X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4321loco
    • Sep 2009

Grid tie system or try conserving more power.

Hey Guys I been away for a few years but I once again had a few questions.

I live in South Texas and use about 1800kwh - 2400kwh depending what part of the year we are in. I was thinking about getting a grid tie system but noticed that I do use about 60-80kwh a day and If I wanted to off set most of it it would have to be a huge system.

What can I do to conserve power besides the things I have done already. All the changes I have done were in the past few months so my usage is as stated above.

I installed the following.

Replaced most 100 watt bulbs with 16 cfl bulbs rated at 20 watts. Still have around 15 or so 60 watt floodlight style lights in house needing replacement which I will try to buy this week end.

Installed a 45 watt CFL outdoor light to replace my 100 watt back yard light.

Installed a supposedly efficient 12k btu Mini Spit unit in my bedroom, its rated at 950 watts and I try keeping it at 75 degrees. Mini split runs from 8PM to 8AM weekdays and a little more on week ends.

During the night i put my (Year 2007) 5 ton central air at 78 degrees to prevent it from running long hours. It stays around 78 degrees from 8PM to about 3 pm which then goes to 76 for remainder of the day. Would it be a bad idea to set it to 80 degrees or would that make my unit run longer to cool house?

Could the central air unit need replacement to a newer efficient model? I think its a 5 ton seer 13 and uses the 410 Freon.

I added a patio in the rear of house with a 24x30 feet roof which shades the rear windows from sun coming in directly.

Just called the power company and got a lower rate, I think I was at 14 cents and got my contract done a few minutes ago at 11.3 cents per kw. That should be a good savings again.

Things I could do. Just unsure what would benefit me.

Install a 7kw grid tie system.

Add solar screen to my 6' x 15' front window. Last quote was crazy high like $600 or $900 for that window alone.

Lower temperature on my water heater. I was just looking for a knob but unsure if to remove some covers on the unit. I rather ask first lol.

Replace central air unit with a more efficient unit.

I have 3 tvs 50 or 55 inch that are rated at 300 watts, should I replace them?

Replace my cheap washer and dryer, maybe 5 years old.

I went crazy typing so sorry for my grammar. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 4321loco
    Hey Guys I been away for a few years but I once again had a few questions.

I live in South Texas and use about 1800kwh - 2400kwh depending what part of the year we are in. I was thinking about getting a grid tie system but noticed that I do use about 60-80kwh a day and If I wanted to off set most of it it would have to be a huge system.

What can I do to conserve power besides the things I have done already. All the changes I have done were in the past few months so my usage is as stated above.

I installed the following.

Replaced most 100 watt bulbs with 16 cfl bulbs rated at 20 watts. Still have around 15 or so 60 watt floodlight style lights in house needing replacement which I will try to buy this week end.

Installed a 45 watt CFL outdoor light to replace my 100 watt back yard light.

Installed a supposedly efficient 12k btu Mini Spit unit in my bedroom, its rated at 950 watts and I try keeping it at 75 degrees. Mini split runs from 8PM to 8AM weekdays and a little more on week ends.

During the night i put my (Year 2007) 5 ton central air at 78 degrees to prevent it from running long hours. It stays around 78 degrees from 8PM to about 3 pm which then goes to 76 for remainder of the day. Would it be a bad idea to set it to 80 degrees or would that make my unit run longer to cool house?

Could the central air unit need replacement to a newer efficient model? I think its a 5 ton seer 13 and uses the 410 Freon.

I added a patio in the rear of house with a 24x30 feet roof which shades the rear windows from sun coming in directly.

Just called the power company and got a lower rate, I think I was at 14 cents and got my contract done a few minutes ago at 11.3 cents per kw. That should be a good savings again.

Things I could do. Just unsure what would benefit me.

Install a 7kw grid tie system.

Add solar screen to my 6' x 15' front window. Last quote was crazy high like $600 or $900 for that window alone.

Lower temperature on my water heater. I was just looking for a knob but unsure if to remove some covers on the unit. I rather ask first lol.

Replace central air unit with a more efficient unit.

