X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coddog
    • May 2015

Looking to install in north Orange County

Hello,

First I'd like to say thanks to everyone that has contributed this forum. I have been reading several threads over the last week or two and have learned a tremendous amount about solar. I was saved from paying around $5 a watt or worse.

I "think" I have settled on installing solar on just the south facing portion of my house. Unfortunately space is limited to 16 panels in total without shade. I believe the system will be just large enough for my needs, 7500ish kWh a year. If I mount more than 16 panels I end up using a west facing roof that will have some shade issues.

For you experienced solar people out there, am I better off mounting more panels facing west or just getting higher capacity panels for the south roof. I have received two quotes at this point. One tells me to use 16 300w panels mated to enphase m250s on the south roof. The other insists it would be better to mount 18-20 260w panels mated to a solar edge system on the south and west roofs. I'm not sure if 300w panels will pair well with enphase or not. Both installers have different opinions unfortunately, making it difficult to decide which way to go.

I am leaning toward solar world panels at this point but am open to any suggestion that would work. If anyone knows of or recommends an installer I would like to get at least one more quote.
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Hi Coddog and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

The south /west thing really would depend on the time of the day when you use power. If you are in a situation where everyone is out at work or school during the day, doing a split roof install would make a lot of sense as you will still be making power you use later into the afternoon than if everything was facing south. We do lots of split installs here in OZ, probably more than just all north these days. It may help to check out the installers you are talking to on our site sponsors www.solarreviews.com cheers and good luck with it

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Coddog
      Hello,

First I'd like to say thanks to everyone that has contributed this forum. I have been reading several threads over the last week or two and have learned a tremendous amount about solar. I was saved from paying around $5 a watt or worse.

I "think" I have settled on installing solar on just the south facing portion of my house. Unfortunately space is limited to 16 panels in total without shade. I believe the system will be just large enough for my needs, 7500ish kWh a year. If I mount more than 16 panels I end up using a west facing roof that will have some shade issues.

For you experienced solar people out there, am I better off mounting more panels facing west or just getting higher capacity panels for the south roof. I have received two quotes at this point. One tells me to use 16 300w panels mated to enphase m250s on the south roof. The other insists it would be better to mount 18-20 260w panels mated to a solar edge system on the south and west roofs. I'm not sure if 300w panels will pair well with enphase or not. Both installers have different opinions unfortunately, making it difficult to decide which way to go.

I am leaning toward solar world panels at this point but am open to any suggestion that would work. If anyone knows of or recommends an installer I would like to get at least one more quote.
      If you have no shade on the west as well as south, why the micros ? String inverter(s) will cost less and not clip if properly designed.

What's your annual load ? Staying with tiered rates ? Any conservation measures undertaken ? Lots of considerations. At least you're not in Sunpower mode.

Comment

• Coddog
        • May 2015

Thanks for pointing out the solar installers on the site, I missed that while trying to get "educated" on solar itself.

I don't have any time of use charges related to my electric. They just bill for overall use, cost is the same no matter when I use it. Basically just trying to make the most kWh per dollar in the limited space I have. Not sure if fewer high capacity south facing panels will beat out more lower rated panels facing south and west with some shade.

Comment

• Coddog
          • May 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          If you have no shade on the west as well as south, why the micros ? String inverter(s) will cost less and not clip if properly designed.

What's your annual load ? Staying with tiered rates ? Any conservation measures undertaken ? Lots of considerations. At least you're not in Sunpower mode.
          - I'm using around 10kwh annually. Hoping to cut as much is cost effective. Guessing 7500kwh at this point.

-Unfortunately I do have shade issues on the west facing roof but none on the south.

-No tiered rates (thankfully).

- I looked at sunpower prices and realized quickly that they wouldn't be cost effective for me.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

- I'm using around 10kwh annually. Hoping to cut as much is cost effective. Guessing 7500kwh at this point.

-Unfortunately I do have shade issues on the west facing roof but none on the south.

-No tiered rates (thankfully).

- I looked at sunpower prices and realized quickly that they wouldn't be cost effective for me.
            Who is your power provider ? If you are in Orange Co. CA, you're on tiered rates or Time of Use rates unless there's something I'm not aware of.

at 7,500 kWh/yr., a pretty good offset , about 4.8 kW will get you that much/yr.. You'll be left with something like a $500/yr. bill. on tiered rates. Maybe less on T.O.U. depending on use pattern.

FWIW, 300 Watt LG's w/ a string inverter might be something to look at.

Comment

• Coddog
              • May 2015

Who is your power provider ? If you are in Orange Co. CA, you're on tiered rates or Time of Use rates unless there's something I'm not aware of.

at 7,500 kWh/yr., a pretty good offset , about 4.8 kW will get you that much/yr.. You'll be left with something like a $500/yr. bill. on tiered rates. Maybe less on T.O.U. depending on use pattern.

