Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maj.Tom
    • Feb 2015

Installer/vendor Recomendation Needed

Hello all, this is my first post and I need help!
    I have been in the solar market for quite a while. I have had about 7 people come out in the last 14 months, and all have been extremely High. I finally pulled the trigger on a company that advertised last year on the local KFI radio station here in Southern California. They had the lowest price I had come by, offered decent financing, had a good BBB rating, and had all the licenses (solar, roof and Electrical) and been in business for 30 years doing roofing and electrical, and solar for the last 10. However, I had not been looking at these forums yet. So after they told me that the solar world panels that they were selling me were backordered and would not be in until after the new year, I began looking further here on the forums and finding that the deal they offered me, though better than the other 6 vendors I had out, was still a tad higher in comparison at about $3.75 and there was no monitoring with that (single inverter). Also they were selling me a 8250 kw system. I knew It was overboard as my average monthly usage is 940Kw/M, but the next size down was a 6600watt system, which was probably about right. They seemed to think maybe it would give me room to grow and given he panels become less efficient over time, maybe its better to install them now?

I don't want to call out another 8 salespeople as its pretty painful to sit though, I would like to save time and look at some good reputable vendors that can offer more in line with 3.50/watt with monitoring. No one seems to mention who they go with probably because its against forum rules, bet everyone mentions the great price they got. I was able to back out of my previous deal, as I didn't sign the roof layout yet, so they didn't get anything permitted. I'm looking for a better deal similar to the ones Ive been reading about, with monitoring. People seem to say Monitoring included, but is there any monthly fees with that? I'm in the Corona Norco which is in the inland empire in California area. It also occurred to me maybe I had a good deal and I'm being unreasonable, please feel free to comment on my situation as any help would be appreciated. Maybe a PM would work if you have some vendors I should be looking at. I did check out solar reviews as well, but prices don't seem to be listed there, just that people were satisfied or not.

Tom
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Hi Maj.Tom and welcome to the neighborhood.

It sounds like you will end up with a good result because you are doing your homework. Re your location, my first thought is how are the panels going to be installed, e.g all on one section of roof facing the same way or multiple sections of roof, next question, do you have any shading issues?

If panel monitoring is important to you go for it but I personally think its overrated as we seem to have quite a few issues with micro-inverter monitoring. So glad to hear you checked out solarreviews.com and yes its all about looking at reviews from companies in your area you are considering, you can click on a button and they will quote you if they subscribe. Dont know why you need another 8 companies why cant you go back to the ones you like and ask for a better deal? Opinions will vary and that's ok.

Please note I work for the same crew (well sort of) that runs this site and solar reviews, cheers and good luck with it, hopefully some more knowledgeable people from your area will chime in, and no its not cool to mention installers names here.

Comment

• Maj.Tom
      • Feb 2015

Thanks Pete for your response. When I was busy getting quotes, I usually had some quote from another vendor, and they would sometimes beat the price, but when some of the early quotes were in the $5 range, it didn't help much. And a couple times when I would show a lower quote from another vendor, I got a line about how there company is better for some reason or another, or the panels are better or they offer a better warranty and stand behind their product and the price they are offering is the best. They are usually the folks that are offering me a 1500 off deal of a 40k system if I put signs in my yard. I think some of these vendors are only looking for the un-informed buyer and if you know a bit about it, then its not worth it to them, cause they can go down the street and get their price there. No kidding, during the summer, I would get about 1 or 2 different vendor sales men knocking on my door a week. These were the lesser informed folks that try to get a lead, but the business must be so lucrative right now that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. My neighbor just got solar panels installed today in fact, so I will ask him about his deal. It was yet another company I never heard of.

On Solar review, they can send me a quote without making a house call and giving me their pitch for an hour or 2?

Tom

Comment

• solar pete
        Administrator
        • May 2014

Hi Maj.Tom,

Re solar reviews, well it all depends on the company, some will have a chat to you about your house/location/roof/elec panel etc and googlemap or nearmap your roof and give you a quote, some have a policy where they wont quote unless they do a site survey. So probably best to call them and ask. Be upfront with them, tell them you cant stand to sit through a 2 hour BS session in order to get a quote.

From what I've heard avoid the door to door types at all costs they seem to like to prey on the stupid. Good luck with it, cheers

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Among other things, get your roof inspected and serviced. you will not be sorry.

Comment

• Maj.Tom
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
            Among other things, get your roof inspected and serviced. you will not be sorry.
            I have not heard this before, what is the reason? Is this insurance so that the company who does the install can't get out of responsibility if my roof starts leaking after the install?

Tom

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Maj.Tom
              I have not heard this before, what is the reason? Is this insurance so that the company who does the install can't get out of responsibility if my roof starts leaking after the install?

Tom
              I was somewhat presumptuous and assumed you have a roof mount. Assuming that is correct, know that solar electricity will last a long time on your roof. Doing your best to help ensure that the roof lasts as long as the panels is often considered smart thinking and cheap insurance. Reason: removing panels, chasing and stopping leaks or other necessary repairs and then reinstalling panels can be expensive and if the reinstall of the array is done by folks not familiar with solar electricity (i.e., roofers) things may not go too well.

For vendors, check something called the CSI database on the net. Until the CA state rebate program funds ran out last spring or so, the pertinent details of every solar job in CA was listed on a big, sortable spreadsheet. Details included everything about an installation except the name /address of the user - including vendors, prices, equipment, and lots more. Not much good for residential systems now, but economical vendors then are probably still at least competitive on price today. It was a great tool while it lasted.

Comment

• EnergyMan
                • Apr 2015

Hi Maj. Tom,
                I live here in Corona and I recently sign a contract with HelioPower after seeing 6 other vendors. They were the only ones who offer something different from the rest of the companies out there, they have an Energy Optimization plan which is both a Generation and Reduction solution. So I can definitely shed some light on the subject if you have any questions. Cheers!

Comment

Working...