X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulcheung
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2013

Can this thing work?

I was checking something on Walmart.com, and happen to see this power inverter. Can this inverter work as it claim? 12 volts DC input and 8000 watts rated power and 16,000 watts peak? with 4 set of 2 little screws for 670 amps 12volts DC current?

• ILFE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

Insane.
    Paul

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by paulcheung
      I was checking something on Walmart.com, and happen to see this power inverter. Can this inverter work as it claim? 12 volts DC input and 8000 watts rated power and 16,000 watts peak? with 4 set of 2 little screws for 670 amps 12volts DC current?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-Waga...Specifications
      Yeah... 8000W/12V =~ 670A
      670A / 4 =~ 167A
      167A through a 1/4" (or maybe #10) stud.
      Sure. Sounds good to me.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Well, they do say that for an output of 5000W or more you need to connect four sets of DC wires, each a minimum of 1/0 copper. And use appropriately crimped ring terminals on the ends. (That means that the current will be able to use the entire area of the metal boss which surrounds the stud, not just the area of the stud itself.

Which does not take away from the basic fact that 8000A from a 12V source is insane.
        They also show three sets of two 6V 220AH batteries, but do not show diagonal or bus bar wiring.
        And they casually mention the need for fuse(s) as close as possible to the battery terminals, but give you absolutely no help in finding fuses and fuse holders that can stand up to the task.

And, in case you have forgotten, the DC draw for surge output would be ~330A per wire, x 4.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ILFE
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by inetdog
          And, in case you have forgotten, the DC draw for surge output would be ~330A per wire, x 4.
          And I thought it would be a heavy draw. In that case, it's barely noticeable.

Seriously, 48v would have made it a nice way to go.
          Paul

Comment

• foo1bar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
            Well, they do say that for an output of 5000W or more you need to connect four sets of DC wires, each a minimum of 1/0 copper. And use appropriately crimped ring terminals on the ends. (That means that the current will be able to use the entire area of the metal boss which surrounds the stud, not just the area of the stud itself.

Which does not take away from the basic fact that 8000A from a 12V source is insane.
            They also show three sets of two 6V 220AH batteries, but do not show diagonal or bus bar wiring.
            And they casually mention the need for fuse(s) as close as possible to the battery terminals, but give you absolutely no help in finding fuses and fuse holders that can stand up to the task.

I'm sure you meant 8000W from a 12V source.

But to your point - You're right - the boss surrounding the stud would likely be handling quite a bit of the current.

Even so, I wouldn't want to try to take this thing to it's maximum output. (I somewhat wonder if they even sell many of them - or if it's more of a product to get a halo effect so that they can sell the smaller ones to the guy who needs to power a circular saw or table saw off of his pickup)

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

I rate that inverter either a fire starter or boat anchor.

I did not get into the manual or specs but did anyone see if it is UL listed?

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Fool Bait. Any thing over 1000 watts @ 12 volts is crazy talk.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• paulcheung
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2013

What I try to ask is, Can this thing really work? under the right condition? do the manufacturer or the seller get into any legal issue if the product is not capable do what it claim to do and cause safety issues?
                  Walmart is a place I shop when I am in the USA. So it concern me they sell this item that I know it is insane.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by paulcheung
                    What I try to ask is, Can this thing really work? under the right condition? do the manufacturer or the seller get into any legal issue if the product is not capable do what it claim to do and cause safety issues?
                    Walmart is a place I shop when I am in the USA. So it concern me they sell this item that I know it is insane.
                    The manufactures (Wagan Tech) website says they are located in California and belong to the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). Besides inverters they also make a lot of other products for Automotive, Solar, power tools and lighting so they must be required to meet both UL and other safety codes for the US for electrical products.

It does seem strange that they would make a device that could easily be used incorrectly and cause a fire or worse.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Paul it is Fools Bait. Just like Horse Power rated in a vehicle really does not mean anything, torque wins the race, horse power sells cars to fools.

They have no intention on anyone actually drawing that much power. If someone attempts it, fire is the likely result, and I guarantee you no DIY, nor many electricians could comply with the installation instructions. So if you did not follow the instructions to th eletter and could prove it was done correctly, they would not be held liable when you burn your house down.

Let's face it US consumers are fools. Case in point. How many folks come here operating 12 volt system with multiple 12 volt batteries in parallel with kilo watt inverters. They have no clue 8, 6, 4 and 2 volt batteries exist in the needed amp hour capacity. They have no clue 24, 36, 48, 60, 72 volts and up battery systems exist. All they know is a 12 volt box they are trapped in. I believe you were one of them before we let you out of that box.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• paulcheung
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2013

Gottcha, Thank you.

Thanks to Internet that we can research and learn.

Comment

• ZoNiE
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2014

I have an older Wagen 700 W Mod Sq wave inverter. It is actually three smaller units on one board, paralleled together, so four studs on this thing probably are tied together internally, and allow for easier fusing and wiring? It runs an old 4 cup coffee pot nicely. I rarely use it anymore.

IMO, many inverters and charge controllers don't allow for proper oversizing of wiring. My Kid Charge controller allows for #10 wire, and I would like to run #8. I have to cheat and cut a few strands, (not gonna do that) or use a terminal very near by, but that leaves that little short run of #10... Unless I can finesse some uber-fine strand monster cable into it...

Some of us are trapped in 12V boxes due to our RV power systems. Too much hassle to change things up to 24 or 48. That said, I'm not going over 600W pure sine... Don't need more. If I need more, I hit the starter button on the honda.
                          House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
                          RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

Working...