FWIW, 300 Watt LG's w/ a string inverter might be something to look at.
              Thanks J.P.M,

Sorry about that, I'm not on T.O.U but do have a two tiered rate plan. I have Anaheim utilities for my service. Staying out of the second tier would be my goal. I just wanted to do it cost effectively.

I will look into the LG's and a string inverter. Trying find panels that have a high out and are cost effective does not seem to be a mutual trait of solar panels.

Comment

• OftheSeven
                • Jan 2015

I also have limited south facing real estate so opted to do both (south and west). I have 11 south facing and 6 west facing. 4.59kW system.

Here's my project thread: http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...-Orange-County

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Thanks J.P.M,

Sorry about that, I'm not on T.O.U but do have a two tiered rate plan. I have Anaheim utilities for my service. Staying out of the second tier would be my goal. I just wanted to do it cost effectively.

I will look into the LG's and a string inverter. Trying find panels that have high out and are cost effective does not seem to be a mutual trait of solar panel.
                  Well, solar is almost never as cost effective as reducing your use coupled with conservation.

Cost effective and high output may be mutually possible if you get off the Sunpower hype of "highest efficiency", which mostly pertains to area effectiveness, and instead think of high output in terms of most kWh produced per year for each dollar spent on a PV system. In that regard, Sunpower is near the bottom of the heap.

I'm having a hard time finding your recent rates. I found some that appear to be from 2010, but nothing more recent. Any help/info ?

Comment

• Coddog
                    • May 2015

Well, solar is almost never as cost effective as reducing your use coupled with conservation.

Cost effective and high output may be mutually possible if you get off the Sunpower hype of "highest efficiency", which mostly pertains to area effectiveness, and instead think of high output in terms of most kWh produced per year for each dollar spent on a PV system. In that regard, Sunpower is near the bottom of the heap.

I'm having a hard time finding your recent rates. I found some that appear to be from 2010, but nothing more recent. Any help/info ?
                    I'm definitely not buying into the "Sunpower hype" of high efficiency panels. Just trying to find a good middle ground for cost vs watt on my south facing roof. My understanding is I will loose 20/30% production by going to the west roof with shade, resulting in the need for additional panels which brings the price to watt back up. Limited room area without shade is my biggest hurdle.

Current rates are .12 and .195 for the two tiers.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

I'm definitely not buying into the "Sunpower hype" of high efficiency panels. Just trying to find a good middle ground for cost vs watt on my south facing roof. My understanding is I will loose 20/30% production by going to the west roof with shade, resulting in the need for additional panels which brings the price to watt back up. Limited room area without shade is my biggest hurdle.

Current rates are .12 and .195 for the two tiers.
                      I learned something about CA elec. rates - there are some in CA that actually are not draconian - like yours.

With those rates, I'd not be in a big hurry to replace the lower tier (which looks like about ~ 5,000 kWh/yr. in size), unless you know things will change soon in a big way.

At your usage of 10,000 kWh/yr usage, I might think about a small(er) LG system, say, 3 to 3.5kW, maybe a , that will yield about 4,500-5,500 kWh/yr. and use lower wattage panels, say 260-280 W on the south roof with a string inverter to keep the cost down.

Sharp negotiating might get you down to $12-12.5K before fed. tax credit and POCO rebates which look generous at this time - I thought I saw $1.25/W from Anaheim Elec. ?

Your rates are about half of what SCE and SDG & E cust. are paying.

Comment

• Alisobob
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2014

Find where most your power is going... conservation or replacing the power guzzling offender may be all you need.

At those rates.... ROI with solar is going to be a loooooooooooooooooong time.

Comment

• Coddog
                          • May 2015

I learned something about CA elec. rates - there are some in CA that actually are not draconian - like yours.

With those rates, I'd not be in a big hurry to replace the lower tier (which looks like about ~ 5,000 kWh/yr. in size), unless you know things will change soon in a big way.

At your usage of 10,000 kWh/yr usage, I might think about a small(er) LG system, say, 3 to 3.5kW, maybe a , that will yield about 4,500-5,500 kWh/yr. and use lower wattage panels, say 260-280 W on the south roof with a string inverter to keep the cost down.

Sharp negotiating might get you down to $12-12.5K before fed. tax credit and POCO rebates which look generous at this time - I thought I saw $1.25/W from Anaheim Elec. ?

Your rates are about half of what SCE and SDG & E cust. are paying.
                          Thanks J.P.M and others,

My intent was to just cover my second tier only as I cant see the justification at this point to also cover the lower tier. When I started my search into solar I was quoted 25K for a system. Thanks to this forum Im now down to 16K for a system. At 12-12.5K I think I would be in good shape to do the system even at my rates. Going to get a few more estimates before commiting.

Yes you saw the rebates correctly $1.25/W so that helps alot.

Aliso Bob, I could cut some usage but with a stay at home wife, kids and an EV vehicle to charge at night I will always use a fair amount each year. Oh, that and we love the AC, cant help it.

Comment

• Alisobob
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

....we love the AC, cant help it.
                            Ditto!!

Comment

Working...