I have 3 tvs 50 or 55 inch that are rated at 300 watts, should I replace them?

Replace my cheap washer and dryer, maybe 5 years old.

I went crazy typing so sorry for my grammar. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    So far, so good. But, mostly small potatoes to date - a good start but lots more to do. Start w/ considering insulation and weatherstripping. If I had a boat with holes in the bottom of the hull, I'd plug the leaks before I got more efficient motors to save money on pumping costs. I see no mention above of insulation or weatherstripping. You may be living in a heat sieve.

Before that however, get/do an energy audit. It may very likely suggest insulation/tightening up the house for air leaks.

Next, depending on your situation, an audit will probably suggest measures to take from those that save the most $ to those w/most bang for the buck. Do them as you budget and priorities dictate. I'd respectfully suggest starting with the smaller of the most bang for the buck stuff first. For some reason those are often the easiest to get at - turn up/down the thermostats depending on season - turn off appliances and lights - all of which cost zero. Then, for example, next of the small most cost effective - wrap the water tank (safely) w/more insulation - things like that. Save the stuff with the longest payback until last. Your choice on which projects big $ or small if payback is close - usually financial considerations come more into play there.

Energy audits are usually avail. from your utility (POCO = your power company. Also, they sometimes have financing or know of financing sources.

A lot of smart money will say don't even think about solar until you've done all the other cheap(er) stuff first. Another way to look at it might be that solar is on the energy audit list, but it's almost at the bottom, probably just ahead of new windows.

Solar is about the most expensive way to reduce an electric bill. Do the cheap stuff first that has a better return on investment and may be less disruptive to your lifestyle.

Besides, all the energy conservation stuff will reduce the load that a solar elec. system will be offsetting. This will make the solar elec. system smaller as a result. Smaller solar elec. systems cost less. Thus, conservation efforts are sort of like compound interest for energy savings. Do them first. Do solar last, if at all.

Good Luck. BTW: Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

ON I can help you out by directing your attention elsewhere. Like JPM said all you have done is small potatoes. In your location 80% of your energy bill is Air Conditioning . So you can nickel and dime the small stuff all you want with not much difference, but until you attack the AC, you are spinning your wheels.

Not only replace your HVAC but upgrade windows, door, and insulation. That is the biggest bang for your buck. Additionally just upgrading will add real equity to your home. In TX since power is so cheap it does not add much equity to the home. So if you cut that cooling bill by 50% translates to 40% cut in electric bills.

Once you get that done and have a chance to see the results, then you can revisit solar.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

as said, the Central AC is your tall nail.

And get a pressure test on your house, find where the leaks are. (they install a "fan door" and blow air and look for where it leaks out) Seal those up, and you have spent a whole lot less than buying solar.

Plant some trees or bushes (native to your climate) that can shade the window, or put an awning on it. Or install thermal film on it.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• 4321loco
          • Sep 2009

Well summers do get up in the 110 plus range and winters are in the 60s.

I do see a small bit of light coming through the bottom of the front door, the bottom piece is warn down a bit but not missing. I will try getting it replaced this week.

The house is about 6 years old and has 2x6 boards with insulation but unsure of what type. All but restroom windows are energy efficient or double glass type. The house has high ceilings so I need a ladder to check out the attic haven't been up there.

Would adding an electric vent up there help, my old house was extremely unpleasant in about a minute or so.

I will check out on the insulation for water heater.

Probably get AC tech to clean out my air condition system this weekend too. The inside unit has never been removed so maybe that could help a bit.

Comment

• 4321loco
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mike90250
            as said, the Central AC is your tall nail.

And get a pressure test on your house, find where the leaks are. (they install a "fan door" and blow air and look for where it leaks out) Seal those up, and you have spent a whole lot less than buying solar.

Plant some trees or bushes (native to your climate) that can shade the window, or put an awning on it. Or install thermal film on it.
            We have some small Oaks about 15 feet tall, 2 in front and 4 in rear of home. Not many big trees around here but the front window is around 6 x 15 feet. We usually have some kind of vine plant that covers 80% of window but the bright sun or a sudden cold front just kills it.

is that thermal screen like automotive tint or a porous fiber?

