X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stoppy
    • Mar 2015

Charger controller rating vs inverter rating

Hello guys!!

Actually i'm doing a design for a PV system and I have confusion about the charger and the inverter ratings

My system is ( PV > Charger controller > Battery bank > Inverter > Load )

Now, Should the voltage rating of the charger and the inverter be the same?

For example the charger controller rating I'm using is 48V
    and the Inverter rating range is 220-470 V

I have 60 Batteries, the charging voltage is 48V (4 in series) **( I'm using 3 charger controllers for capacity issues)

the Discharging voltage is 360V (30 in series x 12V = 360V) means 2 batteries string each 30 batteries

Is that correct or I need to change the rating of one of them?

Thanks in advance
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Stoppy
    Hello guys!!

Actually i'm doing a design for a PV system and I have confusion about the charger and the inverter ratings

My system is ( PV > Charger controller > Battery bank > Inverter > Load )

Now, Should the voltage rating of the charger and the inverter be the same?

For example the charger controller rating I'm using is 48V
    and the Inverter rating range is 220-470 V

I have 60 Batteries, the charging voltage is 48V (4 in series) **( I'm using 3 charger controllers for capacity issues)

the Discharging voltage is 360V (30 in series x 12V = 360V) means 2 batteries string each 30 batteries

Is that correct or I need to change the rating of one of them?

Thanks in advance
    You need to stop everything you are doing because you have no idea what you are doing. Battery voltage is 48 volts, not 360. 60 batteries is an abortion.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Stoppy
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
      You need to stop everything you are doing because you have no idea what you are doing. Battery voltage is 48 volts, not 360. 60 batteries is an abortion.
      Thanks man for ur reply. I know that I don't have idea about what i'm doing because its my first design and that's why i'm here.

Now, I need help. Do u mean that my system voltage is 48V and I need to use the same number of chargers for inverter; 3 chargers and 3 inverters??

And why there is inverters of such ratings (360V)? is it only for on-grid system??

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Thanks man for ur reply. I know that I don't have idea about what i'm doing because its my first design and that's why i'm here.

Now, I need help. Do u mean that my system voltage is 48V and I need to use the same number of chargers for inverter; 3 chargers and 3 inverters??

And why there is inverters of such ratings (360V)? is it only for on-grid system??
        First off what is your estimated daily watt hour load?

Once we have that then we can help you design your system.

What Sunking is saying is that battery systems need to be simple and except for extreme circumstances all wired in series. So you can build a 48volt battery system using 4 x 12volt, 8 x 6volt, 12 x 4volt or 24 x 2volt.

While it can be done most battery systems require a single or pair of matched charge controllers. Going to 3 CC can bring on big issues unless it is professionally designed.

Inverters will change battery voltage to the voltage of your loads. Most inverters convert to 120volts or 240volts because that is what most electrical loads require. While there are many more 12volt to 120volt inverters these will not work if your battery system is at 48volts.

You can use multiple inverters as long as they all have the same input voltage as your battery bank but you should use inverters with different input voltage. This will cause your batteries to discharge unbalance. Either use all of the batteries to power the inverter or none.

The higher input voltage inverters are Grid Tie type. They allow you to connect a larger number of pv panels that are wired in series. The maximum input of the inverter needs to be more than adding up the Voc of each panel wired in series.

Comment

• Sunny Solar
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2012

Im totally with Sunking on this one . GIVE UP NOW..SAVE YOUR LIFE AND THE LIVES OF OTHERS... 60 BATTERIES? Im going to have wild guess 12v? and about 20ahr ?? or about of a small car starter battery ??

Comment

• Stoppy
            • Mar 2015

Okay After rechecking the load now I have 48 batteries, the total energy per day is 65kWh, about 90% of it will be consumed at night that's why I need that number of batteries. Also,i'm adding around 20% extra storage to overcome and cloudy day.

I divided the system into 2 typical arrangements as following:

2 PV arrays >>>> Charger controller (550VDC to 48 VDC) >>>> 24 Batteries (48V) >>>> Inverter (48VDC to 230VAC) >> Main Distribution Board

Copy of Schematicwssddd.JPG

Comment

• Jako Muller
              • Mar 2015

Wow

Comment

• thastinger
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2012

these are 8V batteries?
                1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2012

The schematic shows ALL the batteries in parallel. ???
                  Trying to ever balance 24 batteries in series parallel will be the most fun you will have for a very long time to come. Would have been far easier to have used 12 batteries with double the capacity..

Comment

• Stoppy
                    • Mar 2015

Yes ur right, there is a draughting mistake, I'll revise it.

For the balancing issue, I'm thinking about diagonal connection for batteries to better performance. Does it help?

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Okay After rechecking the load now I have 48 batteries, the total energy per day is 65kWh, about 90% of it will be consumed at night that's why I need that number of batteries. .....
                      wow. This is huge beyond imagination. What exactly are your loads ? They HAVE to be reduced, or you will have your bank account reduced every 5 years buying new batteries. L

Let us take a crack at reducing your loads, coming up with ways to conserve, every watt conserved is worth many saved harvesting and storing.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

I want to know where he is going to get those imaginary 600 Voc 100 Amp Charge Controllers at?

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by thastinger
                          these are 8V batteries?
                          They must be to get 6 wired in series to equal 48volts. (or they could be 12volt batteries with 4 in series and 6 sets in parallel. )

Of course the entire design is way out in left field. Hope this guy has a few $100k lying around to build that system.

Comment

• Stoppy
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
                            I want to know where he is going to get those imaginary 600 Voc 100 Amp Charge Controllers at?

check this: http://solar.schneider-electric.com/...t-mppt-80-600/

Comment

• Stoppy
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
                              wow. This is huge beyond imagination. What exactly are your loads ? They HAVE to be reduced, or you will have your bank account reduced every 5 years buying new batteries. L

Let us take a crack at reducing your loads, coming up with ways to conserve, every watt conserved is worth many saved harvesting and storing.
                              Man it is not a realistic project. it's just a university project

However, it's not an imaginary load. This load is supposed to be the luminaires load, located in the common areas of a Ground+8flr building

Comment

Working...