Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nmikmik
    • May 2014

SDG&E "Reduce Your Use Thermostat" program

Couldn't find more appropriate forum, so posting here, please feel free to move

I was poking around SDG&E site and found this Reduce Your Use Thermostat program.
    Was wondering if anyone took the bate and uses this program and how it actually works. From their website it's not very clear with lots of legal statement and not much else.

Thanks,
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

This location works just fine.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by nmikmik
      Couldn't find more appropriate forum, so posting here, please feel free to move

I was poking around SDG&E site and found this Reduce Your Use Thermostat program.
      Was wondering if anyone took the bate and uses this program and how it actually works. From their website it's not very clear with lots of legal statement and not much else.

Thanks,
      I saw lots of info with prices and particulars. Depending on your sit., you can get credits between $.75 or $1.25/kWh for dropping your pants when system loads are high and you allow them to cut you off. Check out the FAQ's

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

I have something similar. There are control boxes on my pool pump and AC unit (use to have one on my water heater before I went with a solar unit). The Utility can remotely shut down my "big energy" users if there is a need due to high demand and low reserves. The credits is anywhere from $4 to $12 a month depending on time of year and what can be controlled.

I have had these for about 12 years and only once did the Utility shut down my pool pump and AC unit. And that was for maybe 1/2 hour. To me it is worth the "inconvenience" of a very small chance of my equipment not running to save $50 to $100 per year.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Did they pay for the added wiring and controls, or was there an up front expense to you?
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
            Did they pay for the added wiring and controls, or was there an up front expense to you?
            The Utility installed all of the boxes and wiring. It didn't cost me a penny. There is also indication on the box when that item has been turned off so you know if the Utility is causing it to stop and not the equipment or circuit breaker.

The load shed was an idea by the Utility (Progress Energy at that time) to help reduce load when then they were running low. Better to have some people without pool pump, AC or hot water instead of a lot of people in a Brown Out.

My only issue with the system is that now that Duke is in control the "credit" amount has been reduced so the yearly savings is not as much as it was back in 2009.

Comment

• nmikmik
              • May 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
              The Utility installed all of the boxes and wiring. It didn't cost me a penny. There is also indication on the box when that item has been turned off so you know if the Utility is causing it to stop and not the equipment or circuit breaker.

The load shed was an idea by the Utility (Progress Energy at that time) to help reduce load when then they were running low. Better to have some people without pool pump, AC or hot water instead of a lot of people in a Brown Out.

My only issue with the system is that now that Duke is in control the "credit" amount has been reduced so the yearly savings is not as much as it was back in 2009.
              Thanks for sharing the info, my primary reason was to get the thermostat that can be controlled remotely, plus the possible savings won't hurt either. I am wondering how it works with your PV system, so on the days utility feels the need to cut you off, your PVs are still producing electricity, but utility has the control of the equipment? I know that you can "opt-out" on the days you are not feeling like getting reduced rate.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by nmikmik
                Thanks for sharing the info, my primary reason was to get the thermostat that can be controlled remotely, plus the possible savings won't hurt either. I am wondering how it works with your PV system, so on the days utility feels the need to cut you off, your PVs are still producing electricity, but utility has the control of the equipment? I know that you can "opt-out" on the days you are not feeling like getting reduced rate.
                Depending on how often they raise your AC temp it still sounds like a way to save some money.

As for the PV system, if you are on some type of "net metering" you should be able to "bank" the kWh that your AC unit is not currently using. That is a savings of some kind as long at the "family" doesn't complain about the house being to hot.

Comment

• nmikmik
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                  Depending on how often they raise your AC temp it still sounds like a way to save some money.

As for the PV system, if you are on some type of "net metering" you should be able to "bank" the kWh that your AC unit is not currently using. That is a savings of some kind as long at the "family" doesn't complain about the house being to hot.
                  oh yea, fat chance they will let me or anyone else control the thermostat if we get the PV system. That is actually one of my concerns of getting the system, because I suspect our overall energy use will go up significantly as soon as they/we feel it's "free"

Comment

Working...