Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

A couple of points. First, you may not need a huge system if all you're interested in is avoiding paying for peak electricity. For example, my system overall produces about 2/3 of what I use but it offsets all of my peak usage. It works out for me and we have someone in the house all day so it's not like we shut the AC off when we go to work. Folks can argue about leasing from SC but I don't think there's much argument about buying from them: they aren't that competitive for outright purchase IMHO. You could probably go with SunPower for less than SC is quoting you.

As to your specific questions, 1,2,4, and 7 should all be answered as part of the quote. I don't really understand #5 and if leasing is out for you, then #6 is irrelevant. There are plenty of good quality panels and as J.P.M. says, they will all initially produce pretty much the same energy for their nameplate wattage. Some like SunPower claim they degrade less than everyone else but you'll pay for that advantage. SunPower also has the most "efficient" panels but that is of no consequence unless you're really strapped for space and in that event you might be better off to cut your usage. YMMV.

Now there are options with respect to inverter. Here in Phoenix, unless you have shade issues between ~9AM and 4PM, you will be better off with a string inverter. They're a bit cheaper and you don't have numerous inverter components subjected to a rooftop oven day in and day out like you would with the micros. If you do have shade issues, then Solar Edge optimizers may be better as they have less in the way of electronics on the roof. I suppose the drawbacks to the string inverter is less information on the performance of individual panels and they will theoretically not last as long as the micros. One brand of string inverter, SMA, offers an available power outlet that can provide limited 120V power when the grid is down and the sun is shining. If you're interested in that make sure to get it quoted.

Comment

Working...