X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Living Large
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian
    Had to use roughly 7 hours of HELCO the other night because we have to keep the guests happy

I guess we can"t really say we are off-grid

Can someone tell me how to change my signature to Off-Generator with On-Grid Back-up
    No, you can't say you are off-grid yet. Turning to 7 hours of POCO when the batteries are low is a privilege I'd pay $20,000 up front for, in addition to paying the electric bill and maintaining a solar system - it is almost priceless.

It will be interesting to see the data on how long the generator has to run during spells like the one you are going through. For someone like me, who will have to use a generator routinely every two or three days in the winter, this is a critical detail, as well as the maintenance said generator will require.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Living Large
      No, you can't say you are off-grid yet. Turning to 7 hours of POCO when the batteries are low is a privilege I'd pay $20,000 up front for, in addition to paying the electric bill and maintaining a solar system - it is almost priceless.

It will be interesting to see the data on how long the generator has to run during spells like the one you are going through. For someone like me, who will have to use a generator routinely every two or three days in the winter, this is a critical detail, as well as the maintenance said generator will require.
      I hope you are not going to pin your design based on the OP's results. I would hazard to say location and the weather can make a major impact on what you will need or don't need.

Comment

• donald
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2015

Batteries have only been charged by the sun, the last few days have got them up to about 50% SOC, but what does that mean, since they are Aquion's?
        So you are determine DOD based on reports from the inverter, rather than battery voltage? Seems like you need some advice from your installer or battery vendor. I would be concerned that the system monitoring is not accurate, especially with a new type of battery. In your situation I would probably do a partial charge from the grid for now. I would stay away from high/low voltages until you figure out what is happening. I hope charging is set up correctly.

Also, why not set up your genset for manual start until the the autostart part is available?

Comment

• Living Large
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
          I hope you are not going to pin your design based on the OP's results.
          I can disabuse you of that notion - I am not.

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by donald
            So you are determine DOD based on reports from the inverter, rather than battery voltage? Seems like you need some advice from your installer or battery vendor. I would be concerned that the system monitoring is not accurate, especially with a new type of battery. In your situation I would probably do a partial charge from the grid for now. I would stay away from high/low voltages until you figure out what is happening. I hope charging is set up correctly.

Also, why not set up your genset for manual start until the the autostart part is available?

The problem here is the Aquion's. The inverter/ battery monitor/ charge controllers have never seen an Aquion before, so we just have to hang on for the ride.

I can connect to, but can not charge my batteries with the grid.

That's a good idea to set up our Honda Eu7000is to manual start but don't we need the wiring harness for the remote-start-module?
            AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
              Seems strange that you can be connected to the grid now but they want you to "upgrade" their system for you to stay connected. Does this have to do with grid sensitivity due to co-generators?

I just read an article concerning SolarEdge inverter hardware now meeting HECO requirements for PV systems. Apparently the new version of inverters have more capability to help stabilize the "grid" with Voltage and Freq control and even power factor or VAR injection. Not sure what that equipment looks like but HECO is now willing to go forward with PV installs if they meet the new requirements. Maybe that is what your POCO is requesting the upgrade to.
              Aloha SunEagle,

We have a switch to connect and disconnect to the grid. We are Grid tie here so we can not send our excess back to the grid.
              Yes the technology is there but HELCO just doesn't want to lose any $$$ from it's customers. Very greedy monopoly.
              AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by russ
                the 50 cent per kWh stuff helps!

The OP needs to mention in every post the game he is playing - no doubt there were some price breaks thrown his way.
                I'm not playing any games. There were no price breaks. We are not a Test site. Just one of first to have the balls to try something new.
                AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• Living Large
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2014

I calculate that for S20 (don't know how S10 differs), it would take 8 hours to charge the 24 stack bank 50%. The Eu7000is is matched to the size of this system, assuming the residents aren't using more than roughly 1500 watts continuous during charging by genny. Charging should be roughly 3900 watts, and the genny appears to be good for 5500 watts continuous.

Personally, this lengthy run time is unacceptable for my use, in my location. YMMV.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Well after reading the specs and long hard thought I think I have found two excellent uses for Aquino batteries.

1. Boat Anchors. they have more mass than FLA batteries. A single S20 unit ought to anchor a 30 foot boat securely. That is if it does not sink the boat from the added weight.

2. Structure for corral reef. No need to sink old navy ships for structure.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                      Well after reading the specs and long hard thought I think I have found two excellent uses for Aquino batteries.

1. Boat Anchors. they have more mass than FLA batteries. A single S20 unit ought to anchor a 30 foot boat securely. That is if it does not sink the boat from the added weight.
                      How low can it go?

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

How low can it go?
                        A battery with 5 to 10 times higher Ri than a comparable FLA is a joke. Anyone with a solid electrical background and fundamentals will understand the implications. It brings added cost to overcome the inefficiency and losses. Not to mention the operational issues of 60 to 30 volt operating range with a mere C/5 discharge current on a fully charged battery.

That is how low it can go.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

I just read an article about a solar project in Maui supported by JLM Energy using an energy storage device called "Energizr" which is part of a hybrid grid tie system.

I also saw an article about SunEdison installing mini off grid systems or Microstation (650VA & 3500VA) in India with some interesting stats.

Looks like there is more and more interest deploying off grid or hybrid systems.

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
                            • Feb 2015

I calculate that for S20 (don't know how S10 differs), it would take 8 hours to charge the 24 stack bank 50%.

Personally, this lengthy run time is unacceptable for my use, in my location. YMMV.
                            Aloha Living Large,

We are back to 100% This morning at 7:45am went from 25% to 26% then achieved full charge at 5:04pm. Sun came out, had some clouds then some good sun in between 10am and high noon. Have the dehydrator running all day.

Conext31315PVSummary.jpg
                            AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
                              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Sunking

2. Structure for corral reef. No need to sink old navy ships for structure.
                              Maybe should have bought a boat first, spent all my money on the Boat Anchors.
                              AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Maybe should have bought a boat first, spent all my money on the Boat Anchors.
                                Heck you are in Hawaii, do like the Polynesians do and build one. I think they call them "waʻa"
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...