X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thejq
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Alisobob
    Continuing to work with a completly incompetent contractor, then belly aching about it .... is pretty close to my analogy.

Separate yourself from the drama..

If he abandons the job... GOOD.

He's on the hook for whatever you have to pay to get it resolved.

Turn him in the the contractors board, so no one else will have to go through what your going through.

Otherwise, your just kicking the can down the street...
    At this point, I don't think the OP has many choices. No reputable contractor will want to take blames from someone else's mistake, if problem arises later, not to mention the possibility of getting dragged into the mud with contract litigation with the original contractor. For the OP, it's also an expensive alternative. If the OP can get the original contractor to follow the permit to the dot and watch it closely, there's very little risk. Most of the time, even the bad contractor knows how to do it properly but just lazy and want to cut corners and work less for the same money.
    16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by HX_Guy
      I'm using Unirac SolarMount racking which is how the instructions say to do the grounding. I don't know much about electrical code, but I do know how to follow directions pretty well.
      Yep! We have seen that!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• silversaver
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2013

It is always fun to read OP's thread. Poor people always have his sad reasons... no offense but great example for others who trying to acquire solar.

I don't think anyone can expect too much from a F rating installer with 1st experience on SolarEdge.

If you decided to work with original installer, try to find an experienced installer with Solaredge background to look up after the work for you. It will save you tons of time.

I.... have found a reputable installer with 2000+ solar job completed and 10 yrs in business (BBB A+ rating) still using hanger bolt as standoff. I have no choice but only can find a 3rd party to re-inspect their work since I believed it is ok.... No one is perfect, but we'll trying to get it right.

Comment

• HX_Guy
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Wow poor people, really? You do realize the cost of this system is on par with other installers right?

Comment

• silversaver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by HX_Guy
            Wow poor people, really? You do realize the cost of this system is on par with other installers right?
            I don't really mean moneywise poor..... maybe I should use the word unfortunate.

PS. I still don't think unfortunate is the right word. Because you are the one create this **** hole and still think you are smart. What else can I say? You never listen, cute

Comment

• Alisobob
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

Comment

• HX_Guy
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by silversaver
                I don't really mean moneywise poor..... maybe I should use the word unfortunate.

PS. I still don't think unfortunate is the right word. Because you are the one create this **** hole and still think you are smart. What else can I say? You never listen, cute
                How did I create it? Because I took a chance on a company that said they had some rough times in the past but all ways good now, and I personally talked to 5 of their past customers who seemed happy?

Whatever man, I don't see how that's relevant to all this now anyway. Enjoy your hanger bolt setup.

Comment

• silversaver
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2013

Multiple unanswered complaints has landed a local general contractor an 'F' rating with the Better Business Bureau.

I agree, I might be screwed from an A+ installer with 2000+ job completed with ZERO complaint. I will not start bashing them until I got a clear result from inspection.

Comment

• Living Large
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Alisobob
                    A nice, shiny , aluminum rack... lagged to wood rafters... isnt grounded.

Anything you bolt to the rack.. with star washers or not... isnt grounded either.

Electricity 101
                    Of course, but that is beyond the scope of the washer itself, which was what he was complaining about in this post. His concern was bonding the P400 piece to the rails (which I didn't realize initially). I pointed out there is a hole for a ground wire in the P400 piece, but it sounds like the homeowner is hoping grounding would be done via the rails to save some wire/labor.

Comment

• sdold
                      • Jun 2014

You can bond to the rails, and I think the star washer is OK. My system is done in that way, with #6 solid copper to each rail using a lay-in lug with a device that penetrates the oxide layer (a WEEB washer) and then the rails joints are bonded together with braided bonding jumpers, and the parts and panels are bonded to the rails with similar devices that penetrate the oxide layer in the aluminum. All of the parts are listed for the application and so satisfy the code (At least the parts I've read).

Comment

• HX_Guy
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

I guess I can see why my installer cut every corner he did...this is very time consuming and tiring! Took me 4 hours to do 16 standoff posts (and I still have to cut the holes into the tiles)...oh and plus another 3 hours to undo all the work he did.

Oh and the comedy continues...anyone know a good way to find the studs in the roof? How about just drill till you find it??

For $9 he could have bought this magnetic stud finder! It works so well I was pretty amazed.

Comment

• silversaver
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2013

Good job!!!!!!!!

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

Nice pictures and nice work. You won't regret knowing that it will fully meet your standards.

Doesn't the stud finder work on the nails driven to hold the wood? If so it isn't any more
                            accurate than those nails. I have been known to drill a small hole where I think the edge
                            of a stud is, to see if I hit it, miss it, or run down its side. With that info I might even drill
                            another (small) hole to narrow it down more. I see some nails in the attic that missed the
                            stud. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Living Large
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2014

I don't see evidence your installer was there. Is he out of view of the camera?

This all looks quite a step above his work.

Comment

• Ian S
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by bcroe
                                Doesn't the stud finder work on the nails driven to hold the wood?
                                No, many now detect the change in capacitance as it passes over the stud.

Comment

Working...