Banned
    • Sep 2014

Goodbye Chinese Panels.....

The solar shakeup continues....
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Alisobob
    FWIW, I've been following the author of that piece for some time on the Fool. IMO, he knows squat about solar and, ignorant or otherwise, often writes as a shill for Sunpower.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      FWIW, I've been following the author of that piece for some time on the Fool. IMO, he knows squat about solar and, ignorant or otherwise, often writes as a shill for Sunpower.
      Additionally "Travis Hoium is long SunPower. The Motley Fool recommends SolarCity. The Motley Fool owns shares of SolarCity"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

That maybe true, but there is no denying the tariff imposed on Chi-Com panels will have a huge impact on sales. Bottom line it means cost will be going up in the USA, and that means less sales. Not to mention China will retaliate imposing tariffs on US goods into China hurting US manufacturing. The US cannot win a trade war with any developing country, especially giants like China and India. It is a Lose - Lose for US with nothing to gain.

As an investor what I would be looking at is real simple.
        Panel prices will go up
        Subsidies end year end 2015
        Net Metering under attack, being modified raising cost on solar users, and consumers becoming aware all those cost are being passed onto them by higher utility rates will continue th epressure for solar customers to pay their own cost.

All that adds up to a collapse and the bubble gets popped. I got out of solar in 2007 at the peak, and made money. If I had any solar stock today knowing what is coming. I would take my losses or profits right now and let someone else get caught holding the bag of poop.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
          That maybe true, but there is no denying the tariff imposed on Chi-Com panels will have a huge impact on sales. Bottom line it means cost will be going up in the USA, and that means less sales. Not to mention China will retaliate imposing tariffs on US goods into China hurting US manufacturing. The US cannot win a trade war with any developing country, especially giants like China and India. It is a Lose - Lose for US with nothing to gain.

As an investor what I would be looking at is real simple.
          Panel prices will go up
          Subsidies end year end 2015
          Net Metering under attack, being modified raising cost on solar users, and consumers becoming aware all those cost are being passed onto them by higher utility rates will continue th epressure for solar customers to pay their own cost.

All that adds up to a collapse and the bubble gets popped. I got out of solar in 2007 at the peak, and made money. If I had any solar stock today knowing what is coming. I would take my losses or profits right now and let someone else get caught holding the bag of poop.
          Agreed except that if by subsidies you are referring to the 30% fed. tax credit, the way things are now, that will expire 12/31/2016, not 2015.

I'm bailing on my solar stuff now, a bit late maybe, but I bought most of it in mid 2012, still cheap even now after the last 6 months crash.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

I'm bailing on my solar stuff now, a bit late maybe, but I bought most of it in mid 2012, still cheap even now after the last 6 months crash.
            Sell now while your ahead. Wait any longer and you will be the one caught holding the bag. Let some other sucker do that.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

How long is the price of oil and gas going to remain low?

The good news side is that the Chinese companies are going to have to sell more somewhere else - maybe things get cheaper here.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by russ
                How long is the price of oil and gas going to remain low?

The good news side is that the Chinese companies are going to have to sell more somewhere else - maybe things get cheaper here.
                I think it is the other way around. Without chinese panels, price of solar will go up. Look at 4+ yrs ago....

Oh, maybe outside of US will be cheaper haha. You probably see lots panels coming out of Canada and Mexico

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by silversaver
                  I think it is the other way around. Without chinese panels, price of solar will go up. Look at 4+ yrs ago....

Oh, maybe outside of US will be cheaper haha. You probably see lots panels coming out of Canada and Mexico
                  The "here" I mentioned is Turkey
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• silversaver
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2013

I spot that russ

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                      The problem with this is the utilities will use a change as an excuse to slap on a completely
                      out of proportion fee on net metering, trying to put them out of business. It will be hard to
                      get this limited to the real cost. What I could live with, is something like this:

The solar users get credit for 90-95% of the power they send to the grid. Utility gets the
                      rest as a profit. Solar user billed or deducted at 100% for whatever they take back.

Subsidies will expire soon enough. I think they were a good thing; there is always an
                      initial cost to progress. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...