X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

SDG&E TOU Tariffs

I just bit on a killer lease deal for a Chevy Spark EV (good through tomorrow, while supplies last), and now I need to figure out what tariff will work best for me. With the additional consumption from the EV, I do not expect my system to achieve 100% offset, so any multiplier between generated value and consumption cost can help stretch the production I do get.

SDG&E has a bunch of plans, some just launched this year:

DR-SES
    EV-TOU (applies to a separate meter for EV only)
    EV-TOU-2
    TOU-DR
    TOU-DR-P

The TOU-DR's are new, and have a baseline credit similar to the TOU-D-A plan discussed in InsaneOctane's SCE thread. Considering how well that plan works for Solar+EV in SCE land, I want to make sure I look closely at them here too. The -P plan has an interesting feature: from 11-6 on reduce your use days, typically called in the summer or fall on the very hot days, up to 18 times per year, energy is an additional $1.16 / kWh, on top of the summertime peak rate of $0.41 / kWh.

Assuming I am a net generator on those days, (a fairly safe assumption since I don't have A/C, and I'm exporting around 3.8 kWh / kW daily during those hours right now), it seems like the credit earned on those days will pay for a *lot* of night time charging at either $0.10 / kWh, $0.13 / kWh, or $0.32 / kWh, depending on how the "baseline credit" works.

It is a long shot, but before I dive deeply into insaneoctane's spreadsheet to make it work for these plans, has anyone done any analysis already that they would like to share? insaneoctane, if you are reading this... interested in another collaboration?
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sensij
    I just bit on a killer lease deal for a Chevy Spark EV (good through tomorrow, while supplies last), and now I need to figure out what tariff will work best for me. With the additional consumption from the EV, I do not expect my system to achieve 100% offset, so any multiplier between generated value and consumption cost can help stretch the production I do get.

SDG&E has a bunch of plans, some just launched this year:

DR-SES
    EV-TOU (applies to a separate meter for EV only)
    EV-TOU-2
    TOU-DR
    TOU-DR-P

The TOU-DR's are new, and have a baseline credit similar to the TOU-D-A plan discussed in InsaneOctane's SCE thread. Considering how well that plan works for Solar+EV in SCE land, I want to make sure I look closely at them here too. The -P plan has an interesting feature: from 11-6 on reduce your use days, typically called in the summer or fall on the very hot days, up to 18 times per year, energy is an additional $1.16 / kWh, on top of the summertime peak rate of $0.41 / kWh.

Assuming I am a net generator on those days, (a fairly safe assumption since I don't have A/C, and I'm exporting around 3.8 kWh / kW daily during those hours right now), it seems like the credit earned on those days will pay for a *lot* of night time charging at either $0.10 / kWh, $0.13 / kWh, or $0.32 / kWh, depending on how the "baseline credit" works.

It is a long shot, but before I dive deeply into insaneoctane's spreadsheet to make it work for these plans, has anyone done any analysis already that they would like to share? insaneoctane, if you are reading this... interested in another collaboration?
    How much for the Spark ?

Comment

• silversaver
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2013

advertise $139/month $0 down.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

I did much better than the advertised deal, after a week of shopping. 2LT trim w/ DC Fast Charger, true $0 at signing, $134.55 / mo for 36 mo, 15k mi annually. I will also get $2500 rebate back from the state, and $500 discount on a level 2 charger, getting me a 30 A charger for ~$110, or a 16 A charger for free. This car can only charge at 3.3 kW (about 14 A), but the higher power should be useful on EV's in the future, so I'll probably go that way.

The dealership will honor the deal through end of the month tomorrow, until their inventory is gone. Less mileage would probably be $15-$30 / mo cheaper. I can PM the sales person's name and number, for anyone interested.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

I actually saw an EV here yesterday - I suppose I have missed one or two others in the past.

Without the government throwing money at them to pacify greens there is no market.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by russ
            Without the government throwing money at them to pacify greens there is no market.
            That may be true. In the world I live in, the government *is* throwing money at it, and I am not such a purist that I won't position myself to receive some of it.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

That may be true. In the world I live in, the government *is* throwing money at it, and I am not such a purist that I won't position myself to receive some if it.
              Even Sunking grabbed on to a golf cart when the opportunity came by. No reason not to take the opportunity - you will get to help pay for others anyway.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

My Mercedes B Class deal is $229 per month tax + maintance included. 36 months 12k miles per year. $0 down, about $800 driver off (1st month + license). Yes, still can apply state clean vehicle rebate of $2500 which received. $2500/36 months = $69.44 saving per month. For about $160 per months included tacx + service, it is a no brainer. MSRP $47k.

