Is this a good choice for off grid system?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian
    Sorry about that, average kWh per day varies between 14kWh to 20kWh . Today's usage from 12 midnight to 9pm is 21.2kWh.

Guests leave lights on all the time. Just came from upstairs and one guest has 2 ceiling fans with 3 lights each running on high and she's downstairs in the kitchen. The washing machine is running now, the microwave and a hairdrier just switched on. 3800 W load.

No TV in the house but we have 2 computers running our bioresonance software 24/7
    The 14 to 20 kWh a day sounds better but is still pretty low for a large house. Of course you do have a large PV array to supplement the usage during the day.

Too bad there wasn't a way to "meter" the electric used in each "guest" room. It is hard to get anyone that doesn't pay the electric bill to conserve it.

Like I said I am interested in the performance (charging and discharging) of your AHI battery system to see if it comes close to what they claim it should do. Keep us posted on any outcomes of your experiments. Thanks

Comment

• Amy@altE
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

Sorry about that, average kWh per day varies between 14kWh to 20kWh . Today's usage from 12 midnight to 9pm is 21.2kWh.

Guests leave lights on all the time. Just came from upstairs and one guest has 2 ceiling fans with 3 lights each running on high and she's downstairs in the kitchen. The washing machine is running now, the microwave and a hairdrier just switched on. 3800 W load.
      It may be worth it to put occupancy sensors or timers on the switches in the guest room. I keep threatening my husband I'm going to do that to his shop.

I am also very interested in any feedback you can give on those batteries.
      Solar Queen
      altE Store

Comment

• Living Large
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Amy@altE
        It may be worth it to put occupancy sensors or timers on the switches in the guest room. I keep threatening my husband I'm going to do that to his shop.

As you can see, we're all interested in your battery bank performance, since there isn't a lot of information out there. You've posted some additional information about your loads and usage, which are helpful. Have you had to run the generator at all?

Do you have any idea of how about much of the 14 to 20 daily kWH is used while the panels are generating, versus when they aren't?

Comment

• paulcheung
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2013

In Jamaica at Negril Beach, There is a hotel use the key card to turn on the power in the room and it has to leave in the slot to maintain the power, when you go out the room and took the key the power shut off in one minute.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by paulcheung
            In Jamaica at Negril Beach, There is a hotel use the key card to turn on the power in the room and it has to leave in the slot to maintain the power, when you go out the room and took the key the power shut off in one minute.
            Which one. When I go we stay at Beach House Villas. Tallest building in Negril and we get the room on top because the sun deck is on the roof and we can see the whole 7 mile beach.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• paulcheung
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2013

Foote print

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Foote print
                I think I know where that is at. Up north by Bloody Bay between the nude Swingers resort called Hedonism and Sandals. Gold or Yellow colored condos for families right?
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• mschulz
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2014

Everything in Spain is like that. No room card, no power. It was a bitch to keep my devices charged.

Comment

• Living Large
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                    I think I know where that is at. Up north by Bloody Bay between the nude Swingers resort called Hedonism and Sandals. Gold or Yellow colored condos for families right?
                    Ah, the nude Swingers resort - I've stayed there. I know exactly where you mean.

Comment

• donald
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2015

It may be worth it to put occupancy sensors or timers on the switches in the guest room.
                      Maybe for ceiling fans. But LEDs don't use much energy, and there are potential safety issues with aggressive light control. I assume these are paying guests. It probably doesn't make good business sense to do extensive room energy management, except perhaps on the low end of hospitality.
                      Building a new off grid Inn today would include full lighting automation and control, I think. Z-wave based systems are being installed more and more in new hotel construction.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by donald
                        Maybe for ceiling fans. But LEDs don't use much energy, and there are potential safety issues with aggressive light control. I assume these are paying guests. It probably doesn't make good business sense to do extensive room energy management, except perhaps on the low end of hospitality.
                        Building a new off grid Inn today would include full lighting automation and control, I think. Z-wave based systems are being installed more and more in new hotel construction.
                        There are other types of lighting control through "load shed" breaker panels that can be programmed to turn off loads by timer or communications signal.

Not sure if a wireless lighting control system like the Z-wave would work in a large building with a lot of steel and concrete. But there are ways to perform energy management and control the electrical loads. HVAC systems would be the first items to go after. And as you indicated lighting is now very efficient and may not be worth the cost of controlling them for short outage periods.

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
                          • Feb 2015

Lights

Originally posted by SunEagle
                          There are other types of lighting control through "load shed" breaker panels that can be programmed to turn off loads by timer or communications signal.

Not sure if a wireless lighting control system like the Z-wave would work in a large building with a lot of steel and concrete. But there are ways to perform energy management and control the electrical loads. HVAC systems would be the first items to go after. And as you indicated lighting is now very efficient and may not be worth the cost of controlling them for short outage periods.
                          I don't want to be the Light Switch Police. Have to just try to educate our guests about "Saving the Batteries" We did size our system to not have to worry about the guests that have no manners.
                          AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• paulcheung
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                            Yea I think so. Sandals are too expensive to going now.

Comment

• paulcheung
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2013

I don't want to be the Light Switch Police. Have to just try to educate our guests about "Saving the Batteries" We did size our system to not have to worry about the guests that have no manners.
                              I am assume you don't have air conditions in the room? or you use other means for the AC.

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Trust no one, not even family.
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...