Which is better? A "low frequency"& "high frequency" inverter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunny Solar
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2012

Sunking there was no mention of either MSW or TSW.. ..And why would there be ?? NO industrial or quality low frequency battery inverter would be a crap MSW inverter. And by design could never be.

There is nothing wrong with pasting an others post on your own in a different colour...It is adequate to show its from another post... There is no law that says its mandatory to use quotes...OK Mr Nuclear Waist ??

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
      Sunking there was no mention of either MSW or TSW.. ..And why would there be ?? NO industrial or quality low frequency battery inverter would be a crap MSW inverter. And by design could never be.
      You are full of crap. Just about every box store UPS uses a Square Wave 60 Hz Inverter ran through 1:10 transformer.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
        There is nothing wrong with pasting an others post on your own in a different colour...It is adequate to show its from another post... There is no law that says its mandatory to use quotes..
        It is because you do not know how. You have not figured out the easy way or how to push a button. Do you want me to show you a post from 5 years where you admitted it when you were JohnP. It caused you so much embarrassment you had to change your username. Don't deny it, I still have the emails. So I suggest you zip your lip.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• xiaoxiaovei
          • Aug 2016

well it depends on your requirement. as usually 50HZ 60HZ is low frequency. this kind of inverter usually used in the house or home. 400HZ is usually high frequency. this is usually used in industry. for example ,Veichi 50HZ 60HZ inverter islow frequency. I hope this can help you

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Originally posted by xiaoxiaovei
            well it depends on your requirement. as usually 50HZ 60HZ is low frequency. this kind of inverter usually used in the house or home. 400HZ is usually high frequency. this is usually used in industry. for example ,Veichi 50HZ 60HZ inverter islow frequency. I hope this can help you
            I think the OP is asking about household 50/60Hz inverters, of which consist of LF transformer based, or HF non-transformer inverters, not aircraft 400hz inverters.

LF inverters have a heavy, expensive transformer in them which provides electrical isolation. HF inverters are cheaper, lighter and do not provide isolation.
            That's all I remember off the top of my head
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• solarix
              Super Moderator
              • Apr 2015

Good question. Low and High frequency inverter types. (And I'm talking about the internal circuit topology - not the output freq.)

High Freq: This is the direction almost all electronic circuitry is going because it is less expensive, lighter, and more versatile. You want your inverter to work on 3-phase? no problem, just reconfigure the software parameters. However, the circuitry is way more complex and there are only a few companies in the world with enough experience to design a product and have it be long term reliable right out of the gate. Emphase and Solaredge both blew it on their first generation products, and the jury is still out on their recent stuff. Outback engineers were originally the pioneers at Trace so have learned the hard way. And I think you all know I'm a SMA fan because of their great track record. And did we ever get a resolution on that Growatt problem where 5 inverters were all acting weird? Th HF type also are typically electrically isolated so that the array ground is separate from the DC ground which has advantages when installing the inverter.

Low Freq: This is the old school way of doing the AC conversion at the output frequency and is relatively simple, but not quite as efficient, and uses heavy/expensive transformers. They are not without their failure modes of course, but are inherently less susceptible to transient disturbances, spikes, surges, etc. The big, low speed transformer is like a big flywheel - you're not going to push it off course very easily. I'm glad I'm not lifting them up onto walls anymore....
              Last edited by solarix; 08-18-2016, 11:19 AM.
              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

Have been muscling around some Trace/Xantrex SW inverters lately. They are freakin' beasts.
                BTW somebody just sold one of the never taken out of the box Trace/ Xantrex SW 4024's on ebay for $3246.00
                Last edited by littleharbor; 08-18-2016, 11:45 AM.
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• solarix
                  solarix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've got several dead Xantrex SW's. Are they worth anything?

• littleharbor
                  littleharbor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are a few repair facilities in So Cal. that seem to specialize in fixing these old workhorses. I'm sure they have some value although shipping can eat into any value you might get out of them.
              • jflorey2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Fordtech
                I am looking at a bunch of different inverters and want to knows the pros and cons and differences of a "low frequency"& "high frequency" inverter. Thanks
                That's an ambiguous term.

You might be referring to grid tie inverters, in which case your question is really transformer vs transformerless. They are both "high frequency" in reality, but one removes the isolation element (transformer) which makes them lighter and (sometimes) cheaper.

You might be referring to off-grid inverters, in which case you may be referring to sine wave vs. "pseudo sine wave" (i.e. square wave) inverters. There was also a hybrid of the two made by Trace years ago (the SW series.) In most cases you want sine wave.

You might be referring to 50hz vs 60hz. In that case get the frequency your loads require.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

My grid tie inverters are high frequency and isolated. Likely all grid tie inverters these days are isolated, the high frequency still have
                  inductive switching elements that provide isolation. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...