B class internal charging speed is 10kWh, my charger can only feed at 240v X32A @ 7.6kWh

Comment

• gvl
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Mar 2015

Congrats! Sounds like a good deal, I like Spark EV but it is a bit small for my needs. Good SAE Combo plug QC infrastructure is growing thanks to NRG. Do they give you a free 2 year charging card too?

Comment

• gvl
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by silversaver
                    My Mercedes B Class deal is $229 per month tax + maintance included. 36 months 12k miles per year. $0 down, about $800 driver off (1st month + license). Yes, still can apply state clean vehicle rebate of $2500 which received. 2500/36 months = $69.44 saving per month. For about $160 per months included tacx + service, it is a no brainer. MSRP $47k.
                    Sounds like you got yourself a killer deal. Too bad the B-Class doesn't support DCQC, for me it is a deal breaker.

Comment

• silversaver
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by gvl
                      Sounds like you got yourself a killer deal. Too bad the B-Class doesn't support DCQC, for me it is a deal breaker.
                      It should not be a real problem because non of the resident home can do that yet. I'm not plan on driving around and find a DC charger and wait 1 to 2 hours and drive home. what are the chance you find a quick dc charger?

with 10kWh charging speed, 3 hours charging time is not too bad. all you need is get a true 40A charger.

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by gvl
                        Congrats! Sounds like a good deal, I like Spark EV but it is a bit small for my needs. Good SAE Combo plug QC infrastructure is growing thanks to NRG. Do they give you a free 2 year charging card too?
                        No free charging for the Spark. There are several of the NRG SAE combo chargers around town, but they aren't cheap. More of an emergency situation than an everyday plan. Good news is that it is advertised as 20 min to 80% charge, so you can get 65 mi of range pretty quick. Bad news is that with the more common 240 V level 2, it is 7 hours to charge... not especially helpful unless it is set up like at sea world and the car is just going to sit anyway.

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by silversaver
                          My Mercedes B Class deal is $229 per month tax + maintance included. 36 months 12k miles per year. $0 down, about $800 driver off (1st month + license). Yes, still can apply state clean vehicle rebate of $2500 which received. $2500/36 months = $69.44 saving per month. For about $160 per months included tacx + service, it is a no brainer. MSRP $47k.

B class internal charging speed is 10kWh, my charger can only feed at 240v X32A @ 7.6kWh
                          Yeah, that price is about double the Spark's for same miles, which is consistent with their sell price. You get a lot more car, which is great if you need it.

Comment

• gvl
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Mar 2015

No free charging for the Spark. There are several of the NRG SAE combo chargers around town, but they aren't cheap. More of an emergency situation than an everyday plan. Good news is that it is advertised as 20 min to 80% charge, so you can get 65 mi of range pretty quick. Bad news is that with the more common 240 V level 2, it is 7 hours to charge... not especially helpful unless it is set up like at sea world and the car is just going to sit anyway.
                            NRG subscription plan isn't too bad if you charge more than 3 times a month. As for L2 taking long time, you'll find that unlike filing the tank at a gas station you only need enough charge to get too the next charging station which is typically your home, so you'll rarely need to spend 7 hours plugged in at a public location, not to mention you don't typically start charging from empty.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

I did much better than the advertised deal, after a week of shopping. 2LT trim w/ DC Fast Charger, true $0 at signing, $134.55 / mo for 36 mo, 15k mi annually. I will also get $2500 rebate back from the state, and $500 discount on a level 2 charger, getting me a 30 A charger for ~$110, or a 16 A charger for free. This car can only charge at 3.3 kW (about 14 A), but the higher power should be useful on EV's in the future, so I'll probably go that way.

The dealership will honor the deal through end of the month tomorrow, until their inventory is gone. Less mileage would probably be $15-$30 / mo cheaper. I can PM the sales person's name and number, for anyone interested.
                              Thank you.

Comment

Working...