Morningstar, Outback, Midnite, which to choose.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimindenver
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

Morningstar, Outback, Midnite, which to choose.

It's time to upgrade the trailers system. I have three new 250w panels and need to choose a controller. The little Eco-worthy 20a controllers have done what they are suppose to but are neither big enough or have the features I want.

All three listed in the title are around the same price range.

The Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 is the smallest and least expensive until you ad a display.

The Outback falls between the display and no display price of the Morningstar.

The misnite Classic is overkill at 96a but comes with the Wizbang.

All three respectable, good reps, etc. Whats the best bang for the buck here?
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Originally posted by jimindenver
    It's time to upgrade the trailers system. I have three new 250w panels and need to choose a controller. The little Eco-worthy 20a controllers have done what they are suppose to but are neither big enough or have the features I want.

All three listed in the title are around the same price range.

The Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 is the smallest and least expensive until you ad a display.

The Outback falls between the display and no display price of the Morningstar.

The misnite Classic is overkill at 96a but comes with the Wizbang.

All three respectable, good reps, etc. Whats the best bang for the buck here?
    Howdy Jim,

I dont have any direct experience with any of them, but as you say they all seem to have decent street cred. Hopefully some of the experienced guys chime in with what they think. You did say something about features so I suppose get the one that has everything you want, cheers

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

For your trailer, go with the Morningstar, and you only need the 45 amp model.

The reason is because Midnite Solar is an improved Outback controller. Midnite Solar are the engineers that left Outback to start a new improved company. However both units use a fan to keep them cool which is fine in a controller environment. A trailer is not a controlled environment and subject to a lot of heat, shock, and vibration.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• jimindenver
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2014

Thank you both.

The major features the little controllers are missing is a temp and voltage sense lines. The trailer even just setting in the storage lot sees temperatures between -20F and 105F.

I didn't realize the controllers were so close to each other. I agree about the fan and also the the TS-MPPT-45 would likely be enough. It may have to do some clipping mid day if I'm running a large load, but only 5 or 6 amps at that. My 230w poly hit 15a flat at 10,000 ft at times.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Thank you both.

The major features the little controllers are missing is a temp and voltage sense lines. The trailer even just setting in the storage lot sees temperatures between -20F and 105F.

I didn't realize the controllers were so close to each other. I agree about the fan and also the the TS-MPPT-45 would likely be enough. It may have to do some clipping mid day if I'm running a large load, but only 5 or 6 amps at that. My 230w poly hit 15a flat at 10,000 ft at times.
          Jim unless you are using AGM batteries Temperature Compensation is not of much value, even if you are still does not do a lot on solar because solar is such a soft source there is no real chance of thermal runaway or over charging. So don't let that scare you off, it's no big deal

As for voltage sensor not sure what you may be referring to as the charge output is the voltage monitor port.

No chance of clipping. As far as that goes you can use the Morningstar TS 30 Amp MPPT controller and save a few more coins. At 12 volts is rated for 400 watt panel input. A 230 watt panel is no problem.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• paulcheung
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

Dereck, He got three of those 230watt panels.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by paulcheung
              Dereck, He got three of those 230watt panels.
              Crap my bad I did not see three. Doh!

Jim if these are mounted on top of trailer pointing straight up, clipping with a 45 amp model will not be much of a concern. Only time it might happen is in summer months of June/July around noon. Otherwise they are never pointed directly into the Sun.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• jimindenver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2014

Actually it's three 250w poly. The 230w is one of the panels I have used as well as a pair of 245w monos. The 10,000 ft I camp at gives the panels quite the little boost and the 230w ran 14-15a flat on a nice sunny mid day. I also deal with higher than usual Voc, especially on the cold days.

The fan is a good point. Solar is suppose to be the silent solution and up there you hear everything.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Actually it's three 250w poly. The 230w is one of the panels I have used as well as a pair of 245w monos. The 10,000 ft I camp at gives the panels quite the little boost and the 230w ran 14-15a flat on a nice sunny mid day. I also deal with higher than usual Voc, especially on the cold days.

