north). These segments are at right angles to one another. It gets hot in the summer here, with many days in the 90s and 10 - 15 days over 100 in recent years.

My roof gets direct sunlight all day long, and cloudy, overcast days are rather rare here, even before the long drought set in. However there is a 4-foot chimney on the outside edge of the big south roof that casts a shadow in a 180 degree arc throughout the day, like a big, thick, sundial pointer; I estimate that its shadow will sweep across perhaps 5-7% of the south-facing panel array, moving continually, and of course not affecting the east facing section. Other than that, there is no shading but of course the east-facing smaller sections do not receive full, direct sun in the afternoon to the same extent as the big south facing section.

I have 2 bids that I like, and the cost of each is virtually identical, with a difference of only a few hundred dollars:

1) 16 Sunpower 327 panels generating 5.23 kW with an SMA Sunnyboy 5000TL string inverter;

2) 20 SolarWorld 280 panels generating 5.6 kW with EnPhase 250 microinverters.

I need help figuring out which way to go. Here are some factors I am already weighing:

Microinverters are more efficient and are generally quite strongly preferred in applications with more than one roof plane and any significant shading, but the SunPower 327 panel does not yet have a compatible microinverter for pairing instead of the string inverter, although optimizers such as Solar Edge and Tigo can be added.

The EnPhase product is the market leader and warrantied for 25 years (as are both the SunPower and SolarWorld panels, with linear guarantees), and will combine satisfactorily with the SolarWorld 280. (I have followed discussions of whether or not the EnPhase 250 restricts the output of a SW280 panel in any significant way, and suspect that, based on what I have read, it will not; but am open to hearing divergent views based on my particular circumstances).

However it remains to be seen how this technology stands the test of time in high temperature environments, which I consider mine to be. The SolarWorld panels are slightly larger than the SunPower (40x65 vs. 41x61, I believe) and 20 of them would eat up twice the rooftop real estate on the east side of the house (with 8 panels vs. 4 of the Sunpower), but they will be effectively invisible from below so that is a very minor issue.

The SolarWorld panel is rated at 16+%, which is not especially high, although it is considered sturdy and reliable, while the SunPower is rated at 20%. Both products are warrantied to retain efficiency very well over their projected 25 year lifespan. The SunPower is known and accepted to be more or less the "gold standard" in the residential PV market and as such may hold resale value better than less well known and lower rated products that in practical terms may perform about the same.

The SunPower output may be reduced as a result of using a single string converter in my 2-plane environment with some, but very little, shading; although adding power optimizers such as the Solar Edge product is too expensive an option for me.

The question I cannot answer but hope someone here can address is how well the current line of SMA string converters including this Sunnyboy 5000TL that has been proposed for me, actually perform at optimizing string efficiency, given that they deal with inputs of 1 - 3 strings as basic units, rather than each modular panel as can be done with microinverters.

If the east-facing cluster of say 4 SunPower 327s is on one string, and the large south-facing array of 12 Sunpower 327s is split into 2 strings of 6 panels each, can the SMA TL inverter compete at all evenly with the actual efficiency of a 20-panel SolarWorld array coupled with EnPhase 250 microinverters in my specific situation? Would the actual throughput vary much in this scenario? Would there be other considerations I haven't mentioned (given that the costs of the 2 systems as described are equivalent)?

Unless there would be a significant difference between the performance of the two systems, I am inclined to go with SunPower/SMA even though that would violate the single-plane/no shading rule of string inverters. But if the penalty in lost efficiency would be too great, then it would be a mistake and I should go with SolarWorld/EnPhase, it seems to me.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Bob
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Basically, if you are not going to use optimizers, you must not mix panels on different roof planes in a single series string.
    Since the SB you are looking at has two separate MPPT inputs you do not need to match the voltage (string size) between the two sets of panels.

If the occasionally shaded panels are divided equally between the strings going into one MPPT input, the losses caused by the shading will be minimal, especially if the shading is outside prime production hours. What you want to avoid is unequal shading between two strings.

Using SolarEdge optimizers currently requires you to use their string inverters, either under their own label or rebranded.

The SB TL-US line is high efficiency, and offers you the Secure Power Supply if you find that attractive.

If you are short of roof space and are maxing out the available area, then the higher power per unit area of the SunPower panels may justify the extra cost. But for most installation, where space is not critical, the lower cost per watt of other panels makes them more suitable.
    The lower loss of efficiency over time has not yet been proven to be a big advantage.
    Last edited by inetdog; 05-30-2015, 06:06 PM.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

Yes, the SMA TL inverters do a good job for your type of roof. The dual MPPT inputs will do almost as well as having individual optimized panels without the risk of putting electronics on your hot roof. The chimney shading could be a concern though - just depends on how much. A good installer should have a Solmetric Suneye tool (or equivalent) to quantify the shading. Try to get a quote on a SolarWorld / SMA-TL combination. Should be better than the two you have. If you ever have utility outages, you will love the SMA secure power outlet.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• silversaver
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2013

I have single MPPT older SMA TL-US. If the shading in early or later day, then no worry about it unless you like Solaredge.

BTW, chimney shade start 6pm during Spring/Summer.

Comment

• lunchat8
          • May 2015

Thank you for the helpful info!

Comment

• kny
            • Jul 2015

What did you end up doing? Are you happy? How is your production? I am in virtual identical situation. Multiple roof planes with chimney / vent producing moving shade elements throughout the day across some panels.

Sunpower + SMA on multiple strings?
            or
            CanadianSolar + multi-inverters.

Please see:
            If you are a homeowner who is about to put a solar panel system on your home or you are a newbie to the solar market, get started here! A non-technical forum to help you understand the in's and out's of solar.

Comment

• lunchat8
              • May 2015

update

I ended up deciding in favor of the SunPower panels with SMA inverter. There will be 3 distinct clusters of panels (9, 3, and 4) arranged on 3 sections of roof sloping in 2 directions in such a way as to wholly avoid the sweeping chimney shading (minor as it might actually be) with each cluster on its own string feeding into the inverter. My installer, Capital City Solar of Roseville (Sacramento), has been encouragingly thorough and responsive up to this point, with installation actually scheduled to begin tomorrow. Originally set for mid-September, an opening in their schedule allowed them to move it up by 6 weeks which is fine by me. Once it's in and fully operational I will post another update, probably after the installer's "final orientation visit" which is 6 weeks following installation.

Comment

Working...