• russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Chris - Spread it elsewhere
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sgtdic
      • Feb 2012

Don't like it, don't read it. Opinions can be kept to oneself.

Comment

• Sgtdic
        • Feb 2012

The Can-AM Spyder is a 3 wheel roadster and has been sold since 2007. It has not failed, so why not build something like it with a cage on it. The BRP company is Canadian with a subsidiary in AUstria, at least in the beginning, not sure if it is any more. MPG doesn't look too great though for what it is.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sgtdic
          The Can-AM Spyder is a 3 wheel roadster and has been sold since 2007. It has not failed, so why not build something like it with a cage on it. The BRP company is Canadian with a subsidiary in AUstria, at least in the beginning, not sure if it is any more. MPG doesn't look too great though for what it is.
          The Can-Am is a nice motorcycle mostly due to the dynamic breaking system. The RT series makes a nice long distance bike similar to the Honda Goldwing.

The problem is right now the cost is in the low to mid 20's without a roll cage or enclosure. Adding those features will drive the cost up to the 30's. Maybe some time in the future we will see a vehicle like the Carver but I seriously doubt it since the demand for an enclosed 3 wheeler is pretty low.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
            The Can-Am is a nice motorcycle mostly due to the dynamic breaking system. The RT series makes a nice long distance bike similar to the Honda Goldwing.

The problem is right now the cost is in the low to mid 20's without a roll cage or enclosure. Adding those features will drive the cost up to the 30's. Maybe some time in the future we will see a vehicle like the Carver but I seriously doubt it since the demand for an enclosed 3 wheeler is pretty low.
            I find the whole idea of a Trike, that is what it is, interesting. Like motorcycles, trikes one inherent safety problem any 5 year can attest to including any of us if we can remember. They like to High-Side, flip, over and roll. Every 5 year old wears that badge of honor with road rash strawberries and that is at less than 5 mph, imagine 50, 60, 70 mph road rash with a 1000-pound vehicle rolling with you and on top of you.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
              I find the whole idea of a Trike, that is what it is, interesting. Like motorcycles, trikes one inherent safety problem any 5 year can attest to including any of us if we can remember. They like to High-Side, flip, over and roll. Every 5 year old wears that badge of honor with road rash strawberries and that is at less than 5 mph, imagine 50, 60, 70 mph road rash with a 1000-pound vehicle rolling with you and on top of you.
              Which makes the tilting frame/movable center of mass suspension geometry trikes potentially more interesting than the rigid tricycle frame design.
              They do have their own set of problems though, and I do not claim particular knowledge about them.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
                Which makes the tilting frame/movable center of mass suspension geometry trikes potentially more interesting than the rigid tricycle frame design.
                They do have their own set of problems though, and I do not claim particular knowledge about them.
                I agree that in general a 3 wheeled bike is very unstable. The Can-Am uses some very sophisticated breaking technology so that all three wheels will provide the correct amount of stopping power to keep the bike stable and on the ground.

A Carver style bike that tilts or leans side to side will try to maintain a low center of gravity. A numer of bike manufacturers have incorporated that technology which works well but is expensive.

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
                  I agree that in general a 3 wheeled bike is very unstable. The Can-Am uses some very sophisticated breaking technology so that all three wheels will provide the correct amount of stopping power to keep the bike stable and on the ground.

A Carver style bike that tilts or leans side to side will try to maintain a low center of gravity. A numer of bike manufacturers have incorporated that technology which works well but is expensive.
                  It is not just the low center of gravity that makes the difference. It is also the position of the CG relative to the outermost (from center of curve) points of support.

Sliding the CG sideways would be almost as effective as leaning to move it sideways and lower it at the same time. Just mechanically even more challenging.
                  Think of a cartoon where the wheels of a car going around a turn move away from the car (although that is usually the inside wheels!)
                  Last edited by inetdog; 11-03-2014, 07:40 PM.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...