The fan is a good point. Solar is suppose to be the silent solution and up there you hear everything.
                  OK Jim 750 watts is really asking for trouble on a 45 amp controller, I suggest the 60 amp model. Cost more but leaves you some expansion capability. Another good feature of Morningstar is they are rated for Marine and Tropical use witch tells you they circuit boards and components are not affected by salt air, high humidity, and shock/vibration. They are designed with out doors in mind.

Hey do you play golf? I will be in your area for July 4th to 11th in COS. Playing in a tournament at USAF Eisenhower course that Saturday, bu twil play every day while there. Plan to hit Castle Rock just south of Denver.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• jimindenver
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2014

I have to agree and I don't really agree with over paneling or pushing controllers to their limits all of the time. So the TS-MPPT-60 it is then.

Now on to battery selection. Limited space and sticking to the no more than three connection rule is going to get expensive fast. Had I been smart I would done a pair of 6v's on the tongue for the trailer systems and then a 24v bank for the inverter. I'd also rather create a vented compartment than buy AGM's BUT paying for the heart attack Honey will have when I say I'm cutting a hole in the wall of the trailer will be kind of pricy too. lol

Golf? I worked on a course for a summer and never swung a club. I have no depth perception due to a bad left eye so me and hitting tiny things is a no go. I do have a special camera that is dead silent but have never tried shooting a tournament before. Would you be coming up to Castle rock for the outlets? Hopefully you will have some time for the mountains, maybe make a run up Pikes peak.

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Batteries ? 6V, 24V What's your plan?
                      250w , 250W & 230W Better list those specs for us, for review, or you risk choking your 250W panels down to 230W. If you are only going to charge 12V , you may need a 3 channel combiner box (Midnight has good ones with breakers). If up to 24V, you may be able to wire 2 in series.

First off, I'd suggest the TS MPPT 60. Hook it to your laptop via a router, and you have your monitor. the 60a is the only one they have with the web server. But it's going to generate some heat, so you can't just cram it into some cavity, it has to have a fair amount of air for cooling.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jimindenver
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2014

The panels are three Navajo Universal 250 watt, 37.7 Voc, 8.37 Isc, 31.26 Vmp, 8.02 Imp. The 230w poly along with a pair of 245w mono's are what I have been using to this point. I went to three matching panels simply for the ability to use them all on a single controller. Each used as a portable has had it's own 20a MPPT controller until now and while effective, it's a pain. While it is nice to point those big panels at the rising sun and be in float before some mounted system are awake, it also means no charging under way or in storage.

batteries as I said are still being decided on. A lot of issues have to be considered as to where and how they are connected. They have to be balanced as well as their weight in the trailer. Of the usable compartments, one adds tongue weight, another tail weight and the storage above the axles is all on one side. Luckily having existing system allows me the time to do this right. (slow but proper)

I'll check into the router route with the TS-MPPT-60. Thank you

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

OK Jim lets work on the batteries. Best I can do for you is give you a size range for AGM and FLA based on your panel wattage of 750 watts. You have to figure out what works.

For AGM you can go as low as 12 volts @ 250 AH or 24 volts @125 AH. You can go as high as 12 volts @ 750 AH or 24 volts @ 325 AH.

For FLA you can go as low as 12 volts @ 400 AH or 24 volts @ 200 AH. You can go as high as 12 volts @ 750 AH or 24 volts @ 325 AH same as AGM

So figure how much crap you can afford to stuff in your box.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

You may want to be an " early adopter" and try one of the new LFP battery banks. Saves a lot of weight, but has other issues, like cost.
                            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jimindenver
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2014

Oh man would I love that. I've read up on them a bit but really, those are out of my budget. It would also be dreaming to put a pair of Lifeline 8-Ds under the sofa for the inverter and a pair of heavy duty 6v's on the tongue for trailer functions. Now it's getting complicated too.

The easiest would be three group 29 or 31 on the tongue. They would support the limited short term, high power inverter loads like the microwave or support the surge from the 5000 BTU window shaker. I ran it for four hours today using two of the panels tracking. They didn't quite cover the load but it took four hours to get the voltage under load down below 12v.

Comment

Working...