X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OffGridHawaiian
    • Feb 2015

My New Sysrem

Aloha Everyone,

Newbie to Off Grid Solar. Just had system installed and have been running for about three weeks. 2 Schneider XW+ 6848-NA 120/240 48V 6800W CONTINUOUS, 8500W30min Inverter, with integrated Power Distribution Panel, and 3XWMPPT80-600Vdc Charge Controller,s 44 LG Optronics 265W High Efficiency Mono-crystalline PV Modules (or equivalent) with 25 year Warranty , 11.66 kWdc Array producing anannual average of 16-54 kWH per day. **24 AQUION ENERGY Aqueous Hybrid Ion (AHI), Benign Salt WaterBatteryS10 Stack’s in a 48V parallel configuration, with 44 usable kWH’s of storage,with 100% DoD capability, and 2 year full replacement warranty. and a Honda EU7000si running on propane.

Do you think I made a good choice?
    Last edited by OffGridHawaiian; 02-17-2015, 06:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to add equipment
    AlmostOffGridHawaiian
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian
    Aloha Everyone,

Newbie to Off Grid Solar. Just had system installed and have been running for about three weeks. 2 Schneider XW+ 6848-NA 120/240 48V 6800W CONTINUOUS, 8500W30min Inverter, with integrated Power Distribution Panel, and 3XWMPPT80-600Vdc Charge Controller,s 44 LG Optronics 265W High Efficiency Mono-crystalline PV Modules (or equivalent) with 25 year Warranty , 11.66 kWdc Array producing anannual average of 16-54 kWH per day. **24 AQUION ENERGY Aqueous Hybrid Ion (AHI), Benign Salt WaterBatteryS10 Stack’s in a 48V parallel configuration, with 44 usable kWH’s of storage,with 100% DoD capability, and 2 year full replacement warranty. and a Honda EU7000si running on propane.

Do you think I made a good choice?
    It all sounds like quality equipment but without some good historical data on the Aquion battery it is hard to say if it was a good choice. Expensive yes. Good???

Keep us informed on it's performance especially during any long periods of no sunlight. Thanks for giving us this info.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Me thinks you will regret using AHI batteries.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
        It all sounds like quality equipment but without some good historical data on the Aquion battery it is hard to say if it was a good choice. Expensive yes. Good???

Keep us informed on it's performance especially during any long periods of no sunlight. Thanks for giving us this info.
        Aloha SunEagle

Yes EXPENSIVE! So far system is doing it's job. We are currently running 4 refrigerators, have 9 guest rooms, 7 bathrooms. that at the current moment are all occupied. We haven't gotten below 60% SOC @ 8am. The sun comes over the mountain then and we usually get a full charge by 11:30. Installer suggested we do an experiment by turning off two of our arrays and getting the batteries to around 10% and see what happens. We had technician from Schneider come out an play with the configuration of the inverters since we are using the AHI technology. Loads are averaging 4.0 kHw per day, 74.9 kWh per week according to the Conext ComBox summary.

Sorry haven't had any long period of cloudy days since we installed the system.
        AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
          Me thinks you will regret using AHI batteries.
          Sunking,

What makes you think that?
          AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian
            Aloha SunEagle

Yes EXPENSIVE! So far system is doing it's job. We are currently running 4 refrigerators, have 9 guest rooms, 7 bathrooms. that at the current moment are all occupied. We haven't gotten below 60% SOC @ 8am. The sun comes over the mountain then and we usually get a full charge by 11:30. Installer suggested we do an experiment by turning off two of our arrays and getting the batteries to around 10% and see what happens. We had technician from Schneider come out an play with the configuration of the inverters since we are using the AHI technology. Loads are averaging 4.0 kHw per day, 74.9 kWh per week according to the Conext ComBox summary.

Sorry haven't had any long period of cloudy days since we installed the system.
            Aloha back to you,

Sounds like you have a good plan to "test" the AHI capabilities.

There has been a lot of conversation on this Forum concerning the "true" ability of that battery chemistry and exactly how much it can be discharged and recharged. If the advertised DOD% and cycle usage is true then it might be worth the investment. If not then AHI technology is really only viable to the top 1% of earners. Only time and a true live test such as yours will help fill in the blanks.

Thank you for your contribution to this Forum. I wish you good luck and lot of Sunshine.
            Last edited by SunEagle; 02-18-2015, 11:19 AM. Reason: added greeting

Comment

• Amy@altE
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2014

Aloha! That's a great system you've got there, in my opinion. I bet the Schneider techs were fighting over who got to go and set up the equipment. We've got some of them coming up to Snowachusetts next week for a show, someone drew the short stick on that one.

As someone mentioned, you can only run those batteries down to 80% DoD, as the lowest the inverter will go to is 40V. But there is a low voltage shutoff delay that I know Schneider was adjusting to reduce the likelihood of the inverter turning itself off when a high surge draw pulls down the voltage temporarily.

There have been a lot of conversations on this forum about the pros and cons of the Aquions. Please do keep us up to date on how they work for you.
              Solar Queen
              altE Store

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Amy@altE
                Aloha! That's a great system you've got there, in my opinion. I bet the Schneider techs were fighting over who got to go and set up the equipment. We've got some of them coming up to Snowachusetts next week for a show, someone drew the short stick on that one.

As someone mentioned, you can only run those batteries down to 80% DoD, as the lowest the inverter will go to is 40V. But there is a low voltage shutoff delay that I know Schneider was adjusting to reduce the likelihood of the inverter turning itself off when a high surge draw pulls down the voltage temporarily.

There have been a lot of conversations on this forum about the pros and cons of the Aquions. Please do keep us up to date on how they work for you.
                This is a few graphs on how our system is performing. The first is a normal day with full charge by 12 noon. Next is our battery summary on a cloudy getting up to 85% SOC and running down to around 67% SOC.

So far system keeping up with our needs. We don't have a generator hooked up yet (EU7000Si Auto-start not available yet), so glad to live in Hawaii Conext22315BattCloudy.jpgConext22315BattCloudy.jpgConext22615Batt.jpgConext22615load.jpgConext22615PVAC.jpg

Will keep you updated.
                AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

Working...