Can I do a pressure test or do I risk poping out a window myself?

Comment

• Ian S
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2011

You might want to consider LED lights instead of cfls, led lights have really dropped in price. Do you have any low voltage outside lights running a good part of the night? If so, and if they are of the older halogen variety, you can save by replacing them with leds too. Definitely get an energy audit. There's probably insulation to be added. A 7 y.o. 5 ton AC unit at 13 seer is going to be expensive to replace with anything with much higher efficiency not to mention the fact that it's not exactly old. If you haven't done so have it serviced/cleaned next spring and you might be surprised at the improvement you get. Ceiling fans might make a slightly higher temperature setting on the AC more comfortable feeling. If you have a refrigerator in the garage, get rid of it - it'll be an energy hog.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

1 or 2, 20" box fan(s), on a "fake" plywood door you can hook onto a door frame, blow air into the house, and look for leaks. I doubt you can build enough pressure to blow out a window, but maybe you can, it won't be fun. Then you need the tools to find the leaks.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Loco: Meant respectfully: Look at the bigger picture. You seem focused on small details. Get an energy audit. Most everything everyone here is saying is good and probably necessary advice. Looks like we all want to help some. An audit will probably include most or a lot of what's been suggested here. The audit may help set priorities and get a better view of the bigger picture. At the least it can't hurt.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

No ones house is that tight. Not sure about your state and location, but most states have energy audit professionals who come out and do the test for free. The utilities, local contractors, and suppliers pay their fee as they will benefit from sales after the audit.

They will give you a detailed report on how much energy you are loosing and where it is being lost. They will make a list of recommendations for improvements. One of them I know will be to add insulation in the attic and replace HVAC if more than 5 years old or low efficiency if new......

To get where you want you have to hit the big energy hogs first. Where you live HVAC is 80% of your electrical use. If you were to turn everything off except HVAC would only decreases your bill by 20%. Cut your cooling cost by 50%, which is possible, and you cut you bill 40% and can leave every else on and as is.

When the HVAC is done then you can worry about the small stuff. Once the HVAC, insulation, doors, windows and small potatoes are done wait at least 6 months to see where you are at. After that revisit solar if you want. Hopefully it won't be necessary after improvements.

The other thing to consider is the value and equity in your home. You are in TX, and solar is not popular in TX because energy is so cheap here and no State Net Metering Laws. That adds up to no ROI and thus adds little value to your home. But upgrades to HVAC and Energy Efficiency adds significant value and equity which you can sell if needed. Not only value it adds to your personal comfort.

So with you being in TX smart money gets an audit, make upgrades, reevaluate, and go from there. Solar will be the last step if taken.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

We have some small Oaks about 15 feet tall, 2 in front and 4 in rear of home. Not many big trees around here but the front window is around 6 x 15 feet. We usually have some kind of vine plant that covers 80% of window but the bright sun or a sudden cold front just kills it.

is that thermal screen like automotive tint or a porous fiber?

On the blower door: You won't blow/suck anything in. It's a tool to exaggerate leaks and find where gross air leaks are in a dwelling. Usually, something called a smoke pencil is used to identify air leakage. Lots of other simple tricks like sheets of plastic wrap that move in response to very small wind currents at baseboards, etc. I have an interesting story about going the other way and pressurizing a house, filling it w/smoke and then watching from the outside as the builder tried to explain the smoke coming out of every opening he claimed didn't exist.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Oct 2011

Gary has lots of good conservation ideas on his site:

Build It Solar will help people with Do It Yourself skills build solar projects that save money and reduce pollution. It is a "hands-on" site with detailed plans for solar projects including solar space heating, water heating, passive solar home design, solar pool heating, solar cooking, photovoltiacs, wind generators, and others.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf
                          Gary has lots of good conservation ideas on his site:

Build It Solar will help people with Do It Yourself skills build solar projects that save money and reduce pollution. It is a "hands-on" site with detailed plans for solar projects including solar space heating, water heating, passive solar home design, solar pool heating, solar cooking, photovoltiacs, wind generators, and others.

Thanks good site.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...